Brake Overhaul Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Corweena View Post
    It can be noted that Fastbrakes does make a bracket that lets you space out the rear caliper and utilize a larger Honda Pilot rear rotor. BUT, it is not a plug and play kit. With that bracket, the caliper does not sit centered on the rotor, and it has to be shimmed or spaced out. I've been bugging the guys at FFC to take that design and make it a 100% bolt on kit as one of their next products.....but we'll see. But long story short, just run a good rear pad setup. Its plenty good like that.
    I have a difficult enough time as it is getting the rear brake lines to attach to the calipers where they currently are. I imagine spacing the rear calipers even further away from the hub would require longer lines.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Ok sweet! That's super helpful guys!

So is it just overall recommended that you immediately rebuild RL calipers (wherever you get them from)?

Also, where do I get RL calipers? eBay?

WerdWerx was way too expensive for me. I'm sure what he does is top notch, but $200?!
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

unless you somehow find them at a junkyard, $200 is a totally fair price for them. They sell for that or more on eBay. Or you could get them for $500 a piece brand new. You gotta remember, these aren't dime-a-dozen single piston calipers you can find 20 sets of in the junkyard. Its a 4-piston caliper. Any other 4-piston BBK is gonna cost at least double of what an RL setup does. You gotta think in perspective.

Also, Werdwerx sets are definitely on the cleaner side. I've seen a few sets for $150ish....but you could tell they came off high mileage east coast cars with the amount of corrosion and crap built up on them. When I got mine in 2013, I think I payed about $300 for them. And that was cheap back then too. Also, his refinished calipers are top notch too. He uses a great powdercoater, and most importantly they properly mask and coat the calipers so that when you reassemble them, everything fits perfectly....which many people do not do and wonder why they can't install their brake pads into the calipers (because they didn't remove some shims and coated over them). Quality work isn't cheap. And when it comes to brakes, you don't want to cheap out.

And yes at minimum rebuild them. Obviously refinishing is optional. But you should definitely replace ALL the seals in them. And you have to be careful about which rebuild kit you get....many don't include the 2 small seals that go between the 2 caliper pieces and seal the fluid passages....pretty much the most important ones. If those leak, you're screwed.

This is realistically what a RL upgrade should cost for the major parts:
        ROH or 5 lug front conversion: $150
        FFC brackets: $150
        Calipers: $200-250
        Rotors: $100 and up
        So all in all, you're looking at around $600-$700 or so in parts. Then throw in brake pads, and if you want the calipers refinished. Like I said before, not cheap. But its also not $1800+ for a Brembo setup (that would still be hub over rotor).
        Last edited by Corweena; 12-03-2017, 04:56 AM.

Comment

I got mine from the junkyard but it was def a planning process. I used the LKQ pick and pull yards.

Basically I kept a tab the incoming Acura CL's throughout the month. If it is over a week old then you probably will not get the calipers, those are the first to go on these cars at the yard because they can be sold for so much. I got on it on the second or third day. It also got lucky cuz the car I got them from had wheel locks so I Jerry rigged the lock nuts off.

200$ is a fair price as I have seen them for more. However junkyard is always cheaper. I got mine for 60$ from a car that had under 100k on it.

Instead of doing ROH conversion I went 5 lug with Odyssey spindles and 350z brembo rotors. It's about the same parts wise because the spindle prices are about the same at the junkyard.

********* carries a few different seal sets including the one with the small seals for the fluid. I wire wheeled mine down, that removed all the dirt and grime on the shims, put in all new seals and dust boots. It's really easy. I may take them off in the future for powder coating but I just wanted to get them in and drive the car lol.

Comment

Working...
          X