No announcement yet.

Anatomy of an aftermarket projector headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah ok that makes sense then. It more or less is consolidating the light beam for essentially better light shine...Sweet looks like I will pick up some Projectors (hopefully decnet ones) soon then.
    The CB7 Collector.
    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
    92 LX Coupe F22A1
    2013 Toyota Corolla S
    92 EX Sedan F22A1
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

remember if you buy the ones that were posted in this thread, they have the 9005 low beam, like our stock headlights.

but most stock projectors use h3 or h4.
      i cant remember

Comment

Originally posted by 92jdm View Post
        remember if you buy the ones that were posted in this thread, they have the 9005 low beam, like our stock headlights.

i cant remember
        Is that the buld used in the HID's? H3 or H4?
        The CB7 Collector.
        Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
        92 LX Coupe F22A1
        2013 Toyota Corolla S
        92 EX Sedan F22A1
        Originally posted by deevergote
        Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Originally posted by 92jdm View Post

i cant remember
          wrong, they are 9006 for the low beams and 9005 for the highs

view my ride: My Ride

Comment

well you can get any style HID.
            like 9005, 9006, H3, H4.

our stock low beams are 9006, and in most aftermarket projectors, they are the same.
            but in most stock projectors, if you were to do a retrofit, it would probably be an H4 or H3.

Comment

Originally posted by jmolina View Post
              wrong, they are 9006 for the low beams and 9005 for the highs
              typo. notice how i posted the same time as you with the correct number.
              Last edited by noobcake; 02-09-2010, 12:46 AM.

Comment

to the OP, how are your cutoffs with your set of these preojectors? I have the same ones just they are black. I opened mine up too because my lenses were very very dirty, I think now that they are clean it should make a huge difference. But since I have them open, I always noticed my driver side cutoff was pretty sharp, but my passenger side cutoff was not. Did you notice the same thing with yours by any chance?

1992 Honda Accord Coupe LX

Comment

Projectors do just that. They project light. Thus why HIDs would be better suited in projectors. Normal halogen bulbs are like a standard house light bulb; light just shines out from all angles, only our headlight housings have caps, shrouds and mirrored background to help direct the light.

Projectors take the light and "gather it", so to speak, and "project" it through a much finer lense, and then you start getting into all the mumbo-jumbo or what is the projector light.

HIDs are ok on stock housings. But they'd be even better through projectors.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                  Originally posted by Jarrett
                  Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

To the OP, where did you get those lights? I am interested in following you in this DIY

Comment

I wanna say Ebay, but ive seen them elsewhere. Just search 90-93 projector headlights.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.

Comment

SlickCar has them...
                        http://www.slickcar.com/accessories/...conversion.asp

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmoreX View Post
                          So my question is this: Are we supposed to use HID's with Projectors or is that optional. I would like to know I just may retrofit mine so that its right.
                          Projectors focus the beam to eliminate excess glare. These headlights are actually for halogen projectors. They put out more light with HID bulbs but not as much and as clearly as they would if they were for HIDs.

Comment

Originally posted by vinbon63 View Post
                            to the OP, how are your cutoffs with your set of these preojectors? I have the same ones just they are black. I opened mine up too because my lenses were very very dirty, I think now that they are clean it should make a huge difference. But since I have them open, I always noticed my driver side cutoff was pretty sharp, but my passenger side cutoff was not. Did you notice the same thing with yours by any chance?
                            The cut offs (and light output) are not as nice as factory HID setups. While they are definitely better than the stock headlight configuration, the reason I'm doing this mod is because of my level of dissatisfaction with the performance of the halogen projector assembly in these headlights.

I hadn't noticed any change in the light output when I took mine apart.

Comment

Originally posted by nate'sCB7 View Post
                              To the OP, where did you get those lights? I am interested in following you in this DIY
                              Mine actually came from www.procarparts.com but that was years ago. They've been on the car for years. Keep in mind that some of the sites that SHOW this headlight aren't necessarily selling THIS headlight. When I was looking for a replacement headlight set, I contacted several websites that showed an image of the headlights that they were selling (same as these) - they sent the 1 piece goofy looking cheap plastic ones instead. Luckily, the body shop paid for them and returned them. I ended up buying one from a member on the forum that had the one I needed.

Ebay does randomly sell them as well. Seems like they've been easier to get lately.

Comment

Originally posted by mj213 View Post
                                The cut offs (and light output) are not as nice as factory HID setups. While they are definitely better than the stock headlight configuration, the reason I'm doing this mod is because of my level of dissatisfaction with the performance of the halogen projector assembly in these headlights.

I hadn't noticed any change in the light output when I took mine apart.
                                Agreed, definately no comparison with factory HID set-ups, but I was asking more particularly about your set of these headlights. Did you find any inequalities in cutoff and/or light output when comparing your driver side and passenger side lights?

1992 Honda Accord Coupe LX

Comment

Working...
                                X