Help Please - Cruise Control Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Please - Cruise Control Issues

Hey guys... I know I've been AWOL too long but I have a note from my doctor so it's all good

Been struggling over the last few weeks trying to get the cruise control not to drop speed when setting it.

When the ambient air temps are above 60 degrees F it seems to work alright... mostly. But when it's colder and the cruise is set let's say at 40mph it drops about 5mph. Once it drops it holds fairly steady. It was more inconsistent at higher speeds generally dropping more the faster the speed it was set at but it's still sort of erratic.

If I wanted to cruise at say 70mph I would set it for 74 or so and let it drop hope it would set at 70. Or I could use the accelerate button and bring it up to 74 and let it drop down and settle... very annoying.

My Honda mechanic tried adjusting the cable numerous times but still no joy. Eventually they tried various other things but now they're stumped.

So here's what's been done so far...

Using a couple '92 donors he has swapped out the following:
    - 2 Actuators one from each (mine was replaced some years ago along with the cable) - No difference
    - Speed sensor - No difference
    - Checked vacuum lines, installed a vacuum gauge to be sure it was holding and related items - vacuum holding fine but - No difference
    - Readjusted the cable several more times throughout all the parts swaps - no difference

The only remaining things to try is swapping the reservoir and check valve but confidence level isn't high.

Somehow I keep coming back to the actuator since I have this gut feeling about it. Since all actuators at this point are at least 25 year old and with vacuum diaphragms aging and drying out I'm not sure replacing it with another old unit is any guarantee that it isn't the root cause.

What's your thoughts?
    Last edited by hiptech; 12-03-2018, 09:17 AM.
    My Collection:
    93SE Sedan (Cashmere Metallic)
    00EXV6 Sedan (Naples Gold)
    04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)

Try changing the cruise control cable. If you've adjusted it that tight and it still won't change the it could be the issue. Make sure you're adjusting the right way first though. In this instance, there should be more thread outside of the cruise unit, which would make it tighter.
    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Everything points to the actuator. It's a giant plunger and it's rubber is losing air. More brittle when cold and under load. But... you have tried 2...

I say, try a 3rd.

When your speed drops do you also feel the pedal move?

Comment

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
        Try changing the cruise control cable. If you've adjusted it that tight and it still won't change the it could be the issue. Make sure you're adjusting the right way first though. In this instance, there should be more thread outside of the cruise unit, which would make it tighter.
        Will have to take another look at this... thanks

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
        Everything points to the actuator. It's a giant plunger and it's rubber is losing air. More brittle when cold and under load. But... you have tried 2...

I say, try a 3rd.

When your speed drops do you also feel the pedal move?
        Thanks Raf that's been my feeling too... perhaps fleetw00d or someone has one from a colder climate where the rubber diaphragm is in better shape?
        I'll need to pay closer attention to the pedal since it only drops about 3-5mph and does so gradually.
        My Collection:

Comment

So.. if the pedal doesn't move it's not a cable issue.
          If the pedal moves then the actuator is moving which tells you it's that thing. And then it's a vacuum issue or plunger issue. If you tried another actuator then that tells me it's the hose which feeds that unit. OR... a leak in the intake/throttle body which in turn feeds that hose.

Comment

I agree with raf99. You might have to try a few as any at jy are old also. It is the rubber part on the cc actuator. They get old and don't hold vacuum as well. I had same issue. The colder it gets the worse it worked or didn't work. I replaced the whole module from jy one and it worked fine. I had to get a couple from the jy as the first one had worn out but the second one worked like new.

Comment

Too funnny...

I started searching for actuators from the northern part of the country and this was one of the first things that popped up:
              https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/pt...759546851.html

LOL I'll definitely need to get a hold of Paul now...
              My Collection:

Comment

Parts on the way - didn't get a chance to clean them up to match the rest of your car.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I need to take one apart and get a better idea of how it works.

Just thinking - did you replace the check valve in any of this service work? I think it is intended to keep vacuum in the reservoir available for actuator if the manifold vacuum isn't low. If the check valve leaks, and vacuum is low for whatever reason, the actuator may have trouble generating enough force.

Having said that, you say you've checked how well the system holds vacuum. At what point in the system was the vacuum checked? Engine running (at idle) or not?
                  90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                  08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
                  X