No announcement yet.

H311RA151N : 1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 5 weeks, multiple days trying to be home to sign for delivery and a brief hospital stay I finally have it.

FP did great. It took too long. And being as I have a full time job plus some it was incredibly difficult to be home to sign for it. I was quite frustrated as to how long it took to actually have it in my possession. August 1st I sent it out. Got it back 9/4.

If their turn around time was improved I might use them again. I guess we will see how well it holds up. Probably pretty decent.

I have an ailment to deal with so I'm limited on what I can accomplish. But I'd still really like to get it installed soon.

Comment

After 9 hours the T28 is on. There are some issues to address. I have no clue how the DSM guys do this and claim it takes them under 2 hours. I struggled the ENTIRE time.

Also, I have been training someone at work for night shift which is 3:00p to 11:30. I woke up at 11:00a, worked until 11:30p last night then got home and started on this at 12:50a. I completed the test drive at 9:45a this morning. Got a three hour nap and here I am. Documenting my not so fun experience. Oh, and I was in the hospital half the day Tuesday. And had an issue as I was leaving and had to go right back into the ER before I even left the parking lot. So this week was ROUGH. I was cussing some of the time and praying the other part of the time on each and every task. I wasn't at my best, never replaced a DSM turbocharger before, and was after a full shift of work.

Anyhow,

Before I fully committed I made certain that I wasn't going to break any bolts during disassembling. I broke every nut and bolt lose with PB blaster.

First major issue is I couldn't get the factory hardline oil supply line off. I needed a 7/16" line wrench. Mine are metric. I couldn't get the one off the top of the turbo. So I had to disconnect it below the car. One was metric, the other standard.

Next I couldn't get the O2 sensor out. With either of the two types of O2 sockets I have. So I removed everything with it still in the housing.

When I unbolted everything the stud in the turbo going to the turbo manifold did not allow the turbo to drop down enough without hitting the compressor housing on the front motor mount. So the turbo manifold and turbo had to be unbolted loosely and finessed out.

I had to remove the stud from the old turbo that goes through the turbo manifold and install it in the new turbo. I used visegrips.

I had to remove the oxygen sensor. I cut the top off and used a 6 point socket. Luckily I had a brand new Denso O2 sensor.

I couldn't remove the stud from the old turbo that went through the O2 housing. I used a bolt from the old turbo and cut a section of the threads off as it wouldn't go in as it was too long to align with the hole. I did this with visegrips and a hack saw. I don't have a vise/vise stand.

Once assembling I struggled horribly with the factory oil supply hard line. Getting it to thread in. I finally got it. After an hour.

I struggled for another hour on the oil return line. I don't understand how I removed it super carefully and it went smooth as butter yet it was miserable to get it to go back on. And this leaks now... a lot. And I struggled with it so long that I probably damaged the gaskets. I also nearly cross threaded a bolt into the oil pan in the process. I could've cried at this point. I did get it but it leaks. I already bought a brand new one as well as all bolts and gaskets. OEM of course. Not playing games with this stupid oil return line.

When tightening the O2 housing to downpipe nuts one got weak. I stopped. It was already decently tight. I did not install the new 3" downpipe. I even used the old gasket. Not worried too much about this. I bought two new OEM studs and 3 new bolts. To use the double nut method for removal and installation. $11.00 each stud. Ouch.

Then... I broke a stud off in the head. Luckily it's in the top. I used a 4 layer Galant VR4 or maybe it's an EVO 4 ply manifold to head gasket. It doesn't leak with the stud broke. For now. So I bought a new stud, nut and washer. I also purchased a set of reverse drill bits, pilot punch and a nice Irwin brand easy out set. I'm going to try and remove the broke stud with the manifold in place. I think it can be done. If not I'm paying a shop to do this. But I'm going to attempt it regardless.

I got it back together and used the old coolant after filtering it. Added some distilled water, 1/4 gallon and install a new oil filter and oil.

It pulls great. No exhaust leaks but the oil return line leaks like a sumbitch. Like a pool of a 1/2 cup measuring cup of oil after parking. Not horrible but it wont work. OEM everything for the oil return is on the way.

It doesn't spool nearly as fast as the T25.

It pulls to redline now and I got it on wastegate pressure. Vacuum line from the wastegate to the compressor housing. It makes 9psi and starts to spool at 2500-2700 and is at 9psi at 2900 to 3000. 9psi is full boost right now.

It's much quicker than before. That pre-turbo leak it had killed it before. It smokes like Vin Diesel's Charger when doing a pull to 3rd gear. I think it pushes oil past the oil return gasket on the oil pan and it hits the exhaust. It's not exhaust smoke.

So there will be more updates. I don't really care for working on anything anymore. I work on shit all day (industrial building) and I just don't want to do it when I come home. I like cars. I'm just not liking working on them much anymore. I'm sick of fighting parts, and cars etc. Maybe I'm not as good as I used to be. Idk honestly.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 09-09-2019, 12:14 AM.

Comment

I have some industrial 120v electronics fans that wire into a series I put to use yesterday during testing. It was so hot that I needed something to cool it down so I could work on it. I needed to watch it on my camera to ensure something didn't go wrong with the fans. It gets super hot with the heat shield off. Some time I will post these fans on here. I got them for free from work years ago.

T25 out. T28 completely in.

Irwin easy out set came in. And the cheap Center punch. Still waiting on the reverse drill bits.

The OEM everything oil drain related is on it's way. I'll get to it Friday after work. Probably work until 3 or 4am on it. Hopefully the exhaust manifold stud will come out too during this time.

Comment

I just realized that I spent $55 on an extractor set that won't work for this... :facepalm:

They are too short. Oh well I guess. I didn't have anything prior.

I need an extended set. Something longer. And of good quality. I'll find that and have them here before friday.

Comment

Playing around. If anything was weak I wanted it to go ahead and break. Boost is up. About 13psi. Got the downpipe on. Didn't know I needed a 2.5" to 3" adapter. Need some new hangers and hanger bolts too. It's all on the way.

Comment

Link fixed^^^

Comment

I've started a YouTube channel. It's rough and I'm no photographer or videographer. It seems the forums (all forums) have been dwindling in recent years past. And FB isn't my thing. So that led me to make the decision to go to YT.

My startup cost was about 25 bucks. I use my Note 8. I'm sure I'll upgrade in the future. Until then I'm just going to continue to do my best with what I have. I'd like to have 1 or 2 videos up a week.

This means I'm not going to be posting much on here anymore but feel free to follow me on YouTube. You guys are still my favorite. I dont see that changing. I appreciate everything over the years. And there are going to be a lot of CB7 videos. So you all might like that.

Also, I still don't have a YT channel name. The one I have right now I just came up with in a few seconds. Any suggestions welcome.

Link below.

Comment

Subbed. I have a YT as well, but I've been neglecting it because life *sigh*

My suggestions, make a nice thumbnail as that would up your exposure.
                  2 add more detail in your title and description. The YT algorithm uses keywords to do something and move your videos to related topics.

I'm going to watch the vid now lol

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                    Subbed. I have a YT as well, but I've been neglecting it because life *sigh*

My suggestions, make a nice thumbnail as that would up your exposure.
                    2 add more detail in your title and description. The YT algorithm uses keywords to do something and move your videos to related topics.

I'm going to watch the vid now lol
                    Got your YT and subbing after this post. Much appreciated! I have absolutely no experience. Clearly. Only subject matter. And I don't mind the personal exposure. I figure everything else will follow.

I had friends in my previous state of residency that were going to help me find equipment and such as they were hobbyists in the subject. I lost contact with them when I moved last summer.

I see your videos (thumbnails so far) and I have quite a few questions as for what editing software you are using and specifics on equipment or reccomendations. I don't know hardly anything about photography or videography.

I seriously appreciate the advice so far. You have no idea.

Checking out your channel now.

Comment

I'm literally using my phone and the adobe suite. That's it. I promised myself that if I get 1k subs, I'll get an actual camera. That might take 1 year? Enough time to play around and find a "style."

I can try my best to answer questions ��

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                        I'm literally using my phone and the adobe suite. That's it. I promised myself that if I get 1k subs, I'll get an actual camera. That might take 1 year? Enough time to play around and find a "style."

I can try my best to answer questions ��
                        Ok that's good to know.

I'm using my phone as well. I think I need proper lighting...

I watched several of your videos. I'm impressed and intrigued. I really appreciate the information and I'm sure I'll be asking a couple questions when I know what I'm doing a little more.

Comment

Subbed.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                            Subbed.
                            Thank you!

Plenty of CB7 stuff coming up.

Comment

Turned out really good!

Got the exhaust on this all but the axle back. Test drove it. Very pleased!

Comment

I actually enjoyed that little video while sipping my morning coffee. And ya, sounds loud :P

D00d, did you get a Honda tattoo above your elbow?

Comment

Working...
                                X