No announcement yet.

domesticated : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I don't think the PDE head has oil galleys to support the hydraulic lifter. I forgot to check. I may need to find another solution. I don't want to reuse the spring ones that came with the donor head.
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

PDE head is a Euro-R head. Same qualities regarding the LMAs/lifters, semicircles, and notably the wear on the rockers. Did that head have aftermarket valve springs in it by chance??

I am very curious to see what you find regarding your comparison of the oil passages for the LMAs, and whether or not each head has them and if the two styles of lifters are actually interchangeable or if they need to be paired with the heads the came in, because of the lack of oil passages? That would be good to know about, since I have a PDE head and was considering putting P13 lifters in.............

Also, regarding those oil restrictor pins, and one being taller than the other - you sure you're comparing the same ones? Each head actually has 2, one for each cam, and one is taller than the other. It looks like you're holding both pins from the same head.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
      - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
      - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
      - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
      - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
      Current cars:
      - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
      - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Holy crap dude! You might be right about the oil pins. I check the two heads side by side. I just looked at the cam caps and the holes are different depth. I wouldn't have caught that unless I tried to put the big one in the small hole. As far as the head, it's not a Euro head. It's an OBDII head. From my research it seems all the OBDII USDM heads have the same thing cast into them. I don't have the parts that came out. Mike held onto them... I'll talk to him about that.

Comment

Block is here. It's going together slowly because I'm ridiculously busy right now. But I'll try to take as many pics as possible and maybe you'll catch me screwing up and straighten me out!

Comment

It's amazing how much I still learn. Those aren't lifters, they're Lost Motion Assemblies (LMA). They just apply pressure to the VTEC rocker to hold it in place. The spring type are newer and Honda found them to be better. I assumed the P13 LMAs were hydraulic because they look just like hydraulic lifters. They are not at all and they are dramatically softer than the newer spring type. Also, the B series uses H22 LMAs with a shim and they rev much higher. It seems the spring type are the ones to go with because they are much stiffer. Mine aren't in good shape, they're pretty torn up so I need to order new ones anyway.

Anybody have any feedback on this?

Comment

by "lifters" I assumed you meant vtec-lobe-lifters, rather than actual valve lifters, but yes their proper name is LMA. They stopped making the old P13 style ones around 1999 and switched over everything to the spring (PDE) style ones because they last longer. You could run the old ones if you want, but if any feel stuck or soft, you can always get new-style spring ones new from the dealer:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...E+-+ROCKER+ARM

#20 at the bottom

btw, the new block looks great!!!!
              Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-09-2015, 10:12 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Yea I already found those. I was going to go into my local parts dealer and see what their price is before ordering. I just wanted to see if there was any feedback from people on here about it.

Comment

Ordered the LMAs. Just placed another order for seals, a New oil pan, and some hardware. The old oil pan had a bunch what looked like dynamatt on it? No idea why. But I tried to clean it off as much as possible before. It also had a lot of gasket sealer stuck to it. A new steal pan was only 66 so why not. The valve cover that cave with the donor head looks much better. I'll put that one on. Just had this on to keep the dust out. Also my builder deleted the oil squirters. I haven't heard back from him as to why. Idk if the not necessarily need added oil pressure is worth the loss in piston cooling. Unless these rods have the oil gallery like H23 rods. I don't know that yet.

Comment

That's such a good looking motor! It's kinda cool to see the finer differences between the two heads. He may have deleted the oil squirters for rod clearance possibly?

Comment

I don't think so, I don't remember specifically how far into the cylinder the squirters were, but with a stock stroke I don't think that would have been close. The pistons aren't designed underneath to take advantage of the oil, but they should still provide some cooling.

Comment

lol...

Comment

It's a 2016 with only 2k miles on it so far. Getting every dollars worth.
                          Before:

After:

Comment

Got my LMAs, so now I can finish up the head! Still waiting on a bunch of other stuff.

Comment

Wow, I hadn't realized in lacking updates. I have some nice pics of the engine I can pull up when I get on my computer. Engine is assembled and bored in with two motor mounts. Did that the night before I left for AZ back in November. I probably won't touch it again until April because I'll be gone traveling for work.

Comment

Updates please, and lots of pics.

MRThttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=84102 93se h22/t2t4

Comment

Working...
                                X