Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Fixing Noisy/Loose Windows

Fixing Window Pin Kit
    Do your windows rattle when they are rolled down, and make a nasty sound when you shut the door? If so, and you have a coupe, the culprit may very well be the window pin kit/guide at the rear of the window. They will rattle for quite some time until the guide will fall off, then you have no choice but to replace it.

I think this problem is mainly only an issue on coupes since the doors are larger, and there is more glass to keep aligned for 15 years. If your sedan is rattling, most likely you just need to take the door panel off, and tighten up something.

Parts

*Phillips and flathead screwdriver
    *10mm socket
    *t-10 or t-15 star type bit or 5/32 drill bit (easiest)
    *New pin kit Honda Automotive Parts - It is item #1, product 95731. To buy it locally just print off that page, or just remember "window pin kit"

Down and dirty

1. Roll down the window leaving about 1-2 inches showing. Then remove the door panel. There are 3 covers that you need to pop off, and two in the door handle. Here is a thread that shows how to remove the panel. For power windows, all you have to do is disconnect the wires from the back.

2. To remove the door handle, you unscrew 2 phillips screws, then you must take a flathead screwdriver, and undo the linkage at the rear of the handle. You'll understand when you see it.

2a. To make it easy to adjust the window, and make sure it works. Take the window switch out of the door panel (one screw under it, and just pry it out) Do this after the door panel is off and it'll be easy.

3. At the rear of the window, there is a cover that you can peel off, which will reveal 4 screws. Peel it off, and unscrew it.

4. You can now pop that black track out (dont pull the black rubber molding at the front, its not attached to the track. (track is pictured at the top of the picture. The little cover piece is at the bottom)

5. Now go to the bottom of the door, and loosen the 2 10mm bolts about 2 turns. 2 bolts are circled, if you cant see the front one, roll up/down the window until you can.

6. Pull the window out of the top of the door. Pull the rear out first and it should come out smoothly. Lay it on a towel so it doesnt get scratched.

7. You now need to take the old window pin off. Either use a bit that will fit it (remember to turn right to loosen since you are unscrewing the part on the other side). I used a 5/32 drill bit, just drilled it out and popped it off.

8. Put the new one on just like the old one. You dont have to overtighten it, just get it nice and snug so it doesnt wiggle around.

9. Look in the bottom of the door for a rubber molding that looks like this. It belongs in the bottom part of the track at the rear of the door. I put the cut part at the top, and the small lip towards the inside of the car, and didnt re-use the plastic clip that goes at the bottom.

10. Turn the pin kit so the guide part is closest to the rear of the window, and drop it back in the tracks. Then put the two 10mm bolts at the bottom of the glass in the regulator but dont tighten them down yet.

11. Now slide the track back into the rear of the door, making sure the window pin goes in the track. Line up the screw holes and tighten them down

12. Put on the cover strip. Mine didnt want to stick so I used some non-hardening black gasket sealant in a few spots.

13. You can now tighten up the 2 bolts at the bottom of the glass.

14. Test the window, if its running a little slow, spray silicon lube down the front and rear tracks.

15. Reassemble the door panel and clean your window from all the grease.

Last edited by aero; 12-30-2005, 04:13 PM.

Good write up ...this will most def help alot of ppl out...i actually needed to do this...until my windows suddenly stop rattlin on their own...

Click ^^^ for MR Thread
    Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
    by the way, arguing on the net is like womens basketball, even if you win, no one cares.

Comment

my rattle when it fully roll up, wonder of this will help and I also have a coupe
      90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
      < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

nice ill be doin it soon thanks

Comment

Originally posted by blazen_accord
          my rattle when it fully roll up, wonder of this will help and I also have a coupe
          An easy way to check if this is your problem.. roll the window down some, and then give it a little shake inside to outside, and see if the little pin thing has play in it.

If it does it when its up, the bottom part might just be loose.

Comment

Thanks for the writeup! I'm going to do this on a free weekend
            ~~~~~~~

Comment

Great write up! Going to try this sometime this week.

Comment

I did mine yesturday, but i didnt take the window out all all, i just let the thing slide down a lil bit an held it there with a screwdriver an then pushed my window on over it an screwed it on with my fingers an then tightened it with plyers but i scratched it a lil but it works. i was 2 lazy 2 do all of that cuz i wanted to be able to roll down my window again cuz i had to work like an hr l8er. Im only 17 so yeah im not motivated
                www.tintmasters.net <------- Local Import Shop Go Check Em Out
                http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=27CCDA2B-7E09-495F-BE7D-31A4D70511D5

Comment

The plastic skin that covers the door panel, did you replace it when you installed it back? Mine ripped, is it really needed?

Comment

Originally posted by i97supratti
                    The plastic skin that covers the door panel, did you replace it when you installed it back? Mine ripped, is it really needed?
                    Nope, actually mine was in mint condition, but I tore it all off. Its pretty useless, just one more thing to get in the way.

Comment

Honda did put it there for a reason. It's there as a vapor barrier and to keep moistor outside the car. Haveing said that I'll admit that mine is completely gone. I haven't had any problems with water getting into the car thogh... I'll just replace it with some dynamat whever the budget permits
                      ~~~~~~~

Comment

When I replace my stock speakers with better ones, I plan on replacing that skin to make sure the speakers cannot get damaged. The skin is like $13 per side from Honda.

Comment

When I replace my stock speakers with better ones, I plan on replacing that skin to make sure the speakers cannot get damaged. The skin is like $13 per side from Honda.
                          When I bought my cd5 from a honda dealer, we had them replace a window motor for us. After we got it back, I decided to upgrade the speakers in the door panel, and they didnt replace that plastic. So who knows if you really need it or not.

Comment

thanks for the write up. i'll be doin it soon. the rattling kills me everytime

Comment

Nice write-up y'all!

Both my windows rattle from half-down to all the way down.

BTW- is there a part number for the rubber strip that goes over the screws on the back edge of the window(that piece ya gotta peel off to get the 3 screws)? Mine flew off on the highway today.

Thx
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X