ENG: Removing Alternator, PS pump, or just tightening belts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ENG: Removing Alternator, PS pump, or just tightening belts

Well this is a DIY I made its kinda quick but basically the alternator and power steering come off the same way and to adjust the belts is the same way too. Some people were wondering how to remove an alternator so I decided to DIY it. Hope this helps sorry for the sucky pictures. I am not responsible if you mess anything up. Do at your own risk!

NOTES: I have cruise control and Power steering removed so its easier for me. Taking off the Power steering pump is the same way as the alternator! and you do have to move that aside to reach the alternator (you do not need to take off the lines to the power steering unless you are changing the pump). Moving the cruise control (two 10mm bolts and a plug) to the side will also give you more leverage and clearance. I am also using f22a parts on my h22a so its basically the same.

Tools needed:
    1/2 drive or 1/4 drive ratchet(not pictured) - Your local parts store should carry these tools. Sears etc etc.
    10,12,14mm sockets (wrenches are optional too but not pictured)
    Flat head screwdriver or pry bar

REMOVING THE ALTERNATOR:

1. BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING OR MOVE ON REMOVE THE TERMINALS OF THE BATTERY TO PREVENT PERSONAL INJURY.

2. Start off by taking off the plugs on the alternator. One is a plug with a clip and the other is held on by a nut. You will need to pull back the boot to see these.

3. Start off by loosening the big 14mm bolt on top of the bracket but do not fully take it off.

4. Next you need to find the 12mm bolt hidden under the pulley. Its sometimes hard to find might need a light or something to see it. It looks something like this:

5. Get your 12mm and take the nut off.

6. Now find the 10mm bolt pictured here. You will loosen the one to the right side. Use a 1/4 drive ratchet since it is a tight area. Also a 10mm ratcheting wrench also works. You will know if you loosened the wrong one because it's a short screw. IF you take it out just screw it back in it's no bigge if you take it out.

7. After loosening that the Alternator should start moving downward giving the belt slack. Loosen it to the point where you can get the belt off.

8. Next take off the 14mm bolt completely! and the alternator should be free sitting in the bracket.

9. Use a pry bar or mini screwdriver and pry the alternator out a bit and it should come right out.

10. Then when taking off the alternator pull out and move it a bit to the right to get it off that stud where the 12mm bolt went.

11. Reinstalling is basically the same way.

Hope this DIY helped. Sorry I didnt take off my parts =P They were working good haha. But hope the pictures and directions somewhat give you an idea on how to do this.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Great write up, always nice to have plenty of pictures. I can see this being part of a much larger engine rebuild diy (more indepth than the current one)

Originally posted by Maple50175
    Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

This diy helps a lot manly the pictures but i am not complaining one bit.

"Real intelligence is like a river; the deeper it is, the less noise it makes.”

Click Me

Comment

Bleh I tried lol at least it gives people an idea. My engrish sucks.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

i give it a 2 thumbs up!
          Project M3 - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157903
          -(B-Pillar Bar Originator)-

Comment

NICE!..now i'll refer to this when im gonna change replace my alternator...plus, how much was THAT alternator bro?

*Needs*
            -New shocks
            -Struts
            -Drop
            -Cleaning
            -New Tires/Wheels
            -New Window Tint
            -Alot more lovin'

My Panda:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=Djmoua

Comment

Thanks for the DIY bro,

My alternator just died yesterday evening (03/13/07) that is two days after the Dallas meet. I was lucky it did not die on my way back from the Dallas meet.

Last edited by bowzil; 03-14-2007, 03:39 PM.

Comment

how the fuck were you able to put the ratchet in there to take of that 12mm nut. i couldn't do it on my ex.
                are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

Originally posted by alb_accord
                  how the fuck were you able to put the ratchet in there to take of that 12mm nut. i couldn't do it on my ex.
                  USe a short socket. All you need to do is break it loose then you can finger loose it.

The New-ish Ride
                  My old Ride
                  Hear my Vtak!!!
                  MK3 Member #3
                  IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

NICE DIY for all the newbies ima make a DIY with the IAB to VTEC . did that and it opens and all and give me more tq but i haven't dynoed it yet but I'll post it up
                    either kill it or drift it...

2002 Toyota Tundra V8

Comment

What a coincidence. I am in the middle of the H22 swap and found all of the bolts but didn't realize you had to use a screwdriver or prybar to budge the alternator. It is in there tight. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                        Well this is a DIY I made its kinda quick but basically the alternator and power steering come off the same way and to adjust the belts is the same way too. Some people were wondering how to remove an alternator so I decided to DIY it. Hope this helps sorry for the sucky pictures. I am not responsible if you mess anything up. Do at your own risk!
                        great thread, thanks.. now i need to find some help on removing the ac compressor!
                        .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

anyone know how or where the bolts are located. maybe someone has a picture of a hadsys compressor?

i have the power steering and alternator out and all i see is two bolts. does anyone know if i have to remove anymore from underneath the vehicle?
                          Last edited by Dom; 06-26-2007, 05:43 PM.
                          .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

nevermind i found my haynes manual.. thanks anyway!

My CD7

Comment

How do you re-tension the alternator belt after you replace the alternator?

Comment

Working...
                              X