Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Car shuts off when stopping only ;/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car shuts off when stopping only ;/

I just saved a 93 SE sedan with auto trans from going to the junk yard. I bought the car in a police auction. 100% sure bumps lived in it. ;/ The car needs a lot of love the bright side is it only has 107k miles The car looks like it was parked a while. Car drove good 10 miles home with no issues until i started working on it. I did the oil and transmission fluid change and brakes. Then i cleaned the EGR and idle control valve i also changed all spark plugs and plugs gaskets with the new head gasket kit. After that i started having starting issues which was the main fuel relay.

Now the car drives good except when getting to a stop it just shuts off. it re-starts with no problem but once i get to a stop light shuts off unless i baby it to a stop.

These are codes i have right now
    Check engine code 12

was also showing code 43 but got fix being the main fuel relay

D4 codes 1,2,3,7,8

was also showing code 14 but got fix when i cleaned the EGR intake manifold passage

I just finished doing the timing with light gun and replacing fuel filter but didn't fix the problem. I'm planning to do valve adjustment soon. I'm in the learning phase right now. Hope somebody can help me out

Can you be more specific when you say "shuts off"? quickly shuts off? chokes itself out due to lack of fuel or air?

Does it idle fine once you restart?

Comment

code 12 is your EGR, you cleaned the passage and the egr I would double check make sure you vaccum hoses are good, your connector is on tight and you torqued the egr valve down. 14 is Idle control valve, so its interesting you cleaned all these and then now you get codes. How did you clean them?
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Check your grounds and battery cables. I had damaged cables and a snapped fender ground, as well as a battery that wasn’t properly tied down. My car would shut off when things shifted as I stopped. Easy fix, but not an obvious first thing to look at!

Also consider replacing the ignition switch. It’s cheap and easy, and could also be a cause for a shutdown.

Finally, code 43 is most often a bad o2 sensor. If you find that the code comes back once you’ve driven for a while, replace your sensor with a Denso or NTK unit (no other brand... especially Bosch.)

Comment

Here are two vids I uploaded on YouTube with the shutting off issue.

http://youtu.be/lffXwGeOu6E

https://youtu.be/uEZOrs8mhFI

I drove 10 miles to work today to test it and ran find until it shut off on every complete stop I made five times to be exact. The freeway exit too but it shut off before even coming to complete stop. It seems to happen when the rpm gets around 1000. Hope these vids help out.

Comment

Here is a before and after of the EGR manifold passage. I used a coat hanger wire and brush to deep clean the passages also used a vacuum.

Last edited by FAMOUS_GODSON; 02-09-2020, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              Can you be more specific when you say "shuts off"? quickly shuts off? chokes itself out due to lack of fuel or air?

Does it idle fine once you restart?
              I guess you can say it quickly shuts off once it get to around 1000rpm or complete stop. I included two youtube vids that I uploaded showing my issue.
              http://youtu.be/lffXwGeOu6E

http://https://youtu.be/uEZOrs8mhFI
              Last edited by FAMOUS_GODSON; 02-11-2020, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Check your grounds and battery cables. I had damaged cables and a snapped fender ground, as well as a battery that wasn’t properly tied down. My car would shut off when things shifted as I stopped. Easy fix, but not an obvious first thing to look at!

Also consider replacing the ignition switch. It’s cheap and easy, and could also be a cause for a shutdown.

Finally, code 43 is most often a bad o2 sensor. If you find that the code comes back once you’ve driven for a while, replace your sensor with a Denso or NTK unit (no other brand... especially Bosch.)

Thanks for the advice deeverote, I'm definitely gonna check out the battery cables since I had to replace the negative cable when first purchase the car. Cable was all chewed up only had 3 inch from the frame. As for the ignition it seems to be pretty good doesn't jiggle or move at all. Thanks on the advice on the o2 sensor. I'm glad I had purchase the Denso o2 a while back for my other cb. I'm just gonna wait to see if the code pops up again to replace.

Comment

Originally posted by FAMOUS_GODSON View Post
                  Here is a before and after of the EGR manifold passage. I used a coat hanger wire and brush to deep clean the passages also used a vacuum.

Ahhhh what??

Comment

What is your cold idle and normal idle rpm? Could it be that your idle is too low and it is stalling because of that?

Also check you brake booster, it may be leaking causing an excessive vacuum leak ending in a stall.

Comment

have you tried putting it in neutral before coming to a stop? will the engine stall in that case, too?

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostwhite View Post
                        What is your cold idle and normal idle rpm? Could it be that your idle is too low and it is stalling because of that?

Also check you brake booster, it may be leaking causing an excessive vacuum leak ending in a stall.
                        I was thinking that was a the issue too Ghostwhite, so i ended up checking it too but everything seems fine with the brake booster. The idle at cold start is at 1,500rpm then at warm temp is 750rpm it seems normal. i compared it to my other cb.

i ended up doing the same steps like in this vid
                        https://youtu.be/_IIHgURXfLE
                        Last edited by FAMOUS_GODSON; 02-12-2020, 12:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrizzly92 View Post
                          have you tried putting it in neutral before coming to a stop? will the engine stall in that case, too?
                          Chrizzly92, it does also stall in neutral doesn't make a difference. Today i was test driving it and notice that it also dies when making a U-turn even tho putting some pressure to the gas pedal. ;/...
                          Last edited by FAMOUS_GODSON; 02-12-2020, 12:55 AM. Reason: Wording

Comment

Ok Woh ...

Skip all the codes, forget the EGR. This is simply a IACV issue or a ELD. It's the job of the IACV to keep the idle from going too low and stalling. It's the job of the ELD to feed the ECU the info. There are other factors of course the ECU takes into consideration.

But thinking you cleaned the IACV it is now simply not working. Extra load on the engine (brakes) = stall.

Can you make it stall in park by reving and then jamming on brakes?

Comment

I agree with Raf, the idle speed is not being maintained when there is a load on the system. The U-turn stalling is very telling, power steering brings the RPMs down, the IACV should be keeping them up to prevent a stall.

Comment

Working...
                              X