BMW 2002, worth the $300?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW 2002, worth the $300?

Recently someone offered me a 1976 BMW 2002. Supposedly it runs (only has about 20k miles) but there is a short in the electrical somewhere. Personally, ive been looking for an older datsun for a project car but this could do The guy is selling it for $500 but i think i can talk him down to $300. Went to take a look at it today, he wasnt home:

Would be cool to restore it or make it into a rat rod

Opinions? Is it worth it? or should i let it be?
    Thanks guys!

^MRT^

Is the body rusted out?

Comment

shit for 250 you'd probably get even more back in scrap prices but yeah i'd take a stab at it.

Comment

I love those cars, I actually saw a pretty nice looking one a few days ago. I think its a nice little project. Go for it.
        1993 Accord EX
        2011 Subaru STi

Comment

id say go for it. If you decide not to keep it and its not rusted out ill buy it for double what you paid!

Comment

Originally posted by AmznAzn View Post
            Recently someone offered me a 1976 BMW 2002. Supposedly it runs (only has about 20k miles) but there is a short in the electrical somewhere. Personally, ive been looking for an older datsun for a project car but this could do The guy is selling it for $500 but i think i can talk him down to $300. Went to take a look at it today, he wasnt home:

Opinions? Is it worth it? or should i let it be?
            Thanks guys!
            Ahhhhh good ole rusty. i loved that car.

id be worried about rust in the back but if youre gonna turn it into a rat rod then thats not exactly an issue as long as all of the major supports arent rusted out. could be fun, i love the old 2002s.

its crazy how that car transformed when he soaked the the car in oil, chopped the top, and lowered it even more.

theres also mike burroughs other creation ever since he lost that 5 series in a fire.

either way i love the styling of old bmw's.

if you think youre up to the task of sorting the wiring, id say its definitly worth getting, and having fun with.. redoing a lot of wiring, and trouble shooting wiring issues is not for the feint of heart though, its what ultimately got me to give up on my old 280z.

Comment

you can probably just wash it and triple your money

Comment

Well that was a bit misleading, I was expecting to see a BMW from the year 2002, haha.

I'd say to get it, there can't be but so many wires to check being it's from 1976 and it's not EFI.

Comment

definitely buy it. dont ask questions. just hand the guy a fistful of cash and say "shut up and take my money."

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                  Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                  'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                  Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Don't rat-rod a 2002... that's blasphemy!

That's essentially the predecessor to the M3. It was BMW's sports car before BMW really made sports cars! That thing has a rich racing heritage, and has one hell of a following even today. The interior looks quite good. The engine bay doesn't look great, but the picture isn't that clear. The exterior is shit... but still... for $300, to find a 2002 that's a good candidate for restoration... that's a steal!

Buy it for $300, dump $2000 into it, and you'll likely have a car worth $4000 if you sold it... but I have a feeling you'd love driving it so much you wouldn't want to part with it. If I had room and time for such a project, that would certainly be in my driveway!

And because it still has a cult following, and because it's still raced by enthusiasts, you'll still be able to find parts for it. Both for restoration and performance.

Comment

That alternator in it looks pretty new compared to everything else in that engine bay.

Comment

GET IT! those cars are very collectable and that one looks pretty nice... id give u 1k for it based on those pics alone.

my friend said he would trade u his daily... its a 81 e21 and it runs great... fuel injection too! haha

IMG_0759d by crsfoto.com, on Flickr
                        Last edited by J-specCb4; 09-14-2012, 06:43 PM.

"Tucking tires and wires."
                        The Chronicles.

Comment

those are timeless classics. deff cop that and restore it.
                          <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

Confirm floor boards ARE NOT rusted out meaning, thru and thru the bare metal.

If all is well, buy it.

If not, let me know and I'll come get it and haul that biatch back to Metro area.

TIMELESS Piece for sure.
                            RETIRED...

Comment

How do you guys find cars like this for so cheap?? Around here a car like that would sell for a ton more..

Comment

Working...
                              X