Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

When adjusting FITV... Temp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When adjusting FITV... Temp question

This morning was particularly cold, my girlfriend went to go start her car for work, and it hunted pretty badly it seemed. I adjusted the FITV previously after cleaning it a month or so ago.

The question is, is it a better idea to adjust the FITV when the ambient/outdoor temperature is at its coldest? Say, winter, or night-time in fall/spring? (To me it would make sense considering it's for cold starts (?)

I'm asking because I adjusted it in the summer, I'm assuming that's where I went wrong. I did it with a cold engine (if I can remember right) while it hunted and tightened it down till it stopped hunting, it wasn't super tight but nice and snug. The ambient temperature was likely in mid to high sixties ( I did it early in the morning.)

Advice appreciated, I've cleaned the IACV as well too.

Today is the first time doing it and has it happened again since? I don't know much about the FITV, but that would seem to make sense based on what i do know.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7_Saloon View Post
      Today is the first time doing it and has it happened again since? I don't know much about the FITV, but that would seem to make sense based on what i do know.

Sometimes it will happen after she puts it into Park after driving, but evens out after the 2nd rev.

This is the first actual "cold" start the engine has had since last season, it was pretty damn cold this morning. I will have to notice tomorrow morning too. Going to have to notice because I need to adjust it lol.

Comment

Also, I'd double check the IACV since you mentioned cleaning it.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7_Saloon View Post
          Also, I'd double check the IACV since you mentioned cleaning it.
          After it's bath I tested it with a couple wires and a battery, seems to be working fine.

It started up with no issue this morning, but yesterday was much colder than today. Unless it gives me more problems I think I'll just suffer through the annoying hunt. I need to flush/refill my cooling system since winter is coming, maybe I'll check for air in the system. I read on here that it might cause a weird idle.

I wanna get this fixed before it start's getting -15F and the car won't start in the morning

Comment

What RPM does it run at right now during a cold-start? From the reading I have done, if it is hunting you probably have an air leak or air in the coolant circuit still.

I have replaced the FITV 'piston' O-ring and it was better but still hunts sometimes. If I tighten it down and lower the high idle RPM below where I want it, it will quit hunting as suggested as a temp fix. I will be going back in to do the remaining O-rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostwhite View Post
              What RPM does it run at right now during a cold-start? From the reading I have done, if it is hunting you probably have an air leak or air in the coolant circuit still.

I have replaced the FITV 'piston' O-ring and it was better but still hunts sometimes. If I tighten it down and lower the high idle RPM below where I want it, it will quit hunting as suggested as a temp fix. I will be going back in to do the remaining O-rings.
              Funnily, immediately after they key is turned it shoots up to 1800-2000, then drops down between 1k and 1.4k until it warms up and base idle in park seems to be 900-1k, and in drive it sits about 800-850. I've followed the procedure for setting base idle, probably need to do it again.

The FITV was in decent shape when I cleaned it, no signs of worn rubber or anything, it was actually spectacularly clean before I took it off. I've also gone over the entire vacuum system. (Intake mani needs cleaned soon! )

In a couple days I'm going to be flushing/refilling my coolant, levels right now are fine and I've already bled the air out of it.

I forgot to mention sometimes when the engine is warm and you go from D4/3 to P it hunts either once or twice before it settles down, it's not violent, jus annoying.
              Last edited by Nine-Dee 2.2; 10-08-2017, 02:05 PM.

Comment

With a properly operating FITV, you should never have to adjust it after setting it the first time. It automatically adjusts for initial temperature of the coolant (which after a long cooling off time will be the same as ambient). Winding it all the way down may stop the hunting, but it effectively disables the valve from what it is supposed to do. Install a new o-ring on the piston.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206012
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Nine-Dee 2.2 View Post
                  Funnily, immediately after they key is turned it shoots up to 1800-2000, then drops down between 1k and 1.4k until it warms up and base idle in park seems to be 900-1k, and in drive it sits about 800-850. I've followed the procedure for setting base idle, probably need to do it again.

The FITV was in decent shape when I cleaned it, no signs of worn rubber or anything, it was actually spectacularly clean before I took it off. I've also gone over the entire vacuum system. (Intake mani needs cleaned soon! )

In a couple days I'm going to be flushing/refilling my coolant, levels right now are fine and I've already bled the air out of it.

I forgot to mention sometimes when the engine is warm and you go from D4/3 to P it hunts either once or twice before it settles down, it's not violent, jus annoying.
                  Where the idle settles right away is based on the FITV depth and just like fleetwood said if you screw it all the way down you will lock out its operation. I have mine set between 1700-1800 based on the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostwhite View Post
                    Where the idle settles right away is based on the FITV depth and just like fleetwood said if you screw it all the way down you will lock out its operation. I have mine set between 1700-1800 based on the manual.
                    Interesting... this is new info. Well the good thing I can say is I actually marked the original setting before tightening it. I'll set it to default as best I can, might be a turn or so off but we will see.

Tomorrow morning I will test it all out if it's nice and cold.

I'm assuming I need to reset base idle afterwards, correct?
                    Last edited by Nine-Dee 2.2; 10-08-2017, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nine-Dee 2.2 View Post
                      Interesting... this is new info. Well the good thing I can say is I actually marked the original setting before tightening it. I'll set it to default as best I can, might be a turn or so off but we will see.

Tomorrow morning I will test it all out if it's nice and cold.

I'm assuming I need to reset base idle afterwards, correct?
                      With the FITV working correctly, you set the base idle with the engine fully warmed up; the FITV should be fully closed at that point.
                      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                        With the FITV working correctly, you set the base idle with the engine fully warmed up; the FITV should be fully closed at that point.
                        Makes perfect sense. When I change my coolant I'm going to be adjusting the FITV. It doesn't necessarily cause a problem in day to day driving, just starting it up when its cold. Good thing the lows here will be a little warmer for the next week.

Edit: The reason I adjusted the FITV in the first place is because the PO deleted the butterfly valve in the intake resonator and didn't fix the vacuum leak. There was a hose running from the mani but never connected to anything. I did not know this before adjusting it. It hunted not often before, but enough for me to want to fix it. Seemed to do the trick lmao. But I've fixed the leak now.
                        Last edited by Nine-Dee 2.2; 10-08-2017, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Today I adjusted my FITV before I flushed and refilled my cooling system. The coolant reservoir was empty. The radiator seemed 3/4 full. Before summer it was full, we had a really hot summer [105F] this year and the car was driven somewhat aggressively throughout the season. (Evaporating from pure engine heat?)

Any how the car seems to be running just fine. I do however need to do a tune-up before winter if I can. I need almost the whole 9 but the main issue is my distributor, I won't go into details.

Comment

Your coolant isn't evaporating. IF it was leaving just from engine heat, you would have noticed severe overheating quite frequently followed by coolant puking past the cap and out of the reservoir.

It would be a good idea to search for leaks in the system.

Comment

I know the headgasket was replaced about 15k ago... Not sure where else it would leak. I gave it a small once over and tightened the clamp for the hose on the thermo. I need to check the brass fitting and tube coming out of the bottom of the radiator (not sure what that is), there is visible residue on the frame benath but it doesn't look new by any means, like it happened once and it was never cleaned. The car never overheated this summer and the temperature gauge always read normal. The oil is clean as well so that points to an external leak. I'll give it a closer look if I can get a warm day.

Comment

Working...
                              X