Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Please Help, Compression Woes..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ETCG made a somewhat recent video on this. I find that most people hear of pouring water in the intake of an engine and think it sounds absolutely insane.

Comment

Taking from a text sent to a friend.

Last yrs it was 190 190 190 210 dry
      When we did it last week when car wasn't starting it was 180 180 110 150
      When I did it today I had the gas pedal down and I got 190 190 200 and 200.... with foot not on pedal I got 185 185 185 185

Perhaps since my battery was dyin the other day it didn't get full crank. I did each test today 4 times per cylnder.. 2 holdin gas 2 times not holding gas... and I also did the water thing.. the car was warm enough. Held it at 2500rpm sprayed mist intside throttle. And nothing really happened. I was doin it for 15mins. Then after that I did the dry test. I didn't do wet cuz my #s we good.

I was told by a good honda guy who deals with accords that the motor is healthy.
      **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
      Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
      Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
        Perhaps since my battery was dyin the other day it didn't get full crank.
        Well, if the cranking speed was slower when you did the last two tests then it's not a big surprise that the compression numbers were less with the last two tests. There are at least two factors related to cranking speed that might affect pressure on the compression test;

The pistons rings leak, even when in good condition (which is why pressures are somewhat higher for a 'wet' compression test, even with a 'good' cylinder). The more slowly the piston rises the more leakage occurs, so the lower the compression psi.

And;

As the gas (air) is quickly compressed it gets a lot hotter, so it expands (or tries to). Of course it's being forcibly compressed, so this manifests as raised pressure rather than as greater volume. This is additional pressure rise added to the pressure increase caused by the cylinder volume decreasing and forcing X gas quantity into a smaller space. The more slowly the piston rises the more slowly the gas is compressed and the less hot it gets (the same heat is generated in the gas for the same degree of compression, but there is more time for it to be cooled by the resulting heat radiating and conducting into the metal), so there is less 'expansion' and less heat related pressure increase.

You may also get more gas expelled back out of still partially open valves (as the piston begins to ascend) when cranking more slowly compared to cranking more quickly.

I also did the water thing.. the car was warm enough. Held it at 2500rpm sprayed mist intside throttle. And nothing really happened. I was doin it for 15mins.
        I doubt a mist from a spray bottle is going to introduce enough water to do much at all in a brief period of time. Water injection introduces water as a mist, and is known to be associated with clean combustion chambers and valves, ports etc., but this cleaning occurs over a prolonged period of water mist being injected.

I was told by a good honda guy who deals with accords that the motor is healthy.
        I suspect he's correct.
        Last edited by johnl; 12-14-2014, 10:59 PM.
        Regards from Oz,
        John.

Comment

I appreciates everyones help. Thanks u. 4 real!
          **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
          Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
          Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
            ETCG made a somewhat recent video on this. I find that most people hear of pouring water in the intake of an engine and think it sounds absolutely insane.

I have done it, water is a great cleaner. But don't pour it in!!!
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I was there to assist in the very first test done a year ago and the last test that was done just today..Still healthy as it was a year ago. Absolutely nothing has changed.
              www.PreludePower.com
              BB SQUAD MEMBER #28 V.2

Comment

Well thank goodness this worked out well. 185 in all cylinders is awesome!
                *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Working...
                X