Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Custom mesh grill- my way!

Custom mesh grill- my way!

Alright, this is the mesh grill done like my car has it, it requires no bondo, no drilling, no sanding, paint is optional, and is actually really simple to do. Some like it and some dont, and if you do like it, heres how you do it.
    Materials needed-
    tin snips
    screwdriver
    spray paint(optional)
    4 screws(more optional)
    2 dollar piece of gutter guard from home depot or lowes or
    some hardware store.

The top is the after, and the bottom is the before.

Instructions.
    1)Remove old grill
    2)get out your supplies
    3)Cut the grill to a 30" total length. It should look like this

4)Now, 2 inches over from each side cut up 1 inch from the bottom(please note, this is also equal to 4 links in the mesh.

5)Fold the mesh over along that line on the side. And on the bottom, fold it up as this will end up being where the screws go and will sit behind that little lip part on the bumper.

6)NOw, fold over that mesh at the bottom so that it overlaps, this extra mesh helps keep it secure when you screw it into the bumper. Do this on both sides

7)At the top, it should look kinda funny, fold over the top over about a centimeter on each side and this will sit over lights.
    side note: (You might want to do this step after you have put it in the bumper, i left a little bit on mine,but plan on cutting it off when i get another pair of tin snips.)

8)You should be about done now, you can paint here or you can paint at the beginning. You can also do some sort of custom emblem here like i did, or you can think of something yourself. I used my old accord emblem from the rear and mounted it with extra heavy duty double sided tape. Its almost as thick as weather stripping. I put it on the emblem, and then on the inside of the grill behind the emblem and it secures rather nicely.
    9)Here goes the bumper insertion. Put it down there where the old grill was and use 4 screws(or more if you want) to secure it to the bumper. They are marked on the following pic. The far end screws go through two layers to make sure it is nice and snug.

VOILA! It should be done, you might have to play with the angle of the mesh to guarantee it fits right and allows for easy closing of the hood. This is the method and it worked for me. If anyone has any other questions just email me at chessboxer@hotmail.com or just pm me, and i will try and help as best i can. T
    his works on my 93 accord, and it should for the others too, i know the 90-91's had a diff grill, but this is easily bendable mesh, so it shouldnt be a problem getting it to work. Good luck and enjoy!
    2010 Taurus SHO - Livernois Goodies
    2002 BMW 330 CI Convertible - HUNK OF JUNK

any pics of it on the car?
    10-25-03 RIP little brown coupe

Comment

yeah, here you go, cant believe i forgot that part of it
      Attached Files

Comment

wow, nice! I gotta try that, i might be getting an r33 bumper soon, i'll try and bust that out on it! it's gunna be crazy cool! Thanks man!.
        -pax217
        Seattle, WA

Comment

good job buddy, exactly how i did mine

how did you get the "accord" symbol to sttay? im working on a new grille idea and gonna put "accord" on it
          MEMBER'S RIDE

i was driving along today and the check engine light came on.
          i pulled over and looked under the hood.
          the engine was still there...
          ...silly light!

Comment

i just used heavy duty double sided tape(which isnt really tape. I put it on the back of the emblem, stuck it on the grill, and then on the opposite side of the grill, i put the double sided tape where it touched through the holes and attached it self nice and snug to the tape on the back of the accord emblem. its out of sight and you cant even tell its there, does this explanation make any since?

Comment

yeah, sounds good dood, thanks man

gonna go see if i can get mine off now
              MEMBER'S RIDE

...silly light!

Comment

cool, post up some pics after you get your grill done the way you want it, i wanna see what types of variations are possible on this.

Comment

k well im going all black, so i gotta get paid then pick up some primer and paint etc... the grille wont be going on till spring, but i should have pics up in a week (its done just needs painting)
                  MEMBER'S RIDE

...silly light!

Comment

great wright up but i dont like the look

1966 Chevy Nova
                    1974 Super Beetle
                    2012 Ford Super Cobra Jet
                    2004 Honda Element
                    2004 Honda Ruckus
                    2003 Honda Ruckus

www.weezoonline.com
                    www.facebook.com/weezoonline

Comment

cool, but it looks flemsy.
                      I........love my car. Simple as that.

Comment

nice diy a lot of people like how that looks

"Tucking tires and wires."
                        The Chronicles.

Comment

quick question... if i want to paint my grille flat black, do i need to use primer and clear coat? or will the spray paint be able to last without chipping? i have krylon flat black

Click Here for My Member's Page | Free money for searching the web. Needs PayPal account

Comment

id put on a primer first at least, i know mine flaked once from debris and thaty was without clearcoat or primer, but then again, respray took about 3 minutes, so its your call.

Comment

i did something similar, but didnt keep it in. it looked too sloppy. the grill
                              CB7 93 LX AT.

MY_CB7

Comment

Working...
                              X