EXT: Vinyl sticker/decal install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Vinyl sticker/decal install

First of let me say that this is a pretty simple DIY, but I did a couple of searches and didn't see it covered. I've tried to include the critical steps for a clean, bubbless, aligned, and well adhered sticker install. This is a glass application, but prep may vary for a painted surface:

Things you'll need:

Rubbing alcohol
    Paper towels
    Masking tape
    Measuring tape or ruler

Credit card or something to squeegie out bubbles with
    A fairly warm/dry area to complete the work
    And, well your graphics (duh)

Determine the location, take the rubbing alcohol and prep/degrease the surface for application

Next, place the sticker on the window (backing and all) with a couple pieces of masking tape

Then, do some measuring across the sill or a parallel surface to center/level

Next, measure once more...then flip/hinge the sitcker and it's backing up and peel off the backing on the sticker

Then, slowly roll the sticker down starting from the top pressing it against the glass with the squeegie as you go.....this is going to help eliminate bubbles from getting caught behind the sticker. Once it's completely down, go over it a few more times to make sure it's well adhered

Next, slowly.....slowly peel the front paper off. It's best to pull sideways and back as apposed to out to prevent the new sticker from possibly lifting at the corners

Then, inspect your beautiful new sticker/s. If there are bubbles, you can either place part of the backing over the area and try to squeegie them to the nearest edge. If that doesn't work, take a sharp pin and touch the sticker in the middle of the bubble, making a very small perferation in the vinyl. Then squeegie the air/bubble out toward the perferation. Use paper over the sticker when pressing out bubbles, you could rip the vinyl sticker if it's not protected. Good luck!!!

Stickers provided by erikm, for more info or to purchase click HERE!
    Last edited by maroonaccord2.2; 03-23-2006, 11:27 PM. Reason: added info regarding temperature
    1992 Accord LX - SOLD

haha nice... hopefully this will help alot of people out

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord
      haha nice... hopefully this will help alot of people out
      i would have hoped people would have been smart enough to put decals on themselves...apparently not.
      Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

Every level of skill hits this board at one point or another, I thought that this might benefit the need-to-know crowds....LOL
        1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by williamsvt
          i would have hoped people would have been smart enough to put decals on themselves...apparently not.

oh no, don't think i didn't know how to! i did... i was just saying it was a nice write up for something that some people might not know?

(sorry if that comment wasn't directed completely at me)

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord
            oh no, don't think i didn't know how to! i did... i was just saying it was a nice write up for something that some people might not know?

(sorry if that comment wasn't directed completely at me)
            lol..no it wasn't directed at you, it was more of a sarcastic comment. However, i actually am sure there is a newb out there that does not know how to do it.

it is a fantastic write-up props for doing it.
            Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

there is also the soap and water method!

Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD. You know you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences.

My Member Thread

^ Updated pics 3/3/06

Comment

^^^^ Well shoot, post your own DIY.....LOL, j\k...
                1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by OnE eYe GuY
                  there is also the soap and water method!
                  i use that too.

Comment

Working...
                  X