Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1991 Accord LX Race Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do enjoy my stage 4 clutch master 6 puck sprung with the upgraded pressure plate.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

My team mate who bought it couldn't recall what brand it was, he just remembered that it was "stage 1". I found a part number on it and googled it. It was FX brand which was also called F1. It's basically a chinese ebay clutch. No wonder.
      ==========================
      1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
      1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
      Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
      Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
      M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
      Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

The copies of the copies. XTR, FX, F1... there are more, for sure! They usually don’t post up clamping forces or torque ratings. Just “stages”. Which makes you wonder what’s in the box! Ha ha

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
          My team mate who bought it couldn't recall what brand it was, he just remembered that it was "stage 1". I found a part number on it and googled it. It was FX brand which was also called F1. It's basically a chinese ebay clutch. No wonder.
          Just ordered one of these
          https://www.advancedclutch.com/produ...=p2446-c269538
          M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.

Comment

Over the course of many weeks we got the clutch in. It's a big job. We don't have a hoist so this is a rough sketch.

Disassemble the right side suspension and get the axle out. Remove the frame member underneath that connects the front and back cross members. Disassemble the left side suspension enough to get the axle out. Remove the half-shaft. Remove the intake to but not including the throttle body. Disconnect all of the wires and linkages that connect to the trans including all of the things that are anchored to things that are attached to the trans. Take out the starter motor. disconnect the upper radiator hose. Disconnect the trans mount, support the motor/trans with a jack.
            Now you can start taking off the bolts in the bell housing, and the support brackets including the bracket from the rear trans mount. Wrap something around the clutch slave cylinder to keep the piston from pushing out. Once you get the trans disconnected pull it out so you get the shaft out and try to lower it out the bottom. OH DAMN!! look the clutch line is connected to the top of the trans!! undo that bracket quick!! It does not fit easily. You have to work it around and back and forth and eventually get it on the ground. Remove the pressure plate, remove the totally destroyed clutch, the flywheel looks pretty good resurfacing is for race teams with money. THEN in the immortal words of Mr. Chilton, "Installation is the reverse of removal."
            You'll also find that the trans fluid comes out so that'll need replacing.

Last weekend we got it 95% back in and yesterday my son and I got the trans fluid in and the wheels on and drove it out of the way so we could start working on his first car which is a 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon 5-speed. We managed to get the front brake lines replaced and the brakes bled.

Comment

Curious on why y’all pulled the intake manifold?
              ~Nick~
              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                Curious on why y’all pulled the intake manifold?
                Not the manifold, just from the air filter box to and not including the throttle body.

Comment

Well hopefully it gets to race again soon 👍🏻

Comment

What do the car names mean?

The Minnow and Notorious RBG?
                    Turbo H23a3 build has begun
                    01-01-2019

Comment

Did you see my clutch replacement?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...&postcount=138

I used this "eClutchmasters" lightweight 10lb steel flywheel for $115

and a stock Exedy clutch kit. IMHO we're not pushing enough power to need anything more than a stock clutch, and stock is usually pretty forgiving of bad driving lol

This stuff has been great for 3+ races. Just make sure you balance the pressure plate + flywheel as a unit at the machine shop before installing

edit: guess they changed their name to "clutchxperts" now lmao
                      https://clutchxperts.com/index.php/e...-2-2l-2-3.html
                      Last edited by aventari; 12-24-2019, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bjaccord View Post
                        What do the car names mean?

The Minnow and Notorious RBG?
                        Well since we race in 24 hours of lemons, you're supposed to have a theme. The first car was done up like the boat, the Minnow from Gilligan's Island. The current car is a Ruth Bader Ginsberg theme. We're looking at changing that before our next race, maybe to Rick and Morty. But I also considered painting it florescent blue and doing a blue screen of death theme. That would certainly make it easy to spot, but the paint would cost about $100 and I hear that the day-glo effect fades after a few weeks in the sun.

We raced last weekend at Laguna Seca with Lucky Dog Racing League. It was not our best showing. I drove second on Saturday, and had intermittant fuel problems until it blew an axle during, got that fixed and the fuel pump issues got worse then went away and got worse again. We considered cutting a hole in the body to get to the pump, but decided not. It ran fine much of Saturday, and Jason, our hotshoe driver got a 1:53.67 which I am impressed with.

The power loss from the fuel pump went from intermittent to persistent, and when I saw him come around turn 11, loose power, and a half dozen much faster cars came around all at once and had to swerve to avoid him, I called him in and we called it a day. That killed me. Most weekends since this summer have been spent getting ready for this, and driving at Laguna Seca was a lifelong dream. I got 11 laps, 3 with fuel problems and 2 with terrible shaking due to a self destructing inner left CV joint.

So for the next race we'll have to have two spare axles on hand. I'm not looking forward to the fuel pump job. The tank is 3/4 full, so I'll have to drain it, drop the tank, and then replace it. I might try to siphon some of the gas out before jacking it way up and draining the rest.

Some of the cars at that race were shockingly fast. Overall fast lap was 1:41! To put that in perspective the production car track record is held by Randy Pobst in a 2019 McLaren Senna at 1:27:62. There were pro drivers, including Randy, and pro teams there. It ain't amateur racing. I think we are going back to Lemons. I prefer passing to getting passed, and we weren't doing much passing.

I still love how the car handles. For much more detail on the prep for the race, you can look at my raceblog:

http://picknpullracing.wordpress.com

Comment

I believe our next race will be a lemons race at the full 5 mile Thunderhill course in May. I love that track, it is just epic.

Comment

Why do you have to drop the tank to reaplce the fuel pump? I thought there was the access cover on the back seat area.

That makes me worry if we have a pump die during a race.

edit: Just searched around, wow I had no idea. I'm going to preemptively cut an access hole this weekend before Willow Springs. I've had a spare fuel pump in my spare kit this whole time, just assuming I could install in a few minutes during a race.
                            Last edited by aventari; 03-10-2020, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aventari View Post
                              Why do you have to drop the tank to reaplce the fuel pump? I thought there was the access cover on the back seat area.

That makes me worry if we have a pump die during a race.

edit: Just searched around, wow I had no idea. I'm going to preemptively cut an access hole this weekend before Willow Springs. I've had a spare fuel pump in my spare kit this whole time, just assuming I could install in a few minutes during a race.
                              That's what I thought too until I opened up that little access hatch on the passenger side and found it was just the fuel level sensor sender unit. We talked about cutting an access hatch. But I didn't like the idea of opening up the floorpan and putting a hole in the structure right there. If you do cut a hatch there you might want to reinforce the area by welding square tube around the hole.

Comment

crazy figure 8 racing with lots of cb7s

I stumbled on this FWD class figure 8 racing video today and after a bit I started noticing how many of these are cb7s

https://youtu.be/6ZZyP7VlZcM?t=465

Comment

Working...
                                X