CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Appearance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
crazymikey
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 4,277
crazymikey is very helpful crazymikey is very helpful
Trunk struts

Our cars have the hinges with springs, which really isn't a great set up, and it's easy for the trunk to blow shut or accidentally be knocked shut.

CD5's use struts with their trunk hinges.

I got a CD5 trunk hinge & strut at the wreckers last week and tried to adapt the strut to work with the trunk. However, I failed at finding a position to mount the strut in that would work.

Has anyone installed struts or some sort of other system on our trunks the way many of us have been retrofitting Legend struts to our hoods?
crazymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
hyoslvr
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: in the woods,tx
Posts: 69
hyoslvr is cool... so far.
Good question mikey. I have been wondering this myself, I'd like to do this then get my trunk working off the keyless entry.

O hey did you get your hood struts replaced? Didn't they give out on you?
hyoslvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
crazymikey
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 4,277
crazymikey is very helpful crazymikey is very helpful
They seemed iffy at first, but have been working flawlessly lately.
crazymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
dj_ender
Mod\Dubstep Pusher
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 3,715
dj_ender seems to have made some friends! dj_ender seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymikey View Post
They seemed iffy at first, but have been working flawlessly lately.
How do you have time to do any work when your always thinking of ways to work on your CB?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishakol129 View Post
Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )
dj_ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
evil_demon_01
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,877
evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire
If your CB doesn't have a spoiler, fit the Spoiler option springs to it.
__________________


Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.
evil_demon_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
mtnbikaah
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 1,302
mtnbikaah is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
If your CB doesn't have a spoiler, fit the Spoiler option springs to it.
He's got a Jetta Flushmount on his trunk.. Apparently it's really heavy. (relatively that is..)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10
mtnbikaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
crazymikey
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 4,277
crazymikey is very helpful crazymikey is very helpful
The VW flushmount I have is the foam style, and the thing probably weighs damn near 10lbs. It must weigh twice what a CB OEM spoiler does. It's like a giant weight on my trunk lid. It even takes some extra effort to open my trunk.

I used to have a VW flushmount that was the plastic version on my SE, and I had no issues with my trunk staying open with that because it was lighter, or as light as an OEM spoiler. My SE did not have an OEM spoiler, so it only had the regular springs which I have now. I hate the foam style one too, because it's all warped and shitty, as you can see in the pic.

I don't want to add OEM trunk springs. My intent is to add struts just for something different, because I haven't see anyone do it.

It would be possible to modify the CD5 hinges to work, but that will take some bodywork & modification to make it work, which at this point I am not willing to tackle yet.



Plastic style:



Last edited by crazymikey; 04-14-2012 at 08:46 PM.
crazymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:07 PM   #8
wherm
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: WI
Posts: 1,592
wherm seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to wherm Send a message via Yahoo to wherm
I put struts on my trunk. I spent a lot of time doing it too. Unfortunately, the way our trunks are hinged, they aren't easily compatible with struts. The problem I had was when the trunk was shut, the struts were still applying pressure to the hinges and the front corners stuck up and it was all out of whack. Long story short, the ball mounts are still welded in there, but I pulled the struts out and put the torsion rods back in. I used struts and mounts that I salvaged from a Mazda 3 decklid. They use the scissor style hinges which mount in the decklid gutter outside the weatherstrip, and are too tall to mount to the accord.

Not saying it can't be done, just saying that I tried it, didn't like my results, and didn't feel like spending anymore time trying to figure it out.
wherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
evil_demon_01
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,877
evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymikey View Post
Our cars have the hinges with springs, which really isn't a great set up, and it's easy for the trunk to blow shut or accidentally be knocked shut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikaah View Post
He's got a Jetta Flushmount on his trunk.. Apparently it's really heavy. (relatively that is..)
Oh, I didn't see that in the original post.
Good thing the OP stated that he needed stronger springs due to his heavy Non-OEM spoiler




Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymikey View Post
The VW flushmount I have is the foam style, and the thing probably weighs damn near 10lbs. It must weigh twice what a CB OEM spoiler does. It's like a giant weight on my trunk lid. It even takes some extra effort to open my trunk.
Take it off, Problem solved.


Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymikey View Post
I don't want to add OEM trunk springs. My intent is to add struts just for something different, because I haven't see anyone do it.
Oh now I understand.
You don't actually not want springs because "
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymikey View Post
Our cars have the hinges with springs, which really isn't a great set up, and it's easy for the trunk to blow shut or accidentally be knocked shut.
" You want struts because you want to be different.





I'm not taking the piss, I'm just showing you the basis of this thread.

If you want trunk struts, you will need to source some from another vehicle.
It really isn't that hard to setup either, just make sure you use low pressure struts - Most likely candidate is some 20 year old ones that have lost their pressure, Like some out of a legend that can no longer hold the hood up, in conjunction with the original CB springs.
__________________


Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.
evil_demon_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 AM   #10
crazymikey
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 4,277
crazymikey is very helpful crazymikey is very helpful
It seems like I would need to completely remove the existing hinges and adapt new scissor style ones like the CD5. However, they would require modification to mount.

I think my issue using the CD5 strut was that it was too short. It was strong enough to open and close the trunk, but was too short to pivot all the way with the hinge and would bind and not close the trunk all the way, leaving it half open. However, it would open the trunk and support it's weight no problem.

Perhaps I could test fit one of the Legend struts and see if I can use a longer strut that will give enough travel and pivot to close the trunk.

I would love to adapt CD5 scissor style hinges to the trunk as an ideal outcome. In the end I could work something out, but it's definetly time consuming, and not really a project I'd care to devote a lot of time to for something that doesn't get used that often.

Last edited by crazymikey; 04-15-2012 at 12:23 AM.
crazymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #11
evil_demon_01
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,877
evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymikey View Post
It seems like I would need to completely remove the existing hinges and adapt new scissor style ones like the CD5. However, they would require modification to mount.

I think my issue using the CD5 strut was that it was too short. It was strong enough to open and close the trunk, but was too short to pivot all the way with the hinge and would bind and not close the trunk all the way, leaving it half open. However, it would open the trunk and support it's weight no problem.

Perhaps I could test fit one of the Legend struts and see if I can use a longer strut that will give enough travel and pivot to close the trunk.

I would love to adapt CD5 scissor style hinges to the trunk as an ideal outcome. In the end I could work something out, but it's definetly time consuming, and not really a project I'd care to devote a lot of time to for something that doesn't get used that often.
I always hated the Honda boot strut design simply because it means opening the boot entirely by hand the whole way.
That is - Is doesn't really have a "Spring" point of balance, it always seemed to need help to do anything.


Either way, you could adapt struts to the circular "D" shaped hinges fairly easily.
It's not really that complicated, you just need to figure out the strut stroke vs pressure ratio required.
__________________


Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.
evil_demon_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 AM   #12
crazymikey
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 4,277
crazymikey is very helpful crazymikey is very helpful
Not necessarily that, but mounting locations inside the trunk. When I test fitted the CD5 strut (measures 7.5" closed, 13.5" fully extended), I attached one end to the hinge, but I couldn't find a place inside the trunk to mount the strut that would allow it to pivot enough with the hinge when closed, which obviously means the strut I'm trying to use is too short for what I want it to do.

And yes, the hinge design is really stupid, not to mention the hinges do take up a lot of space when closed, since they hang right down into the usable space.
crazymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:58 AM   #13
evil_demon_01
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 3,877
evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire evil_demon_01 is someone to admire
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymikey View Post
Not necessarily that, but mounting locations inside the trunk. When I test fitted the CD5 strut (measures 7.5" closed, 13.5" fully extended), I attached one end to the hinge, but I couldn't find a place inside the trunk to mount the strut that would allow it to pivot enough with the hinge when closed, which obviously means the strut I'm trying to use is too short for what I want it to do.

And yes, the hinge design is really stupid, not to mention the hinges do take up a lot of space when closed, since they hang right down into the usable space.
That depends how/where you mounted the pivot point.
Use a piece of string to start , that will give you an approximate length needed to mount 2 points.
Fold the back seat down and close the boot, then figure out the closed length.
__________________


Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.
evil_demon_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #14
crazymikey
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 4,277
crazymikey is very helpful crazymikey is very helpful
Yeah, I spent about 2 hours farting about with it using a tape measure and stuff. I got frustrated and left it for another day.
crazymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.