CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 02-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
punkrockimport
CB7tuner Member

punkrockimport is cool... so far.
Can a bad starter drain your battery?

Ive had this problem going on with my battery getting drained down. I had my car tested and it was the alternator according to autozone. I replaced the alternator, and the battery also. But im still having this problem..

When the battery is at full charge it will start up fine, and i can drive it for awhile, but then the lights get dimmer, wipers get slower, radio shuts off, speedo and tach start jumping and eventually stay at zero, and eventually the car starts sputtering and it is dead as a doornail..

Im at a complete loss here, so ive asked all the help i can find, and someone told me that a starter can have a problem where it drains power while the car is running, and not just to start it..

can someone please help me, and/or kill me? thanks..

but its clean!..kinda
punkrockimport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
punkrockimport
CB7tuner Member

punkrockimport is cool... so far.
also, i had the new alternator tested on the machine before i bought it, and it was good. the belt has good tension also.

i can jump start the car, and let it sit there and run, but it dies in a few minutes

but its clean!..kinda
punkrockimport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #3
yellow_accord
Newcomer

yellow_accord is cool... so far.
I'm having the same problem, I forgot which thread i read in but the starter had something to do with it....so check that out...wish i could help you out more but too cold to fix mine..
yellow_accord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
bcjammerx
CB7tuner Member

bcjammerx seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to bcjammerx Send a message via Yahoo to bcjammerx
it will pull more amps while cranking because the windings aren't as effecient.

Add to that, it will take longer to crank as well...so another increase in pull.

So yes...it will. But only at startup.

This prolly won't REALLY drain your battery or cause a "battery" problem because once the engine starts the alternator charges the battery.

It IS a problem during cold starts because you need all the juice you can (like freezing temps) so that extra pull could sap your batter before the engine fires up.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
Camurai
Photography Forum Moderator

Camurai is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Camurai
There are a lot of items that can cause a drain on the battery, but it sounds more to me like you've got an open circuit. The only way a starter would drain the battery while the car is running is if the starter was stuck on and kept spinning constantly. It sound like for whatever reason, your alternator isn't charging your battery. Check all your connections, and check everything you can get to with a continuity tester.

Project Deerslayer

UPDATE: DEER - 2, CB7 - 0
'93 EX 5-speed coupe
Short ram intake
Tenrai Himoto catback
Smashed front end
Random bits of deer blood & hair
Camurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 PM   #6
C91BLX7
CB7tuner Member

C91BLX7 is very helpful C91BLX7 is very helpful C91BLX7 is very helpful
My starter was shity when I got my car. In the end the started died. And the battery was was ruined from being strained so much. The battery would charge up but not hold the charge for very long.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
Chans
CB7tuner Member

Chans is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrockimport
When the battery is at full charge it will start up fine, and i can drive it for awhile, but then the lights get dimmer, wipers get slower, radio shuts off, speedo and tach start jumping..
I had the same problem with the same symptoms twice. Both times it was my alternator
Old 02-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #8
C91BLX7
CB7tuner Member

C91BLX7 is very helpful C91BLX7 is very helpful C91BLX7 is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chans
I had the same problem with the same symptoms twice. Both times it was my alternator
Yeah the alternator will power everything with the car on. The battery is just for starting the car.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
203banshee
CB7tuner Member

203banshee is cool... so far.
the starter cant really drain battery unless its stuck on the start position but then u probably wudnt be able to start the car again with tht starter unless u hit it...
the best way to test ur battery is to start the car leave it on for a while an then unplug ur battery, the car shud run fine because ur alternator makes ur power while the car is on , the battery jus starts ur car pretty much. if the alternator is ok an ur battery holds power than u have an open circuit somewhere , or something robbin power somewhere...
203banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 AM   #10
NAiL05
CB7Tuner Member

Location: Dallas, Waco, And now SIUC for school I'm going worldwide bitches!!!
NAiL05 seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrockimport
Ive had this problem going on with my battery getting drained down. I had my car tested and it was the alternator according to autozone. I replaced the alternator, and the battery also. But im still having this problem..

When the battery is at full charge it will start up fine, and i can drive it for awhile, but then the lights get dimmer, wipers get slower, radio shuts off, speedo and tach start jumping and eventually stay at zero, and eventually the car starts sputtering and it is dead as a doornail..

Im at a complete loss here, so ive asked all the help i can find, and someone told me that a starter can have a problem where it drains power while the car is running, and not just to start it..

can someone please help me, and/or kill me? thanks..
Bring the alternator back to the place and get another one. Make sure its good. Sometimes a good part is a bad part. The starter draws a lot of current but doesnt drain. Even if your key is in the "start" position it wouldnt stay there since it will just spring back to on. The alternator would have to be cranking for a good while before your battery finally drains. Sounds like its either your battery isnt holding charge (kinda hard if its new) or the regulator is being a bitch on the alternator. Another thing to check sometimes alternator cables the output wire doesnt get clipped on tight and loosens. Make sure its on there plugged in all the way. I had that issue for my car because the alternator I got had a diff clip but I used a zip tie and now it works just fine.

The New-ish Ride
My old Ride
Hear my Vtak!!!
MK3 Member #3
I piss off people for fun.
IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1
NAiL05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:38 AM   #11
F22-GURU
CB7tuner Member

Location: I come from a land down under, Where women glow and men plunder, can't ya hear, can't ya hear the thunder? You better run, you better take cover.
F22-GURU is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C91BLX7
Yeah the alternator will power everything with the car on. The battery is just for starting the car.
If the battery is JUST FOR STARTING the car then where does the alternator source it's power from, and where does it return the power to???
Please explain in detail for us less informed folk.
F22-GURU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #12
203banshee
CB7tuner Member

203banshee is cool... so far.

the alternator makes power/energy from the belt tht runs on its pulley and it doesnt return power anywhere, the cars electrical demand uses the power it makes (your headlights, stereo, interior lights, for example)
203banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #13
NAiL05
CB7Tuner Member

Coils, magnetic force, More magnetic force more voltage. Easy.

The New-ish Ride
My old Ride
Hear my Vtak!!!
MK3 Member #3
IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1
Old 02-29-2008, 09:50 PM   #14
bcjammerx
CB7tuner Member

bcjammerx seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to bcjammerx Send a message via Yahoo to bcjammerx
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22-GURU
If the battery is JUST FOR STARTING the car then where does the alternator source it's power from, and where does it return the power to???
Please explain in detail for us less informed folk.

the battery and alternator work in unison...you can run the car without the battery.

The alternator produces about 14v (battery produces 12) and feeds power to the battery.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #15
NAiL05
CB7Tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjammerx
the battery and alternator work in unison...you can run the car without the battery.

The alternator produces about 14v (battery produces 12) and feeds power to the battery.
Battery does not produce or generate anything its just a storage.

The New-ish Ride
My old Ride
Hear my Vtak!!!
MK3 Member #3
IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: