CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Swaps

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #21
Old Dog 61
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mid-west
Posts: 161
Old Dog 61 is cool... so far.
Thank you, It's a driver not a race car so I wanted it to look right and as soon as I can I will put new studs in the factory exhaust manifold.I intend to put it and the factory down pipe on and install the heat shield when I get the exhaust done and can afford a good exhaust system.

#1- just a little tweaking just don't get in a hurry, you do not want to kink it. The hardest was just getting it around the cross-member to bolt it to the rack. Since the motor was out I was able to rotate the line and work it in to place so I could bolt it in place, a little tweaking was required there as well.

#2-No I never considered swapping pulley on the alternator I would just have swapped the Accord alternator on to get it to run if there was a problem there still might be I just do not know. I don't believe there will be a problem but I don't have any road time on the vehicle at this time but I hope to real soon. As for the power steering, both of the power steering pumps the F22 and the H22 have a 4 groove pulley on them so the only issue was getting the correct belt length.

No I have not driven it yet BUT It Is running I burped the air out AND my fans came on like they should got that fixed. It runs, it revs up well, and the temp looks good. All is almost well I noticed it was steaming from out of my fans. I nicked the radiator when I installed the fans and now IT'S LEAKING Just got to fix that and put the wheels on and reattach the column to the rack, I also put a new rack in while doing this swap, It's coming together now.
Old Dog 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #22
s2cmpugh
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 379
s2cmpugh is cool... so far.
Do you mind explaining what you currently did to get the exhaust system bolted and sealed up and what you PLAN to do?

Doesn't sound too hard on the PS line then, just work with it a bit and don't kink.

How did you measure your belts and what size or part number did you end up using?

Sounds like she's good to go! Any more smoke coming out the back or did all the oil put in by HMO burn off?

When I do my swap, I plan on making it look just like it was meant to sit in there.
s2cmpugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #23
Old Dog 61
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mid-west
Posts: 161
Old Dog 61 is cool... so far.
I got the down pipe from HMO but it is too short so I next followed the FAQ swap section and got a EBAY header
Quote:
Exhaust:
For the H22A the USDM 93-96 Vtec manifold will bolt right up to the CB7 Exhaust. However the JDM H22A down pipe seems to have larger flange that will not bolt up to the CB7 cat. You can either cut and weld a new flange or the easiest route would be just purchase an aftermarket header for the 93-96 Vtec Prelude. Redrilling three new holes in the larger JDM downpipe flange will also make it so it fits.
It was still about 1 inch short so I pulled the rubber exhaust hangers on the exhaust pipe from the cat to the back of the car towards the front of the car. I also pulled the pipe forward because everything was just about centered on the hangers, I found the inch I needed to close the gap I then had to re-drill the three holes that bolted up to the cat larger. I had installed the header already. I bolted the cat up to the down pipe, tried to attach the down pipe to the header and It almost went on, I pulled a little and it went right on. When I bolted it together I used anti-seize. I want to take it off later to replace this set up or maybe to change the manifold gasket, anti-seize will make the job simple.
Exhaust in the future will be the factory exhaust manifold and down pipe with a 2 1/4 cat, 2 1/4 mandrel tubing, and 2 1/4 resonator(s) and muffler. I want it to be quiet.

For the belts I fit my Accord belts on and took note on how short they were, then I read the numbers and got what I needed. I use Gates belts
K050435 is stock on F22 for A/C alternator.
K040420 is stock on F22 for power steering.
The "K" I think stands for the micro-groove line of belts, but I do know the second digit is how many grooves are on the belt (4,5, or 6) The last three are the length of the belt.
The Accord A/C Alt belt was only about 1/2 inch too short. The PS belt was over an inch too long , the belts I found and installed are listed below
K050440 for A/C and alternator. this belt is 44 inches.
K040405 for power steering. This belt is 40 1/2 inches.
This is on my H22 using the Accord crank pulley, the Accord A/C compressor and pulley BUT using the Prelude alternator so far so good.

Yeah It's still smoking some but NOTHING the way it was on start-up It's burning off just like he said. I need to purge the air out of the cooling system and put the hood on AND GO FOR A DRIVE and put some miles on.
Old Dog 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:36 PM   #24
Old Dog 61
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mid-west
Posts: 161
Old Dog 61 is cool... so far.
Well I got it finished up and out on the road but have three problems, you can tell driving, it needs a front end alignment nothing major but It's drivable.

I have a noise under hard acceleration that sounds like It's coming from the transmission on the passenger side. I got under and looked the axle is not flush with the transmission seal It's at least 1/8 from being against the seal. Sort of a grinding sound.

The last is a high pitched whining whistle under acceleration, the harder you accelerate the louder it gets. I put a 16 miles on it

I'm first going to fix the axle problem and get an alignment, It doesn't whine at an idle.....I don't know calling it a day, Be Well.

Everything in small steps.
Old Dog 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #25
s2cmpugh
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 379
s2cmpugh is cool... so far.
Sounds like you've got most of the bugs worked out! The axle should be an easy fix, just bang it in a bit more assuming the c-clip isn't bent.

That high pitched whining/whistle could be a small gap or hole in the exhaust somewhere or maybe another air leak of some kind.

Any CEL's? Did you run it thru VTEC?
s2cmpugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 AM   #26
Old Dog 61
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mid-west
Posts: 161
Old Dog 61 is cool... so far.
Yeah I'm almost there, I tried banging the axle in but it wouldn't go. I'm going to call the local dealer this morning about getting a new set ring that's what Majestic honda calls it. I would bet It's bent and that is an easy fix because it did not make the noise when I drove it before. The front end alignment is a given after replacing the rack. So really the whining/whistle is the real problem.
No I didn't push it into VTEC just wanted to break it in kinda easy, to get things worked out before pushing it harder. I haven't checked to see if any codes were showing yet but, I pulled the plug out so I can jump it to pull the codes I might need to drive it a little longer.
Old Dog 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #27
s2cmpugh
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 379
s2cmpugh is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog 61 View Post
Yeah I'm almost there, I tried banging the axle in but it wouldn't go. I'm going to call the local dealer this morning about getting a new set ring that's what Majestic honda calls it. I would bet It's bent and that is an easy fix because it did not make the noise when I drove it before. The front end alignment is a given after replacing the rack. So really the whining/whistle is the real problem.
No I didn't push it into VTEC just wanted to break it in kinda easy, to get things worked out before pushing it harder. I haven't checked to see if any codes were showing yet but, I pulled the plug out so I can jump it to pull the codes I might need to drive it a little longer.
How's she running? Any luck on finding that whistling noise?
s2cmpugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #28
blackgoose
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 170
blackgoose is cool... so far.
Just finished my swap yesterday! Put 90 miles on her already! I'm having the same whistling sound though?? Can't figure it.
blackgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #29
Old Dog 61
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mid-west
Posts: 161
Old Dog 61 is cool... so far.
It's still running good and still has the whistling sound, haven't had much time because of family responsibility's work and home. I am hoping tomorrow.

I removed the passenger axle and installed a new set ring, the axle locks in but is still out from the seal but it is locking in. Now you would think a dealer would stock this little part. It is as common as a cotter pin but, It was a special order part go figure.
Old Dog 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #30
s2cmpugh
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 379
s2cmpugh is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog 61 View Post
It's still running good and still has the whistling sound, haven't had much time because of family responsibility's work and home. I am hoping tomorrow.

I removed the passenger axle and installed a new set ring, the axle locks in but is still out from the seal but it is locking in. Now you would think a dealer would stock this little part. It is as common as a cotter pin but, It was a special order part go figure.
I wonder why the axle is sticking out like that? I agree the dealer should keep those set rings in stock. What happens if a technician bends one on a new axle? Do they junk the entire axle and use a new one? I doubt it.

Anyway, could you make a youtube video so we could hear the sound?
s2cmpugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #31
Old Dog 61
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mid-west
Posts: 161
Old Dog 61 is cool... so far.
I took it out 4 or 5 times and reseated it, and you could hear it click. I then could not pull it out, I needed a wedge to tap in place between the edge of the axle and the transmission housing to remove the axle. I did install new axle output seals in the transmission before re-installing, I made sure they were fully seated in the transmission. Maybe It's further in than the one I replaced.
As for video I don't have the capability I'm only in the 20th. century and just barely at that.
Old Dog 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #32
s2cmpugh
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 379
s2cmpugh is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog 61 View Post
I took it out 4 or 5 times and reseated it, and you could hear it click. I then could not pull it out, I needed a wedge to tap in place between the edge of the axle and the transmission housing to remove the axle. I did install new axle output seals in the transmission before re-installing, I made sure they were fully seated in the transmission. Maybe It's further in than the one I replaced.
As for video I don't have the capability I'm only in the 20th. century and just barely at that.
As long as it's clicked into place and not loose then it should be ok.

Haha, well let us know what you find out about the whistling noise and how she's running. I'm 30, and I consider myself barely in the 20th century too.
s2cmpugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #33
Old Dog 61
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mid-west
Posts: 161
Old Dog 61 is cool... so far.
I finished up the last of it today had a front end alignment done now I can put some miles on. I also had the A/C recharged, it was converted to 134A almost 2 Yrs. ago. It was putting out 43.2 degree air at the shop, temp outside today was 83 degrees and humidity at 38 % for a converted system that's damn good I'll take it. I also took It to the car wash and gave it a bath to get all the hand prints and gunk washed off. I'll detail it Saturday and Sunday I'll wash and detail the wife's 07 Accord.
It's running really well, It is still making that grinding noise from the passenger side but not as much but still there. I'll keep on it till I do find it...I don't give up.
It still has the whistling sound, a friend of mine drove up next to me on the highway at 65 and then I got on it. We pulled off and talked he said he heard the whistling sound and his 99Si Civic with an H22 also had the same sound, not as loud but he's had it for about 2 yrs.
I'll find out what this is yet......UNTIL then I'm driving
Old Dog 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #34
93redcb7
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: graham
Posts: 479
93redcb7 seems to have made some friends! 93redcb7 seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog 61 View Post
I finished up the last of it today had a front end alignment done now I can put some miles on. I also had the A/C recharged, it was converted to 134A almost 2 Yrs. ago. It was putting out 43.2 degree air at the shop, temp outside today was 83 degrees and humidity at 38 % for a converted system that's damn good I'll take it. I also took It to the car wash and gave it a bath to get all the hand prints and gunk washed off. I'll detail it Saturday and Sunday I'll wash and detail the wife's 07 Accord.
It's running really well, It is still making that grinding noise from the passenger side but not as much but still there. I'll keep on it till I do find it...I don't give up.
It still has the whistling sound, a friend of mine drove up next to me on the highway at 65 and then I got on it. We pulled off and talked he said he heard the whistling sound and his 99Si Civic with an H22 also had the same sound, not as loud but he's had it for about 2 yrs.
I'll find out what this is yet......UNTIL then I'm driving
my h22 has a whistle when i press on the gas at a certain point... only 1 spot, wont do it at idle or WOT, kinda weird
93redcb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #35
s2cmpugh
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 379
s2cmpugh is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog 61 View Post
I finished up the last of it today had a front end alignment done now I can put some miles on. I also had the A/C recharged, it was converted to 134A almost 2 Yrs. ago. It was putting out 43.2 degree air at the shop, temp outside today was 83 degrees and humidity at 38 % for a converted system that's damn good I'll take it. I also took It to the car wash and gave it a bath to get all the hand prints and gunk washed off. I'll detail it Saturday and Sunday I'll wash and detail the wife's 07 Accord.
It's running really well, It is still making that grinding noise from the passenger side but not as much but still there. I'll keep on it till I do find it...I don't give up.
It still has the whistling sound, a friend of mine drove up next to me on the highway at 65 and then I got on it. We pulled off and talked he said he heard the whistling sound and his 99Si Civic with an H22 also had the same sound, not as loud but he's had it for about 2 yrs.
I'll find out what this is yet......UNTIL then I'm driving
That's damn good for a converted system!

How's she running so far and updates on the whistling noise?
s2cmpugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:32 AM   #36
Old Dog 61
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mid-west
Posts: 161
Old Dog 61 is cool... so far.
Running really good, still has the whistling\whine noise. I thought it might have been a faulty dash-pot\check valve I went to the salvage picked up a couple. I replaced the one on the IAB vacuum supply and the IAB vacuum black box. That didn't help, I found that my air cleaner hose going from the air cleaner to the TB was not tight. Thought maybe air could be sucked in and be making noise, I tightened it up and....that's not it either. So I'm still looking for it and I'll find it yet there is a reason just gotta find it. Still running great breaking it in, this is a worth while swap. This kind of little stuff drives me crazy until I find it
Old Dog 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #37
boostedlude3g
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix AZ
Posts: 44
boostedlude3g is cool... so far.
Great info. Getting ready to do mine in a few months. Starting to gather parts now.
__________________
-Wayne-



310whp - 296tq
boostedlude3g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #38
s2cmpugh
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 379
s2cmpugh is cool... so far.
So what's the update? Did you ever find the whistling noise?
s2cmpugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:23 PM   #39
Old Dog 61
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mid-west
Posts: 161
Old Dog 61 is cool... so far.
No never found it, I'm thinking maybe the timing belt??? too tight??? It runs super It's not as loud as it was but still there.I took the valve cover off to see if the belt might be coming apart....It wasn't it was fine. I haven't given up I'm just working on finding my other issue when the swap was completed, that's a rubbing\grinding sound up front. It happens when I take off and turning. It drives fine does not pull one way or another and stops straight. So I just been driving it and having fun I am glad I did the H22 swap
Old Dog 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 AM   #40
s2cmpugh
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 379
s2cmpugh is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog 61 View Post
No never found it, I'm thinking maybe the timing belt??? too tight??? It runs super It's not as loud as it was but still there.I took the valve cover off to see if the belt might be coming apart....It wasn't it was fine. I haven't given up I'm just working on finding my other issue when the swap was completed, that's a rubbing\grinding sound up front. It happens when I take off and turning. It drives fine does not pull one way or another and stops straight. So I just been driving it and having fun I am glad I did the H22 swap
Good to hear you're enjoying it! Is the sound more of a light pitched hum or similar to a whistle being blown?

Does the rubbing/grinding happen when you turn left and right or just a certain direction?
s2cmpugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.