Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24 hour of Lemons (Lamest Day at Nelson)!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 hour of Lemons (Lamest Day at Nelson)!!!

Well Oct 3-4 was the Lamest day at Nelson, a lemons race for $500 dollar cars .

a few other workers and myself (all of which have never been in wheel to wheel racing) decided to throw a team together and prep one of our team members cars, a 300k 90 civic dx hatch with an d16a6 swap that had a blown head gasket and bad rods.

4 weeks later the red hatch of doom emerged, it passed tech which surprised us and then got shipped off to the BS judges who try to asses the value of your car, and dock you laps based on how much extra you spent.

when getting judged the comments where not as we expected, such as "wow, this is actually a horrible car." "most teams get points docked, but you guys brought this to the track; it is lowering the value of this property by having it race here" .... yes our race car flew right under the radar.

some pics, one of our driver changes, not so organized but hey i made it belted in and refueled.

it was fast and preformed well, it just didn't look very pretty doing it.

we had an O2 wire get caught in the fan and had to swap in a new one and chase down a crank angle wire that broke in the harness. which took about another 3 hours of time, but it was an old rust dual point - multi point swap.

I happened to be a little excited and pulled into the pits fast, landing our car with some nice spray paint.

we caught a bogus penalty for supposedly drilling a 92-95 civic hatch. although our car had no damage they could find and everything was so rusty it wouldn't survive a hit , they still gave both our car and the other hatch a penalty box stay till dawn at 1:30am... WHICH SUCKED.

we still pulled back through the field at dawn finishing 84th out of 125.

Last edited by GreenMadness; 10-05-2009, 01:49 PM.
    Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

god this looks like SO MUCH FUN! ever since the first time i heard about it i've wanted to do it. getting a group of gear-heads together and making something from nothing while sprinkling in a bunch of humor is the type of thing i love. adding in the racing doesnt hurt either.

the only bad thing is the cost. yes its a $500 car, but you have to factor in the safety stuff too. a roll bar, seat, harnesses, firesuits, helmets, etc are not cheap. that and the entry to each event is 500 plus 100 per driver, thats pretty damn steep. there are no tracks around even close to me, let alone ones that host it. Ohio and Texas are the only ones within decent driving distance.

i'm still going to do it eventually

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

our cost per driver wasn't all that bad, but one of our drivers is one hell of a fabricator. either way it was about $600 per driver. the way to do it is to look for a team with only 4-5 drivers and try to get in that way, because it cuts the cost for everyone and gives all the drivers a little more time to rest.

but your right, that "$500" car is closer to 3k with the safety equipment in it.

ill get some after race pics with the damage (which is minimal)
      Last edited by GreenMadness; 10-05-2009, 02:56 PM.
      Engines hate me... thats why they commit suicide

Comment

awesome!
        峠 で ドリフト を して 下さい。

steam linky facebook, y0 俺 は 走り屋 です。 clickable ^

Comment

My friend was out there with there neon. They had to withdraw since the HG blew and warped the head.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Dude, you're my hero. That sh*t is so awesome.

I've been dreaming about entering a LeMons race for a while now, but I'm getting bogged down trying to assemble a reasonable crew and finding a storage place for the car.

Immense props for getting up the energy and gumption to carry out the race.

If/when I'm ready to enter a LeMons racer, I'll have questions for you.

Comment

Awesome! I see lots of e30 guys doing this as well. Looks like fun stuff.

You guys should rattle can your car in some theme.
              Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Looks like a lot of fun. What were some of the "top" finishing cars?

Comment

Working...
                X