H311RA151N : 1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of plans. I know. Again.

So the 90 Talon has a 6 bolt. And a lot of rust. Too much now that I started pulling off parts. This car, the 98, is going to get the 6 bolt after I rebuild it (not that anything is wrong with it) and will get the small 16g after I send it off to someone, probably Forced Performance, to get rebuilt. Not that it needs it either but I want to do it once and right.

Combined with the 6 bolt swap and doing the 5 speed conversion. I'm going to trade or sell my 1g 5 speed stuff for 2g 5 speed stuff.

So the goals are the same. 300-320whp. Streetable and reliable. The reliability aspect is difficult for DSM's. But I'm going to give it the best chance. Factory replacement pistons with head studs. Factory 6 bolt rods and ARP bolts. The 6 bolts will easily hold 500hp with nothing more than studs. So this should be really easy as for the bottom end. Cams will be modest, Kelford 258/264. Nothing else special. Will be tuning on Link. I'm pulling the 6 bolt late next month. Ideally I would like to have it completed by this time next year.

Comment

Cleaned this one up today. Replaced some hoses on it yesterday. Coolant supply for the turbocharger and an oil cooler hose.

I purchased the coolant return hose from the turbocharger as well. But being as it was more difficult to get to and after throughly inspecting it I decided to leave it. It's still in really good condition. I'll leave it until I install the small 16g.

Comment

Performance Partout about a week ago had a very new HKS Hi-Power catback for sale for $235. BNIB they go for about $500. Shipped I got it for $285. I wanted the Thermal R&D however for less than $300 for a full 3" catback I couldn't pass it up. I might cut the muffler off and just run 3" straight pipe out the back. Don't know yet. It won't be going on until I get the 16g on along with a few other things.

Comment

The T25 is done. I've got the T28 that I'm going to put on it. Just purchased everything needed to install it. Fortunately I won't have to worry about trashing the T28. At least for a while.

Comment

I got the HKS hi-power midpipe today. The axle back is still in shipping. This thing is almost new. Super pleased.

T28 install parts shipped today. Expected Thursday. I'm going to put the exhaust on with the factory downpipe for now. Not big on the fart can. Might try to paint the can flat black and leave the tip polished to be more inconspicuous. I don't know.

Comment

I forgot that the T28 had a broken bolt in the exhaust housing. I was going to remove the exhaust housing and have a machine shop extract the bolt. However when I did I noticed a slightly bent fin on the exhaust wheel. So I made a decision. It will probably need a new exhaust wheel which may or may not be a part of the shaft. I decided to send it off to Forced Performance for a rebuild. I sent it off today.

I imagine it will be $500. I could get a 16g for that, or my 16g rebuilt which was the original plan. However I already ordered the gaskets and such for the T28.

The T28 is only slightly less lb/min than a small 16g. I will just run a couple more lbs of boost on the T28 than I would the small 16g. And have better spool. So no loss there.

The HKS axleback arrived. Very pleased in the catbacks condition.

Gaskets from STM.

Comment

It's probably going to be two weeks until I get the T28 back. So I decided to check some other things.

I preformed another compression test. Last one was 2 years and 4,000 miles ago. I read the plugs and reinstalled.

Comment

More on the plugs.

You can tell that it's rich. Obviously. Which in this case is good. I knew something wasn't right. The turbine shaft didn't have as much play as I thought it would since it's last inspection 4,000 miles ago. When I found play I turned the boost down from 19psi to 13.5ish psi. Also good. So the sound I was hearing wasn't turbine to housing interference. It was a turbo manifold to head leak. The gasket failed in two or more places.

In the picture you can see that it's rich. Which is about right as the fuel trims are maxed at 12.5%. It's not great but better than being lean.

You can look at the strap and see the timing bands. The base timing is not very defined but it's there. Even more notable in person. It has great base timing.

You can also see the second band, the timing advance band going around the strap. It doesn't have much timing advance but it's there. Being as it's rich it shouldn't have much timing. So that's expected.

The gap was spot on.

From the readings I believe I have located the problem. I'm glad I sent the T28 off to get rebuilt. Hopefully the turbo checks out and is found to be worthy by Forced Performance. The T28 doesn't require any aftermarket parts. So the install is super clean.

The boost would build to 13 or 14psi real quick then level out at 10psi at any RPM. That was due to the exhaust gases escaping from around the flanges on the turbo manifold.

Being as I had a lot of lost power the T28 is going to feel super quick.

I'm still learning turbo cars. I've owned it a while but given myself time to learn and figure out what it needs and I want. Pretty stoked.

Comment

Spoke with Ryan @ Forced Performance. He said the T28 was in pretty good condition. He ran through all the threads, removed the broken bolt and is going to refresh it. Only $330. Because everyone is going to the shootout I'll probably have the turbo back in my possession in two weeks. Pretty excited.

Comment

Last edited by H311RA151N; 08-09-2019, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Since the turbo rebuild from FP was a bit cheaper than expected I went ahead and purchased the Megan 3" downpipe from Extreme PSI.

So I will be installing a full turbo back exhaust when I install the T28. Should be a night and day difference.

No exhaust/boost leaks, bigger turbo, full exhaust.

I need a shift box and DSM link. Those are the next upgrades I think.

Comment

The air filter was kind of dirty. So I got a replacement. I also got a couple quarts of oil. Combined the left over from the last two oil change and it's about 3 quarts. It takes around 4.3 qts. I'll have to drain the oil when I install the rebuilt T28. And picked up a new oil filter.

Patiently awaiting the fresh T28. I think I have everything. Megan downpipe should arrive by the 16th which is Friday.

Comment

Megan 3" downpipe. Really happy to see the tab next to the O2 housing flange. It's imperative to keeping things from flexing and blowing out gaskets.

Comment

I realized I had not updated the first post of this thread in years. It was seriously outdated.

So I have just about everything to "finish" the car. I'm stopping at 300whp. Everything here will net that or close. I may need Injectors but 560's at most which are a used Evo injector and run under $200.

Once it's "done" I will remove the interior and remove any surface rust and powder coat / paint anything such as bracing and so forth throughout the interior. Basically super clean and organize the car. Apply sound deadening etc.

I'm planning on purchasing a 15+ pearl white WRX in the spring. So this needs to be "finished" prior.

FUTURE PLANS:

FueLab 818 Complete Fuel Feed Upgrade Kit (Tank to Fuel Rail) (Purchased)
                              Walbro 190lph Fuel Pump (Purchased)
                              STM Fuel Pump Rewire Kit (Purchased)
                              HKS Hi-Power Catback (Purchased)
                              Megan Racing 3" Stainless Downpipe (Purchased)
                              Forced Performance Rebuilt Big T28 (Purchased)
                              VRSF Front Mount Intercooler Kit w/ 1G BOV Flange
                              Forge Motorsport 1G Recirculated Blow Off Valve
                              OEM Timing Belt Component & Water Pump Kit
                              DSM Link V3
                              Innovate MTX-L+ Wideband
                              Ortiz Custom Pods Steering Column Cover Pod
                              Hallman Pro Boost Boost Controller
                              Forced Four Shift Box DSM Plus2

Comment

Forced Performance is done with the T28. It will be arriving Saturday. I'm going to try to have everything off and ready when it shows up. Hopefully I have everything that's needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X