X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do?

So i hydrolocked my GSR a few weeks ago, as described in this thread:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ht=hydrolocked

After a few weeks of playing the waiting game, insurance decided they were going to cover replacing the motor. Since the GSR is fairly rare in the US, they cant find a single used motor to put in it, so they are ordering a brandy spankin new one from Honda. The "catch" here is that, because its brand new, i have to pay a "betterment" on the bottom end of the motor since my car had 100k+ miles on it. That means about $1900 out of pocket cost.

Once they get all the numbers run and everything is a go, i get a check for the cost of half the block, the whole head, and all the labor. Im not exactly sure how much this is going to be, but im assuming at least $5000.

So my question to you guys is...would you:

A. pay the $1900 and get a brandy spankin new b18c1 (GSR motor)
    B. take the check and buy a B18c5 (type R) from hmotorsonline and not pay anything out of pocket...

Keep in mind that i drive this car at least 120 miles per day, so reliability is certainly an issue.
    Take the brand new slower motor (b18c1)
    17.65%
    Take the used faster motor (b18c5)
    82.35%

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

I'd take the B18c5 from hmotorsonline.com BUT you don't know what the future holds in that particular motor especially if it's used.

It's almost a 50/50 chance..to me anyway.

But IMO it's entirely up to you man.
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

get the c5 and put that money towards a turbo kit!
      -Mark-
      CB7
      CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
      Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

It was my understanding that the c5 isn't really that much faster than a c1.

It would be nice to have a brand spanking new motor, but I guess it depends on how many miles the c5 will have on it.

Good luck!
        "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid
          you don't know what the future holds in that particular motor especially if it's used.
          Right, thats exactly whats making this such a hard decision. i mean iv never really owned a car with less than 180k miles on it, so miles arnt a huge factor to me. but not knowing anything about the motor makes me a little iffy

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
            Right, thats exactly whats making this such a hard decision. i mean iv never really owned a car with less than 180k miles on it, so miles arnt a huge factor to me. but not knowing anything about the motor makes me a little iffy

Yeah I hear ya.

So far I've taken 2 chances, with two different vehicles.

I took a chance on my truck and had a 51k motor installed , I made the mistake of not seeing what the donor car looked like let alone miles.

So far after two months, it hasn't given me any troubles what so ever, just a non-functioning radio (no sound but the HU works fine).

Another time was my old car, took a chance on a 400 dollar motor I picked up in Wrentham, installed it myself at THS (took me a month) and the car ran fine for 4 years straight, I still kick myself though for not finding a buyer here on the boards.

But you have a chance with a brand spanking new motor, fresh start with every part guaranteed from the factory. Can't get any better than that man.

:edit:

If you do get the new motor put in, whats the warranty consist of?
            Henry R
            Koni/Neuspeed
            1992 Accord LX R.I.P
            Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,

Comment

found a good place for info on these engines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine

i would get a c1 since it's brand new!!!!!

Comment

I have never had a problem with hmotors....neither any of my friends. Picking up a engine from hmotors I can almost garuntee the motor will be in excellent condition, if it is less then anything excellent hmotors always stands by their products and full refund or replacement would be sent to you. I would go with a type-r in my opnion.
                my ride

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid
                  If you do get the new motor put in, whats the warranty consist of?
                  Id have to ask. I doubt it will be a great warranty. I mean nothing like a warranty they give on brand new cars

Comment

not having 1900 in my pocket, id take the c5, no questions asked. i personally couldnt see throwing out 1900 for an "upgrade" in mileage, but no upgrade otherwise, besides a lack of internal wear...

if you pick up a clean c5 from hmotors, itll be pretty low miles, faster, free, and a better base to start from. and if sensors happen to be bad, they replace them, and if the motor ends up being bad, they have their replacement warranty which im sure youll have NO problem taking advantage of because youll have the receipts and proof that a legit honda dealer did the install... hmotors is reputable for providing good clean motors, and taking care of customers who get anything different.

in a year or 2, whats the difference between 10k and 50k miles anyway? the car body is older than that either way you go. a clean looking engine bay isnt worth $1900. and if something were to possibly happen to the used c5, youll have 1900 still in your pocket to fix it, and theres not many things that can go wrong thatll cost you more than 1900 to fix.
                    Last edited by cp[mike]; 06-26-2006, 01:34 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                    Current cars:
                    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

A valid point..thanks mike.

Just a note:
                      Depending on how much they cut me a check for, i may end up installing it myself.

Comment

I agree with mike, my engine from Hmotors is excellent, no problems.

Get a B18c5.
                        members/ride | the/website
                        180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

I agree with Mike too.

An extra 20HP is an extra 20HP.

Honda doesn't do unreliable motors, even in the Type R's so I don't think you have to worry about that.

If it is JDM, it will be low mileage, and even if you whip the living shit out of a Honda, it is practically impossible to kill them in the number of miles it will have.

Most show hardly any wear at all.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Yeah JDM would kick arsh, but in Massachusetts you have to contend with emissions testing and let me tell you their strict.

If the CEL is on you fail. No questions asked.
                            Henry R
                            Koni/Neuspeed
                            1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                            Legend FSM

Comment

a bit off topic, but i just wanted to say...

Thanks Karma

Comment

Working...
                              X