CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Suspension > Wheel & Tires

Old 09-19-2007, 09:35 AM   #1
HondaFan81
Honda Enthusiast

HondaFan81 seems to have made some friends! HondaFan81 seems to have made some friends!
Falken ZE912 vs BF Goodrich Traction T/A 195/60 R15

I need to get new ALL-SEASON tires before this winter for my red 91 DX Accord 5spd. I currently have BF Goodrich Traction T/A 195/60 R15 that lasted 50,XXX miles and had 60,000 mile warranty. BFG is a good tire overall, however I don't like how they cracked inbetween the treads like halfway through the life of the tire, this is not normal compared with other tires and I feel the life of the tire is not what it should be with this issue. This issue happened on like 4 different sets of tires my family owns on these Accords, makes me wonder if they had a rubber quality issue/defect. Anyhow, that is why I am up for trying a new tire.

I get my tires at Sears and the following are all for 195/60 R15 setups as I'm on stock alloy rims. I am currently debating between Falken ZE912 (65K mile warranty) and Michelin Agility/Touring (80K mile warranty).

Please reply if you have had personal experience with either tire and give me your thoughts in all conditions (i.e. wet, dry, cornering, snow, wear). Thanks.
HondaFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
HondaFan81
Honda Enthusiast

HondaFan81 seems to have made some friends! HondaFan81 seems to have made some friends!
I may even consider the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, cpMike I know has them and has had good experience and they get excellent reviews. The question is, price and treadwear.

I'm basically looking for a good all-season tire in all conditions that has atleast 60,000 mile treadlife warranty and $90 max per tire.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
The G-Man
Contributing Member

The G-Man seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to The G-Man
The Falkens should be pretty good. I do not have firsthand experience with the ZE912, but I do with it's older brother the ZE512. Great in rain, pretty good treadwear as well. I have no snow experience in NC, so I can't give thoughts on that.

I am a fan of Michelin all season tires though. When my parents bought their Accord EX in 1990 the OEM Michelin tires lasted something like 80k-90k. And when they got a '97 Odyssey in 1997 the OEM Michelin tires lasted like 75k. My dad bought Michelin LTX M/S for his truck last year. Those are excellent in the rain, and I think he has like 30k on them now and they show little wear.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:47 AM   #4
HondaFan81
Honda Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G-Man
The Falkens should be pretty good. I do not have firsthand experience with the ZE912, but I do with it's older brother the ZE512. Great in rain, pretty good treadwear as well. I have no snow experience in NC, so I can't give thoughts on that.

I am a fan of Michelin all season tires though. When my parents bought their Accord EX in 1990 the OEM Michelin tires lasted something like 80k-90k. And when they got a '97 Odyssey in 1997 the OEM Michelin tires lasted like 75k. My dad bought Michelin LTX M/S for his truck last year. Those are excellent in the rain, and I think he has like 30k on them now and they show little wear.
Yea, Michelins are great quality and although more expensive, do last longer than most other brands. I think it is a good tradeoff, I may pay more and go with Michelins that atleast 60,000 mile treadlife warranty to make it worthwhile.

After reviewing online, it seems the ZE912 is replacing the ZE512 like you said G-man and is a good bang for the buck tire, but the Michelin Pilot Exalto have better ratings in just about every category, I have to see what Sears has their treadlife warranty at. Otherwise, I'll go Michelin Agility/Touring.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
Fatman88
Contributing Member

Fatman88 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to Fatman88
I went through the same exact thing when i went to get new tires. I am a big fan of falkens now that i put them on my rotas. I have the 512's on my jetta and i always loved them. I recently got some slipstreams and wrapped them with 912's. Rain or shine they seem to be great either way. No complaints here and they even look good. I hope this helps you decide. Btw i got them in 205 50 16.

Last edited by Fatman88; 09-19-2007 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Tire Size was wrong
Fatman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:04 PM   #6
T3aM 83rD
CB7tuner Member

T3aM 83rD is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to T3aM 83rD
You could probably read up the reviews on tirerack.com to see what others think about them
Old 09-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Blk EX Coupe
Contributing Member

Blk EX Coupe is cool... so far.
I've had the falken ziex512 and the 912. The 912 has better grip then the 512. Tread wear I can't comment on yet because the tires only have about 3k on them and they have only been driven on in dry weather.

The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S is probably my new favorite all season tire. I bought a set less then a month ago, and the improvement it made on the car's handling is amazing. THe exalto carries a much higher cost though, but the same goes for most Michelin's. The tire has been well worth the money so far, but it's too early to judge if I would buy it again. The tire is rated for 45k, so I still have about 44k to go before I know if I would buy it again.

Some tires I regret buying are the Yokohama YK520 (High Performance All-Season) and the Kumho Solus HP4 716 (Grand Touring All-Season).
Old 09-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
The G-Man
Contributing Member

The G-Man seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to The G-Man
I have driven on the Pilot Exhalto A/S too. My grandmother has them on her '05 Corolla. Great tires, expensive, but great.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
HondaFan81
Honda Enthusiast

Since I already know Michelins are good tires and it seems the Falkens have good reviews, I am going to try Falkens. I'm also going to get an alignment done at the same time to ensure full life on the tires.

I know I need to get a front camber kit on my red accord as I had -1.6 degree camber last alignment on both sides up front. Rear camber was fine. This is because I installed H&R sport springs on my Tokico HP shocks. So I'll make sure to get the camber kit installed before tires.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:50 AM   #10
Chrisisiced
Contributing Member

Chrisisiced is cool... so far.
I say go for the falkens Ive had 3 sets of the falken 512s and i loved them they were a great all around tire. Even pretty decent in the snow. I havent tried the 912s yet though but i will next time im due for new tires!
Chrisisiced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 11:16 AM   #11
HondaFan81
Honda Enthusiast

I'm going Falken ZE912's, thanks for your suggestions. Besides, I have never had experience with Falkens and hear good things, it is about time.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:18 AM   #12
MenaceAccord92
CB7tuner Member

MenaceAccord92 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to MenaceAccord92
Sounds good.
MenaceAccord92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 11:50 PM   #13
AccordWarrior
Guy Smiley

AccordWarrior seems to have made some friends!
It's interesting that you're seeing cracking issues with your BFG's Cisco. I had BFG Touring TA's on my 92-93 Sedan alloys and the sidewalls cracked at less than 20K miles. Two of them were bad enough that I removed the tires from the car and put back on my original steel wheels and had them replaced.

I can't recommend BFG after my experiences with them. Even my newer BFG's had issues like the first set.
AccordWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
wed3k
Contributing Member

wed3k seems to have made some friends! wed3k seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to wed3k
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordWarrior
It's interesting that you're seeing cracking issues with your BFG's Cisco. I had BFG Touring TA's on my 92-93 Sedan alloys and the sidewalls cracked at less than 20K miles. Two of them were bad enough that I removed the tires from the car and put back on my original steel wheels and had them replaced.

I can't recommend BFG after my experiences with them. Even my newer BFG's had issues like the first set.
sounds like a personal problem, i havent had any issues with the set of BFG gforce sports.

i run the tires hard too, the positive side of the tire wore faster than the negative

Honda Parts liquidation

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.
wed3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:12 PM   #15
Camurai
Photography Forum Moderator

Camurai is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Camurai
I'm going with a dedicated winter tire for my stock EX wheels, most likely a Dayton Winterforce 195/60R15. I've got a set of 17x7 Konig Rated R wheels that are crying out for a set of Falken Ziex ZE912s for the other 3 seasons.

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
'93 EX 5-speed coupe
Short ram intake
Tenrai Himoto catback
Smashed front end
Random bits of deer blood & hair
Camurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:06 PM   #16
F22HB
CB7tuner Member

F22HB is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to F22HB
I have Falken ziex ze 512's on my civic and they grip great when ur car is aligned. Rain traction is amazing too. Idk about the 912's but they're the replacement so I supose they may have better cut grooves.
Also I've taken them up to 140 and they have no speed cracks in them or any crack in the rubber atall which surprised me.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #17
oanju123
CB7tuner Member

oanju123 is cool... so far.
have about 1100mi on my falken 912s and i have to say a very very good tire overall....

quiet and a nice ride.... has done well in the frozen rain i've come across so far this winter...

discounttiredirect.com had them $50/ea with free shipping plus a $50 instant rebate (they have deals like this very often...) so basically you get 4 tires for the price of 3...
Old 12-30-2007, 05:21 PM   #18
HondaFan81
Honda Enthusiast

Review on Falken Ziex 912 195/60 R15:

I had BF Goodrich Traction T/A 195/60 R15 tires on my 1991 Accord DX 5spd previously. I will compare them to this.

BF Goodrich Traction T/A:

Dry - Good, taken them up to 125 mph no issues.
Rain/Wet - Good, no issues up to speeds of 80-90 mph. Just as good as the Falkens.
Snow - Good, felt confident in them.
Handling/Cornering - Good for all-seasons, felt fairly confident in taking corners.
Durability - Rated for 60,000 miles, halfway they develop cracks in treads, but did not leak. Lasted 50,000 miles, however the last few thousand miles I had camber issues because of a lower drop.

Falken Ziex 912:

Dry - Good, taken them up to 130 mph no issues.
Rain/Wet - Good, BFG just as good.
Snow - Decent, BFG are better.
Handling/Cornering - Sidewalls are softer. BFG Traction T/A are better.
Durability - Great so far, no awkward wear/cracks on tires. Better than BFG so far.

Overall Opinion:

I think the Falken ZE912 are a good bang for the buck all-season tire with better durability than the BF Goodrich Traction T/A in that they will last 60,000 miles like their warranty states. The BFG are rated for the same mileage, but did not last that long for me and developed cracks in the treads half-way through their tire warranty. Anyhow, the BFG Traction T/A tires had better dry traction & cornering performance than the Falken ZE912.

Last edited by HondaFan81; 12-30-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #19
InvaderTrax
CB7tuner Member

InvaderTrax is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to InvaderTrax
I'm really happy with my new Yokohama AVID H4s'. I have also used the BFG Traction TA and it was good, and the Falken 512's had ok traction, but simply do not last. I'm also a fan of the Kumho ASX
...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.
InvaderTrax is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: