EXT: Painted Emblem DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Painted Emblem DIY

I got a few request for how I did this, so here's the DIY. Someone please feel free to snag the images and host. When my site needs more space I will have to delete.

Tools Required but not essential

1-Punch or similar object to tap emblem.
    1-Hammer
    1-Assortment of sandpaper, I used 600-800.
    1-Can primer, I used filler type to conceal scratches.
    1-Can desired color, Duplicolor has tons of selections.
    I used SEM Bumper Coater 39273. It's OEM for older BMW's.
    Has a nice color to it, with metallic.

1-Can clear topcoat, if desired. I opted for the gloss look.
    1- Flathead screwdriver.
    1-Thinner, Mineral Spirits or Denatured Alcohol to wipe down the badge.

Estimated time-1.5-2 hours, let badge dry overnight.
    Difficulty Level - 1

1. Here's the OEM chrome badge, not very appealing.

2. Next, open the trunk and find the access hole for the badge.

3. Using a punch or similar item, you will tap on either side of the emblem the plastic pins. Be gentle, it doesn't take much.

4. You'll notice that the badge will pop up. Once it does, take the flathead screwdriver and gently work the badge off. There is adhesive holding the badge on the top and bottom which you'll be replacing.

5. Once the badge is off, take the 600 grit paper and start sanding down the chrome. It's important that you get it all scuffed or the paint will not stick very long. Once you have sanded with 600, switch to 800 and sand again. You can use a flat object, such as the screwdriver, to get into the tight places. Just wrap the sandpaper around the tip. Once sanded, the badge should look like the picture below.

6. Once sanded, you'll want to clean the badge with mineral spirits, denatured alcohol or thinner.

7. Once cleaned, begin the paint process. Coat the badge with 2-3 coats of primer and let it dry.

8. Paint the badge your desired color. As known, several light coats are better than one heavy coat. I applied around 5 coats to my badge letting it tack between coats.

9. Once the paint has dried a little more than standard tack, you can hit it with the clear topcoat. I applied 4 coats as a topcoat, letting each one tack before spraying the next.

10. Once dry, the next day, cut small pieces of 3M double sided adhesive and place them on the top and bottom of the badge in the factory locations.

11. Press the emblem back into the factory holes.

Here's the finished product. Worth the time, definately goes along with the rest of my look.

My Cardomain

Current Score: Cops - IV Me - V
    Quote of the moment: "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    Simulation Racing Thread i.e. PC, PS2 & XBOX

looks real good! i wanted to do that but ended up shaving embelms
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

looks very good my H emblem doesnt even have adhesive on the back soo you can pry it off with your fingers and the clips dont break if your careful...soo i do that everytime i wax my car and i wont have that white crap stuck in there

Comment

Does a chrome finish look like a good chrome finish? if u know.
        and how can you do the front emblem if possible?

Comment

Chrome finish paints don't look that good. As for the front emblem, it's covered in a type of epoxy so I can't really think how you could change it out right now.

My Cardomain

Quote of the moment: "The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."

Comment

Shit, you stole my idea .... I'm planning on black chrome look on silver....can you say mmmm?
            HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

hey cb7tuners has anyone put an emblem from a lude (88) on their cb7? it is giagantic compared to the cb7 one. well that isn't my question my question is what grit should i use if i wanna get the crome completely off? to peel it off. i got mine at a salvage yard hehe.

COLBALT CB7 2NER
              <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Will White work? Or will it get dirty or fade.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam91AccordLX
                  Will White work? Or will it get dirty or fade.
                  good prep work and proper amount of clear coat should make anything last and not fade.
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I would do this but considering the color of my car, you wouldn't be able to see it
                    No more cb7, 7 years of ownership and 196K on the ticker before she was sold

Current beast: 98 ej8 on 7psi with a 15g turbo and other goodies!

NREMT-B | 300D and some glass

Comment

My brother and I did this today, it came out pretty good. Just need to put them back on tommorrow. Nice DIY

'04 SB AP2 211whp 150wtq

Comment

be sure to get us some pics! thanx!!
                        " The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred " - Soichiro Honda

Comment

Originally posted by AlmightyAccord
                          be sure to get us some pics! thanx!!
                          We will see tommorrow if we can find the damn camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron CB7
                            My brother and I did this today, it came out pretty good. Just need to put them back on tommorrow. Nice DIY
                            Thanks.. it was my only contribution to CB7..lol.

My Cardomain

Comment

I did this a long time ago [when I did my headlights and heatshield] and I have to say the paint held up well for me. I didn't use primer but I put a bunch of coats and it only chipped on one spot[i was impatient to let it dry and the paint came off], it really looks good though...but you have to admit, anyone who does this is bored as shit.

http://www.FLAccords.com

Comment

Working...
                              X