Falken ZE912 vs BF Goodrich Traction T/A 195/60 R15

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Falken ZE912 vs BF Goodrich Traction T/A 195/60 R15

I need to get new ALL-SEASON tires before this winter for my red 91 DX Accord 5spd. I currently have BF Goodrich Traction T/A 195/60 R15 that lasted 50,XXX miles and had 60,000 mile warranty. BFG is a good tire overall, however I don't like how they cracked inbetween the treads like halfway through the life of the tire, this is not normal compared with other tires and I feel the life of the tire is not what it should be with this issue. This issue happened on like 4 different sets of tires my family owns on these Accords, makes me wonder if they had a rubber quality issue/defect. Anyhow, that is why I am up for trying a new tire.

I get my tires at Sears and the following are all for 195/60 R15 setups as I'm on stock alloy rims. I am currently debating between Falken ZE912 (65K mile warranty) and Michelin Agility/Touring (80K mile warranty).

Please reply if you have had personal experience with either tire and give me your thoughts in all conditions (i.e. wet, dry, cornering, snow, wear). Thanks.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

I may even consider the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, cpMike I know has them and has had good experience and they get excellent reviews. The question is, price and treadwear.

I'm basically looking for a good all-season tire in all conditions that has atleast 60,000 mile treadlife warranty and $90 max per tire.

Comment

The Falkens should be pretty good. I do not have firsthand experience with the ZE912, but I do with it's older brother the ZE512. Great in rain, pretty good treadwear as well. I have no snow experience in NC, so I can't give thoughts on that.

I am a fan of Michelin all season tires though. When my parents bought their Accord EX in 1990 the OEM Michelin tires lasted something like 80k-90k. And when they got a '97 Odyssey in 1997 the OEM Michelin tires lasted like 75k. My dad bought Michelin LTX M/S for his truck last year. Those are excellent in the rain, and I think he has like 30k on them now and they show little wear.
      Gary A.K.A. Carter
      [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man
        The Falkens should be pretty good. I do not have firsthand experience with the ZE912, but I do with it's older brother the ZE512. Great in rain, pretty good treadwear as well. I have no snow experience in NC, so I can't give thoughts on that.

I am a fan of Michelin all season tires though. When my parents bought their Accord EX in 1990 the OEM Michelin tires lasted something like 80k-90k. And when they got a '97 Odyssey in 1997 the OEM Michelin tires lasted like 75k. My dad bought Michelin LTX M/S for his truck last year. Those are excellent in the rain, and I think he has like 30k on them now and they show little wear.
        Yea, Michelins are great quality and although more expensive, do last longer than most other brands. I think it is a good tradeoff, I may pay more and go with Michelins that atleast 60,000 mile treadlife warranty to make it worthwhile.

After reviewing online, it seems the ZE912 is replacing the ZE512 like you said G-man and is a good bang for the buck tire, but the Michelin Pilot Exalto have better ratings in just about every category, I have to see what Sears has their treadlife warranty at. Otherwise, I'll go Michelin Agility/Touring.

Comment

I went through the same exact thing when i went to get new tires. I am a big fan of falkens now that i put them on my rotas. I have the 512's on my jetta and i always loved them. I recently got some slipstreams and wrapped them with 912's. Rain or shine they seem to be great either way. No complaints here and they even look good. I hope this helps you decide. Btw i got them in 205 50 16.
          Last edited by Fatman88; 09-19-2007, 01:01 PM. Reason: Tire Size was wrong

Comment

You could probably read up the reviews on tirerack.com to see what others think about them

Comment

I've had the falken ziex512 and the 912. The 912 has better grip then the 512. Tread wear I can't comment on yet because the tires only have about 3k on them and they have only been driven on in dry weather.

The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S is probably my new favorite all season tire. I bought a set less then a month ago, and the improvement it made on the car's handling is amazing. THe exalto carries a much higher cost though, but the same goes for most Michelin's. The tire has been well worth the money so far, but it's too early to judge if I would buy it again. The tire is rated for 45k, so I still have about 44k to go before I know if I would buy it again.

Some tires I regret buying are the Yokohama YK520 (High Performance All-Season) and the Kumho Solus HP4 716 (Grand Touring All-Season).

Comment

I have driven on the Pilot Exhalto A/S too. My grandmother has them on her '05 Corolla. Great tires, expensive, but great.
                Gary A.K.A. Carter
                [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Since I already know Michelins are good tires and it seems the Falkens have good reviews, I am going to try Falkens. I'm also going to get an alignment done at the same time to ensure full life on the tires.

I know I need to get a front camber kit on my red accord as I had -1.6 degree camber last alignment on both sides up front. Rear camber was fine. This is because I installed H&R sport springs on my Tokico HP shocks. So I'll make sure to get the camber kit installed before tires.

Comment

I say go for the falkens Ive had 3 sets of the falken 512s and i loved them they were a great all around tire. Even pretty decent in the snow. I havent tried the 912s yet though but i will next time im due for new tires!

Comment

I'm going Falken ZE912's, thanks for your suggestions. Besides, I have never had experience with Falkens and hear good things, it is about time.

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

It's interesting that you're seeing cracking issues with your BFG's Cisco. I had BFG Touring TA's on my 92-93 Sedan alloys and the sidewalls cracked at less than 20K miles. Two of them were bad enough that I removed the tires from the car and put back on my original steel wheels and had them replaced.

I can't recommend BFG after my experiences with them. Even my newer BFG's had issues like the first set.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
                            It's interesting that you're seeing cracking issues with your BFG's Cisco. I had BFG Touring TA's on my 92-93 Sedan alloys and the sidewalls cracked at less than 20K miles. Two of them were bad enough that I removed the tires from the car and put back on my original steel wheels and had them replaced.

I can't recommend BFG after my experiences with them. Even my newer BFG's had issues like the first set.
                            sounds like a personal problem, i havent had any issues with the set of BFG gforce sports.

i run the tires hard too, the positive side of the tire wore faster than the negative
                            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I'm going with a dedicated winter tire for my stock EX wheels, most likely a Dayton Winterforce 195/60R15. I've got a set of 17x7 Konig Rated R wheels that are crying out for a set of Falken Ziex ZE912s for the other 3 seasons.
                              ~If everybody you knew jumped off a bridge...the bodies would pile high enough to break your fall if you jumped after them.~

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
                              '93 EX 5-speed coupe
                              Short ram intake
                              Tenrai Himoto catback
                              Smashed front end
                              Random bits of deer blood & hair

Comment

Working...
                              X