Brainstorming Phase For New Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brainstorming Phase For New Car

As some on this board may know, my car was recently rear ended by a Ford F-150. After assessing the damage with the adjuster during his estimate, my car was deemed a total loss.

Now comes the talk of searching for a new car. I haven't narrowed down a budget yet, and I already have one project vehicle that's likely to be ongoing for the next 18-22 months or until deemed 'something as close to completion for a project vehicle as possible.'

With that said, I know what I like and want, and I know there are always new things coming out like the new Supra.

If 'YOU' were in my position, what would you have your eye on?

Constraints are as follows:

- Must be under 30,000 miles
    - Can be new or preowned (preference on new)
    - Must have at least 200hp.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

What are you looking for? convenient, Luxury or sporty? Budget mark? 2 or 4 door? Suv or car? Budget or fun? Too many unknown variables here.

My Brother wanted a dependable, 4 door car that was cheaper to run than his Mazdaspeed 3 and he ended up buying a 2017 Corvette Sting ray for $42000 before financing; needless to say he still drives the car he wanted to get rid of because the Corvette is not practical.

My daily driver is a 98 Corolla, my "work" vehicle is a GMC sierra and my weekend car is a 2011 Camaro SS that i bought so i wouldn't have to spend time under a car anymore tooling on it to make it faster and guess what......

Ill say if you can buy a helicopter and avoid all traffic.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
      What are you looking for? convenient, Luxury or sporty? Budget mark? 2 or 4 door? Suv or car? Budget or fun? Too many unknown variables here.

My Brother wanted a dependable, 4 door car that was cheaper to run than his Mazdaspeed 3 and he ended up buying a 2017 Corvette Sting ray for $42000 before financing; needless to say he still drives the car he wanted to get rid of because the Corvette is not practical.

My daily driver is a 98 Corolla, my "work" vehicle is a GMC sierra and my weekend car is a 2011 Camaro SS that i bought so i wouldn't have to spend time under a car anymore tooling on it to make it faster and guess what......

Ill say if you can buy a helicopter and avoid all traffic.
      That's the whole point. I don't want to be specific and narrow down the field so quickly. I want the full range of options. Coupes, sedans, luxury, sport, pick ups, SUVs, econo-boxes, etc... Get crazy, and let's see what options start flying.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

The next vehicle we plan to purchase in my household will be a Honda Pilot. We love everything about it, brand new with all the bells n whistles it runs high 40s. But we keep our cars for a long time and with a kid the 3 row option is awesome for the future.

I do love my tundra, but the gas mileage is a bust, but they retain their value and are very dependable and spacious. If I was to get a car I would look into the new Accord. If money wasn’t a problem I would be getting a Tesla. Even the model 3 is a great little car.
        Last edited by Grumpys93; 09-07-2019, 01:40 PM.
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
          The next vehicle we plan to purchase in my household will be a Honda Pilot. We love everything about it, brand new with all the bells n whistles it runs high 40s. But we keep our cars for a long time and with a kid the 3 row option is awesome for the future.

I do love my tundra, but the gas mileage is a bust, but they retain their value and are very dependable and spacious. If I was to get a car I would look into the new Accord. If money wasn’t a problem I would be getting a Tesla. Even the model 3 is a great little car.
          I've been eyeing the Tesla 3. It looks like...ummm...something we all need - environment, cough, cough! A p/u is always a go, and that's one of the main reasons I got the Chevy S-10.

I do have some time to think and get things in life more organized.

Meanwhile, I'm playing two to three games of chess (life), and I'm trying to see all the angles.

#life
          Last edited by Straight Success; 09-07-2019, 09:52 PM.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
            I've been eyeing the Tesla 3. It looks like...ummm...something we all need - environment, cough, cough! p/u

#life
            I will respectfully disagree, i need an exhaust note and to be able to work on my own car without needing some king of electronics degree as well as to be able to buy parts in amazon or ebay etc..........

Tundras actually do depreciate compared to Camry and Tacoma models, we bought a new 2018 Camry last year because we first looked at used models but they were only $1-2K less with 20-30k miles more and same applies to Tacomas. Its actually cheaper to buy a used Tundra than a used Tacoma of the same year and with less miles on the Tundra; i would still take the Tundra though given the size since i do use my trucks as trucks and that should mean something considering i have a GMC.

SRT Challengers are nice.
            [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
              I've been eyeing the Tesla 3. It looks like...ummm...something we all need - environment, cough, cough! A p/u is always a go, and that's one of the main reasons I got the Chevy S-10.

I do have some time to think and get things in life more organized.

Meanwhile I'm playing two to three games off chess (life), and I'm trying to see all the angles.

#life
              I highly...highly considered a Model 3 for a daily. That would save me considerable costs in fuel, oil, emissions, etc. I would probably consider the Model X too, as it can do a bit of everything, tow, grocery, daily, baby, etc.

So with that being said, if I was in your shoes at this exact moment, I'd get the M3 (not the BMW)

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I will respectfully disagree, i need an exhaust note and to be able to work on my own car without needing some king of electronics degree as well as to be able to buy parts in amazon or ebay etc..........
                There's a software update for that and online degrees are pretty cheap

I did think about that part, no pun intended. Rockauto has brakes and wipers. That's all you really need as any other part that breaks/wears on any Tesla is going to be $$$.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I'm waiting for the Tesla P/U to reveal itself, at the snap of Elon's fingers of course. I want to see one on the road in action.

An idea I have is to own something that's completely stand alone from full electronics with a sh!t ton of power and torque. For example, a mint condition '74 Nova with a 396 pushing 500 ponies and a similar number for amount of torque. I'll keep that on ice. That, or an '86 Ford LTD with a built 351 Cleveland. Just examples.

Merging back to the OP, an all electric or eco-box with power is ideal for a DD. That new Porsche, the Taycan, yeah! It's a few extra pennies; ah, who am I kidding? It's a lot of extra pennies, but man, the lust is real right now. Disclaimer: I'm not a huge Porsche fan. There's maybe 3 or 4 models I would possibly buy. Is it our our budget? Hmmmmm - time will tell.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Tundras actually do depreciate compared to Camry and Tacoma models, we bought a new 2018 Camry last year because we first looked at used models but they were only $1-2K less with 20-30k miles more and same applies to Tacomas. Its actually cheaper to buy a used Tundra than a used Tacoma of the same year and with less miles on the Tundra; i would still take the Tundra though given the size since i do use my trucks as trucks and that should mean something considering i have a GMC.

SRT Challengers are nice.
                    True, but you also pay a lot more for a lot less when it comes to the Tacoma. I paid 41k out the door for my brand new 2014(in 2014) Tundra Limited Crewmax 4x4 5.7L fully loaded, that same price would have gotten me the top of the line Tacoma with a lot less room, power, and towing capacity.

Tacoma's are so expensive and they are that way because they are very sought after.

I recently KBB my tundra just to see how much it retained it value it still calls for 28-31k trade in. 10K depreciation with 73k miles and 5 years later isn't that bad in my books
                    ~Nick~
                    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

I've been seeing more and more Tundras on the road year after year.

I always said I am going to own a Denali 3500 or maybe even a Silverado 3500. It'll fit in the driveway, and ample street parking is present, but for a DD, I don't think it's practical. I couldn't see myself shifting over to Toyota for a P/U simply because... Let's say this, I don't personally have any gripes against Toyota trucks. I have a preference for a greater than 6' bed and four wheels in the rear. A sports car or luxury sedan (hello Lexus LS460 and some change), then yeah, I'd be all over it. This is of course if I can afford it. That, or an A8.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                      X