H23a1 swap Starting issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H23a1 swap Starting issues.

Its been a while since I've been active on here but I've run into an annoying issue with my car. I'll start by telling you what's in the car. It's a 92 EX 5spd. with an H23a1 and the H23a1 Trans (m2b4?). Only mods to the engine are WS2 catback, short ram intake, deleted power steering, and A/C.

So every morning the car takes about 30-60 seconds to start depending on temperature. It just cranks and cranks and eventually starts. If it's say under 75 degrees outside it takes a while to start. 75-80 and over outside temp, she starts up perfectly fine and seems to run beautifully. Once it's started on the cooler days it will misfire for about a minute then idles around 1k rpm and runs fine. The car has a new Main Relay, has no known vacuum leaks, all sensors on intake (IAC, MAF, FITV, etc.) have all been cleaned and tested. The EGR system is clean and functional and intake has also been cleaned inside and out. Also the coolant is fresh and was flushed out, and the engine was timed.

Also, the idle stays around 1k rpms and the idle screw is set to it's lowest setting. I know the F22 is supposed to be around 750-850rpm at idle, not so sure about the H23.

I brought the issue up to my boss and he tried advancing the timing. This made the car a lot more peppy and responsive especially higher up in the rpm range, but it did not make any difference with the starting issue. I should also add that the battery is new and perfectly fine.

I've personally come to a dead end with the issue and can't come up with a solution. Any and all help on the matter is appreciated! This is my daily driver so I need it to start reliably in the winter months to get to work.

Thanks

I am lost on this, but isn't our cars based on coolant temp sensor? If so a bad or out of wack coolant temp sensor can cause this....I know this is how Nissan rolls.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Mine did this once when I messed with the FITV. I screwed it in too far. It would start ok in the summer when I did it but first cold day It was a bitch and then every cold day after for a week.
      I adjusted it back out that weekend and it was fine after that.

steve

Comment

I am going to loosen the FITV a little tomorrow after work. (getting too dark in the parking lot to mess with it). I will post up the outcome the next day. I went out there today and cleaned up the cap and rotor and wiggled the cooling system sensors and switches so I guess tomorrow will be the test when I try to start her before work. I'm just hoping it's in the 60's so it's a legit test.

It's a pain in the ass because whenever I do anything to "fix" it, I can't find out if it was the fix until the car sits overnight and I try to start it when it's colder.

Thank you Thank you for the input!!

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
          I am lost on this, but isn't our cars based on coolant temp sensor? If so a bad or out of wack coolant temp sensor can cause this....I know this is how Nissan rolls.
          I just read this post and decided to check out the wiring diagrams for the stock F22 harness(which is the harness used) and the H23 harness and found out that the ECT Sensor and the ECT Switch A were reversed. I put them back to where they should be and I will find out in the morning if this was the cause.

Thank you for mentioning that, I'm not sure how the plugs got reversed but I am very glad to know now that they are where they are supposed to be.

Comment

So the car started right up today and the idle is finally below 1k. it's right about 750. However, it was pretty warm this morning so I still have to try it out on a cold morning to see if it solved the issue. I flash coded and came up with a 6, 7, and 14 which points to ECT, TPS, and IACV. My IACV has been cleaned and tested and no faults. TPS will be replaced in a week or so, and the ECT should be resolved by changing the plug locations. I will update on results if anyone is interested in reading.

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo View Post
              So the car started right up today and the idle is finally below 1k. it's right about 750. However, it was pretty warm this morning so I still have to try it out on a cold morning to see if it solved the issue. I flash coded and came up with a 6, 7, and 14 which points to ECT, TPS, and IACV. My IACV has been cleaned and tested and no faults. TPS will be replaced in a week or so, and the ECT should be resolved by changing the plug locations. I will update on results if anyone is interested in reading.
              updates man, im interested!
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

So day 2 on a semi-cool morning and she started right up no problem. I set the timing again to stock and played with the idle a bit. It's idling pretty smooth at 750rpms now but gets a little hesitant at times and drops to around 500rpms real quick then back up to 750. So accordztech, you have solved my starting problem!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Now I just need to replace the IACV and TPS and I should be all set for the winter months! I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if it starts consistently once it starts to get cold and post back up with any issues. Again THANK YOU!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bongo View Post
                  . So accordztech, you have solved my starting problem!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! Now I just need to replace the IACV and TPS and I should be all set for the winter months! I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if it starts consistently once it starts to get cold and post back up with any issues. Again THANK YOU!!
                  No problem man, im glad it was something simple.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Working...
                  X