CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Suspension

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #21
dj_ender
Mod\Dubstep Pusher
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 3,732
dj_ender seems to have made some friends! dj_ender seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
At least twice it's been mentioned in this thread that we're singling out people who cut springs versus people who buy cheap eBay coilovers. When did this transition happen? I put them both on the same level. Just because the eBay springs are uncut doesn't mean any r&d or testing was put into them. They just copied a design and put them in boxes.
Because this thread is about cutting springs, and not using Ebay coilovers/springs!?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishakol129 View Post
Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )
dj_ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:34 AM   #22
HardInThePaint
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 3oh!3
Posts: 1,690
HardInThePaint seems to have made some friends! HardInThePaint seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_ender View Post
The tops and bottoms of the springs are tapered to a point so the tops AND bottoms of the springs are flat when they sit the the spring cups and perches. When people cut them, they are no longer flat, causing the spring to push slightly to one side, hit a bump, POP! your springs come out of the cups.
Well just to clarify, I'm not sure if you've ever dealt with cutting your springs but when you cut your springs you never go from the bottom, only off the top so sitting on the perch correctly is never an issue. The only reason the spring sometimes gets hung up on the bottom perch or snagged on the top hat is because the spring is so shortened that when you have your struts re-assembled the spring no longer comes in contact with the top hat. It only comes in contact when its put back onto the car and the weight of the car is sitting on them, that is until you hit a bump and the strut decompresses and exposes the top of the spring and if falls out of place. Then the car comes back down and there you are with your spring all out of wack.

To be honest, that same ass shit happens with lowering springs too so there really is no difference between having your shit cut versus having lowering spring or coilovers... In this particular situation that is.
__________________
HardInThePaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #23
dj_ender
Mod\Dubstep Pusher
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 3,732
dj_ender seems to have made some friends! dj_ender seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardInThePaint View Post
Well just to clarify, I'm not sure if you've ever dealt with cutting your springs but when you cut your springs you never go from the bottom, only off the top so sitting on the perch correctly is never an issue. The only reason the spring sometimes gets hung up on the bottom perch or snagged on the top hat is because the spring is so shortened that when you have your struts re-assembled the spring no longer comes in contact with the top hat. It only comes in contact when its put back onto the car and the weight of the car is sitting on them, that is until you hit a bump and the strut decompresses and exposes the top of the spring and if falls out of place. Then the car comes back down and there you are with your spring all out of wack.

To be honest, that same ass shit happens with lowering springs too so there really is no difference between having your shit cut versus having lowering spring or coilovers... In this particular situation that is.
Was never talking about cutting the bottoms. I know they get cut from the top. And no I don't have "experience" with cutting springs, well just one time, and that was enough to know it's stupid. Yup I said it again, IT'S STUPID.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishakol129 View Post
Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )
dj_ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:04 AM   #24
domesticated
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Idaho/Ann Arbor MI
Posts: 787
domesticated seems to have made some friends!
This thread is so full of lol.
__________________
'93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing - Chassis Dynamics Data
domesticated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:12 AM   #25
HardInThePaint
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 3oh!3
Posts: 1,690
HardInThePaint seems to have made some friends! HardInThePaint seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_ender View Post
Was never talking about cutting the bottoms. I know they get cut from the top. And no I don't have "experience" with cutting springs, well just one time, and that was enough to know it's stupid. Yup I said it again, IT'S STUPID.
Lol, Ender I like you. You always make damn sure cats understand what you are saying, even if it means you getting hella irritated by it.

And naw, I wasn't questioning your experiences with anything. You had just mentioned tops and bottoms in your other post, so I just wanted to make sure when were on the same page...
__________________
HardInThePaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #26
dj_ender
Mod\Dubstep Pusher
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 3,732
dj_ender seems to have made some friends! dj_ender seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardInThePaint View Post
Lol, Ender I like you. You always make damn sure cats understand what you are saying, even if it means you getting hella irritated by it.

And naw, I wasn't questioning your experiences with anything. You had just mentioned tops and bottoms in your other post, so I just wanted to make sure when were on the same page...
We are.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishakol129 View Post
Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )
dj_ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:21 AM   #27
cuate01221
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southbridge, Massachusetts
Posts: 711
cuate01221 seems to have made some friends! cuate01221 seems to have made some friends!
I remember reading that people who cut their springs to look "cool" were once dropped on their head, this is scientifically proven.

Anyway, it is not safe because you are putting more stress on 19-22 year old springs that were not made to be cut. Do you think Honda engineers ever thought "Lets make these springs stronger so when a dumbfuck goes to cut it, it won't break causing them to lose complete control of their vehicle, go off the road into a tree and die." If anything, they made the spring so grandma and grandpa will feel comfortable while going 20 in a 35mph zone.

These springs were not made to be cut, They came the way they are for a reason! If you want to go lower, man up and buy some lowering springs and the proper shocks to accommodate them!
__________________
cuate01221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:45 PM   #28
mappyCB7
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: merced california
Posts: 400
mappyCB7 is cool... so far.
nuff said^^
__________________
mappyCB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #29
redlined302
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Orig 302 DE currently tehachapi CA
Posts: 971
redlined302 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to redlined302
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuate01221 View Post
I remember reading that people who cut their springs to look "cool" were once dropped on their head, this is scientifically proven.

Anyway, it is not safe because you are putting more stress on 19-22 year old springs that were not made to be cut. Do you think Honda engineers ever thought "Lets make these springs stronger so when a dumbfuck goes to cut it, it won't break causing them to lose complete control of their vehicle, go off the road into a tree and die." If anything, they made the spring so grandma and grandpa will feel comfortable while going 20 in a 35mph zone.

These springs were not made to be cut, They came the way they are for a reason! If you want to go lower, man up and buy some lowering springs and the proper shocks to accommodate them!
This about sums it up. Cutting springs is the ultimate form over function move. Doing that, youre just asking to have your springs mess up on you and then ya end up sliding into a tree or a ditch and not only will you be out of a vehicle, but when teling cops and tow truck drivers and who ever else is there, they would most likely laugh in your face and proceed to call you a dumbass for riding on cut springs. Tell your buddy to just go the proper route and lower his car the right way and save a lot of trouble in the long run.
redlined302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #30
MidGa93EX
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 151
MidGa93EX is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to MidGa93EX
Well this thread has been an interesting read!

Long story short, yes, there are much better ways of PROPERLY lowering your car. Although cutting your springs is not going to "kill" you. Yes, your car can wind up riding like poop and be a bit bouncy, but so can highly expensive coilover setups if you go too firm with them.

Many times when using the cutting method, it's due to lack of funds, or unwillingness to spend a fairly large amount of money on a car that may not be "worth" it just to get the look desired. Also, many times this is done reusing the old, worn OE strut that is showing it's age, but really isn't noticable on the OE spring setup, that is until you drop it out of it's usual range with an altered spring rate.

Let's face it, a vast majority are not setting their car up for track use, and never really intend to. There are the select few that put the research and planning in to a well thought out setup that actually autocross or road course their car.

Cutting your springs is not the best way to lower your car. This is very, very true. But if you're just experimenting with the look of your ride and just riding around town in it, and don't mind a possibly harsh ride... go for it.

I have owned a $1400 set of TEIN coilovers on my CRX... but right now I have cut LOWERING springs on my Integra that I have invested literally NO money in since I got it and just wanted to see it "dumped".

I want a better setup on the car, and I bottom it out a lot... it just looked like crap to me sitting so high and squatting in the rear, so I did this temporarily.

Therefore I must be stupid.
__________________
Proud tech at "Premier Imports Inc. Honda and Acura Specialists" in Macon, Ga

Current:

93 Accord LX 4dr AT
91 CRX Si - BG-28-P
00 Accord LX 4dr AT - My DD
98 Accord EX 2dr MT - leatherrrr
89 Ford Bronco II
97 Z71

Former:

95 Civic DX 4dr MT
89 Civic HB MT - Blood, sweat, and tears.
98 Accord LX 4dr AT
88 Civic LX 4dr MT
90 Integra RS 4dr MT
92 Accord Wagon EX MT
93 Integra LS 2dr MT
90 CRX DX-R - swap from '88
88 CRX Si B16A - RIP
93 Accord EX 4dr 5spd - I miss her
MidGa93EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #31
mndude07
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 4,010
mndude07 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to mndude07
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidGa93EX View Post
Well this thread has been an interesting read!

Long story short, yes, there are much better ways of PROPERLY lowering your car. Although cutting your springs is not going to "kill" you. Yes, your car can wind up riding like poop and be a bit bouncy, but so can highly expensive coilover setups if you go too firm with them.

Many times when using the cutting method, it's due to lack of funds, or unwillingness to spend a fairly large amount of money on a car that may not be "worth" it just to get the look desired. Also, many times this is done reusing the old, worn OE strut that is showing it's age, but really isn't noticable on the OE spring setup, that is until you drop it out of it's usual range with an altered spring rate.

Let's face it, a vast majority are not setting their car up for track use, and never really intend to. There are the select few that put the research and planning in to a well thought out setup that actually autocross or road course their car.

Cutting your springs is not the best way to lower your car. This is very, very true. But if you're just experimenting with the look of your ride and just riding around town in it, and don't mind a possibly harsh ride... go for it.

I have owned a $1400 set of TEIN coilovers on my CRX... but right now I have cut LOWERING springs on my Integra that I have invested literally NO money in since I got it and just wanted to see it "dumped".

I want a better setup on the car, and I bottom it out a lot... it just looked like crap to me sitting so high and squatting in the rear, so I did this temporarily.

Therefore I must be stupid.
Yes, you are. You cut your springs AND you've bought Tein. Double fail.
__________________
There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!
mndude07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:31 AM   #32
steelbluesleepR
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,520
steelbluesleepR seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidGa93EX View Post
Although cutting your springs is not going to "kill" you.
It very well could, and you could kill other people. Stay the fuck off the road. Risking a horrible wreck just to look better is incredibly selfish. I'll say it again; STAY THE FUCK OFF THE ROAD.
__________________

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fry
'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
steelbluesleepR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #33
HardInThePaint
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 3oh!3
Posts: 1,690
HardInThePaint seems to have made some friends! HardInThePaint seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
It very well could, and you could kill other people.
Like I said, you got dudes running these Ebay universal coilovers ALL THE TIME and they are just as unsafe IMO. When you say "it very well could kill you and or somebody else" thats a pretty broad assumption. There are several things we do (as far as modification is concerned) that could possibly injure somebody but we choose to do them anyways. I'm just tired of all these dudes on these cut spring threads talking about they will kill you... Especially when a select few of you have experience with cutting springs.

Cutting springs I agree is just dumb at this point in the game. And I only say that because, why the hell would you cut your shit when there are springs and coilovers that you can buy that are designed for that very purpose? Using the argument "they will kill you" is borderline ignorant (and I only say this because you all are quick to talk about this death bullshit yet none of you have ever run cut springs or rolled in a car with cut springs or cut springs yourself, you are basically just repeating shit everybody else says on here). Not saying that it couldn't happen, its just that nobody has enough evidence that cutting your springs has caused fatal accidents.

You might as well say "sky diving can kill you". Yeah sure it can and it sure has killed several people but death doesn't happen enough times versus all the times people skydive for it to even really be relevant.
__________________
HardInThePaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #34
MidGa93EX
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 151
MidGa93EX is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to MidGa93EX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mndude07 View Post
Yes, you are. You cut your springs AND you've bought Tein. Double fail.
I never said I PAID that much for the Teins, the price was right, so I got the them... I know there are many better options

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
It very well could, and you could kill other people. Stay the fuck off the road. Risking a horrible wreck just to look better is incredibly selfish. I'll say it again; STAY THE FUCK OFF THE ROAD.
So my saggy 330,000 mile springs and blown, leaking struts were safer then I guess...

Stay the fuck off the road???! I'm sure that attitude never translates to road rage, does it? Not that that would be ANY more dangerous to other drivers, or yourself.
__________________
Proud tech at "Premier Imports Inc. Honda and Acura Specialists" in Macon, Ga

Current:

93 Accord LX 4dr AT
91 CRX Si - BG-28-P
00 Accord LX 4dr AT - My DD
98 Accord EX 2dr MT - leatherrrr
89 Ford Bronco II
97 Z71

Former:

95 Civic DX 4dr MT
89 Civic HB MT - Blood, sweat, and tears.
98 Accord LX 4dr AT
88 Civic LX 4dr MT
90 Integra RS 4dr MT
92 Accord Wagon EX MT
93 Integra LS 2dr MT
90 CRX DX-R - swap from '88
88 CRX Si B16A - RIP
93 Accord EX 4dr 5spd - I miss her
MidGa93EX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #35
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 37,732
deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. deevergote is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed.
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
I love people that defend their stupid decisions. Say what you will... it doesn't change the fact that improperly modifying your suspension is dangerous; to you, your passengers, and any that may be in your path when you find yourself unable to control your vehicle.

There are inexpensive SAFE options out there. There is absolutely NO excuse.
__________________

A number of shady companies have been hiding links on my site to generate search engine backlinks. Google has caught on, and is now penalizing these companies. Now these companies want ME to remove the links for them. Since they created the links, they may remove them. Hidden in single-pixel images here are links to over a dozen companies that have abused this site, and ignored/refused my instructions to remove their links. Each link found in this signature will be removed as soon as I am notified that all other links to that site are removed from this forum.
deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #36
cuate01221
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southbridge, Massachusetts
Posts: 711
cuate01221 seems to have made some friends! cuate01221 seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
I love people that defend their stupid decisions. Say what you will... it doesn't change the fact that improperly modifying your suspension is dangerous; to you, your passengers, and any that may be in your path when you find yourself unable to control your vehicle.

There are inexpensive SAFE options out there. There is absolutely NO excuse.
As my post above says, It is scientifically proven that people who drop their cars on cut springs, were once dropped on their head.
__________________
cuate01221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #37
MortsAccord
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Huntington WV.
Posts: 282
MortsAccord is cool... so far.
FAK_LAF please show proof of your education?

I think your an overly defensive idiot who contradicts themselves. One moment you say there's nothing wrong with cut/torched springs. The next you say you got real springs because your ghetto fabbed shit was "too bouncy".

Let's see a bouncy ride is safe? Need I say more?

I won't even bother listing why not to do modifications like torch/cut crap. Since most have been listed.

Im just amazed someone said "there's nothing wrong with it", then proclaimed to be educated. WTF.
MortsAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #38
wed3k
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 18,032
wed3k seems to have made some friends! wed3k seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to wed3k
so if i use a torch on my springs can i effectively change my spring rate?
__________________
I <3 G60.

Honda Parts liquidation

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.
wed3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:51 AM   #39
dj_ender
Mod\Dubstep Pusher
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 3,732
dj_ender seems to have made some friends! dj_ender seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wed3k View Post
so if i use a torch on my springs can i effectively change my spring rate?
Usually there's a bend where the lowering happened. You do it with load on the springs. I would think that would create a weak spot, and make your springs prone to breaking. Now maybe if you took them out, put them in a compressor, and heated the spring evenly.....maybe.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishakol129 View Post
Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )
dj_ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #40
mndude07
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 4,010
mndude07 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to mndude07
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_ender View Post
Usually there's a bend where the lowering happened. You do it with load on the springs. I would think that would create a weak spot, and make your springs prone to breaking. Now maybe if you took them out, put them in a compressor, and heated the spring evenly.....maybe.
I believe Progress can do this for a small fee
__________________
There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!
mndude07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.