EXT: Bumper DRL's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Bumper DRL's

Since I completed this little simple project of mine I have had lots of people ask about it, so I figured I'd just make a DIY since so many were interested.

First of all, As always you work at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that may go wrong.

Estimated cost: $5-30 depending on what you may have already.
    Parts: 1157 Dual Filament sockets,
    SPDT Relay(5pin),
    Wire of your choice,
    Slide connectors(for relay),

The reason why I decided to do this was mainly because I realized I had all the parts necessary laying around minus the relay.

1: Get your 1157 sockets, I used the ones that are found on the rear CB outer taillights. These are not meant to be out side, but they should be fine. They also do not fit into the bumper lights with out a little modification. The socket will have three tabs, and only two will match up with the bumper light housing, so just cut off the third tab and it will fit in like a glove. Dual filament sockets from 92-95 Civic corner lights fit right in the bumper lights without mods and are weather sealed.
    2: Now if you look at the socket it has three wires coming out of it, Black Green/White and Orange(9293) or Red(9091). The Red or Orange is the running light filament, Green/white is the brake filament, and black of course is ground. For the Green/white you will just take power from the turn signal, the Red or Orange you will have to connect to a wire you run, but thats for later. Then the Black goes to the turn signal ground.
    3: The wire you connect to both lights Red or Orange you can do two things with, Depending if you want the relay to be outside or inside. I choose inside. So I ran that wire through the evaporator drain hole in the firewall (pass side). Then once inside ran under the carpet to the drivers footwell.
    4:This is where the relay comes in.

You will need to find two Plugs/Pins on the fusebox under the dash. There are 4 plugs (1,2,3,5) right above the top row of fuses. The first one you need to find #3. Use your slide connectors then connect that to Pin 86 on the relay. Then find #2, again use a slide connector then. wire it to pin 30 on the relay. Then take the wire you put through the firewall earlier and connect that to pin 87a. MAKE SURE you put it to 87a, other wise the DRL's will only come on when the running lights are on, and thats the complete opposite of what we are trying to accomplish here. Finally find a good ground to bare metal and connect that to pin 85.

5: I recommend that you put a inline fuse between the pin 3 connection and pin 30 on the relay with a low amp fuse(7.5a or less).

6:Test it out and put everything back together and Enjoy!

Last edited by C91BLX7; 12-23-2008, 02:23 AM.
    wat?

Where would one find a SPDT relay, Andrew?

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
      Where would one find a SPDT relay, Andrew?
      Online or napa had one at the store.

'ish just Drew...
      wat?

Comment

Sounds good.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
        Originally posted by Jarrett
        Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Yesssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
          1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
          2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
          2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
          2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
          2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

Comment

Nice work, Drew!

1999 BMW M3
            2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
            2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
            2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

great job bro love it everything works like it's oem factory wired to do that

Comment

Nice bro, but I have some insight

The duel filament sockets from 92-95 Civic corner lights fit right in the bumper lights without mods and are weather sealed.

I did this mod to my wagon, but I just run it off the always on light in the corner lights. I like it like that.
                1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                  Nice bro, but I have some insight

The duel filament sockets from 92-95 Civic corner lights fit right in the bumper lights without mods and are weather sealed.

I did this mod to my wagon, but I just run it off the always on light in the corner lights. I like it like that.
                  Ok thanks Ill add the civic part in.
                  wat?

Comment

nice diy, i might try this

Originally posted by Juice21
                    thnx pimpette, your car inspired me to go lower
                    Originally posted by GameChewer
                    Shiit i heard that, you heard the queen!

Comment

Well done, nice mod! I like that alot.

Comment

im confused. do i need to do all this if i just want my bumper lights to stay on and blink with my corner lights?

basicaly the first click, my corner lights come on.. i want that first click to bring the corners on and bumper lights and make my bumper lights blink with the corners.

do i need to buy a relay and all that or can i just tap into my 2 wires on the corner lights for power and ground.

Comment

I did this http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...mper+light+mod but used brake light socket from a 90' find the one with the green red and black wires like the civic socket clip those and wire it up like the first picture. You just have to cut off 2 tabs from the brake light socket to fit into the cb7 bumper light housing. And get some dual filament bulbs. unhook your battery or you can blow fuses. If it starts acting funny like you blew one its the blue 15 in the engine bay fuse box. And don't cut your thumb like I did

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
                          It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

thanks, and maybe you can help me answer another question about a similiar situation regarding a cd6 accord.. ill pm you.

Comment

I wired my bumper lights directly into my corner lights and now i have weird problems. My signal bulb doesnt flash when i arm my alar.
                              And they sonr function as their sposed to. Meaning they dont come on with the first click. But they do when i turn headlights on too.. second click.

Comment

Working...
                              X