Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on HTPC setup?

OK so ill try and keep this quick-
    Im sure someone has more experience with this than I....
    My main entertainment setup right now includes a 60" Plasma, My denon 5.1 system, and a PS3.

Over the years I have acquired movies in 1080P and some in 720 which are usually in the format of MKV, MPEG, or AVI.

In the beginning I tried streaming movie files via Playstation Media server which is just a way to serve media to your ps3.
    Anything over 720, and some 720 would stutter, sometimes really badly.
    No matter how I tweaked the settings and what I did, it would not work.
    One day I said fuck it and ran Ethernet from my modem to my PS3.

Thinking this would work better as I was under the impression that my wireless was not robust enough to carry HD video.

Well, to my dismay stuttering still happened.
    So I streamed a movie and opened up my task manager on the sending machine and quickly saw that my Intel Core Duo was maxed.
    basically what was happening is that when I try and serve media from the PC to the PS3, if the file is not in a format that the Ps3 natively likes, it has to be transcoded. Transcoding on the fly takes up a fuckton of CPU power.

So basically unless I upgrade my desktop, I can never stream HD files.
    And by the way my desktop has a Radeon HD 4800....so it is outdated by my buddy was able to play 1080p files on his setup but his is played through VLC connected directly from PC to TV....My pc is in another room.

So im thinking now, with CPU getting smaller and pcs smaller than ever before, maybe my best bet is to acuire or build an HTPC that will go in my cabinet and basically connect via HDMI to my tv through my DENON and then Instead of transcoding or streaming over wifi, I can just switch inputs to the HTPC, open up the file in VLC and then sit back and watch. No stutter.

So for a while my idea was to just pick up a Mac Mini but a decent one is $400.
    I have found other alternatives that are cheaper such as a Chromebox as I love Google and I use Chrome for everything else but I am worried with that setup that id be limited as the Chrome OS is basically a Chrome browser.

So what I want to find out-

What do I need to run this? What is the min processor specs that I should be looking at?

I don't want to spend money and then realize that it wasn't "enough".
    My duo core PC sometimes plays 1080p MKV without issues and sometimes stutters without transcoding In the mix so Im pretty sure I at least need a quad core with im assuming 2.2 GHZ?

I was looking at the mac mini with the i5...

With the mac mini the problem is of course its a little pricey and also the new ones can no longer be upgraded...i.e the ram is soldered in.
    Older ones were totally upgradeable.
    So I guess im looking to see what others are doing or at the least, which direction I should go in.

And I also know they make media boxes for this purpose but I guess I kind of like the traditional pc route as it can also be used to browse the web/view pics/ etc.
    Thanks!

Ninjaedit- Guess it was kinda long winded lol.

Also wondering what I should run? as this pc will stay on for long periods of time and Id prefer little to 0 maintenance, windows as the primary OS is out. It is bloated and unnecessary.

That is why I figured id just use OSX as it is polished, will work well with PLEX and will make for a nice HTPC.....when I connected my wifes 2013 MacBook pro to test it out, I LOVE that the mac recognized my DENON and changed the font/desktop settings to match my tvs resolution etc.

The new mac minis have HDMI out but the old ones had DVI which I am not fucking with.

I would not be opposed to running Ubuntu or Linux, as I will really only need to play files with VLC.
    Last edited by Ralphie; 12-21-2015, 01:39 PM.

While this isn't quite the question your asking. I use a Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM to play 1080p .MP4's that have 0 stutter issues on a laptop. Basically this laptop is my mobile movie center when traveling. Just copy movies to portable hard drive and watch as time permits.

Now is the problem of streaming them through the PS3 that is causing the issue with the trancoding? Or is this an issue with .MKV. I don't know hardly anything about .MKV as I prefer .MP4 as my container. But really your PC shouldn't have to be transcoding the media to stream it.

I rip and re-encode my own BluRay movies all the time. I'm using .MP4 as the container with H.264 encoding. Keeping the resolution at 1080p with 5000 kbps and 256 bit 5.1 audio. Windows Media Player will play these natively. If I remember correctly the PS3 will as well. The XBox 360 doesn't like these though unless you stream them through Windows Media Center.

Based on my experiences your current hardware should be more than enough to play back movie files. I currently use Windows 7 as a HTPC and have no issues with maintenance been running for about 4 1/2 years solid.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I'm currently using my primary PC as a video server. I have a 25 foot HDMI cable running through the duct located behind my desk, across my basement ceiling, and back up through the duct in the living room next to my 42" AOC TV. I'm running dual monitors normally, so the TV serves as a 3rd monitor whenever it's on and switched to that input.

Occasionally the computer won't recognize the TV unless I restart. Videos will be choppy if I'm running too much (like my current Chrome session with about 20 open tabs...) But usually, it runs flawlessly. I can control the screen via a wireless touchpad keyboard if I choose to (though I usually just hop up and hit the space bar at my desk when I want to pause the video... my house is tiny, if you recall! )

My PC is a mid-level Lenovo that I bought from Best Buy years ago (remember when you were going to give me your video card? then.) Running an Intel Core i3 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 8gb of RAM, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.

I'd say if my system can handle my daily abuse AND video streaming, any system you build with even a modest budget today should be up to the task without any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
        While this isn't quite the question your asking. I use a Core 2 Duo with 4GB of RAM to play 1080p .MP4's that have 0 stutter issues on a laptop. Basically this laptop is my mobile movie center when traveling. Just copy movies to portable hard drive and watch as time permits.

Now is the problem of streaming them through the PS3 that is causing the issue with the trancoding? Or is this an issue with .MKV. I don't know hardly anything about .MKV as I prefer .MP4 as my container. But really your PC shouldn't have to be transcoding the media to stream it.

I rip and re-encode my own BluRay movies all the time. I'm using .MP4 as the container with H.264 encoding. Keeping the resolution at 1080p with 5000 kbps and 256 bit 5.1 audio. Windows Media Player will play these natively. If I remember correctly the PS3 will as well. The XBox 360 doesn't like these though unless you stream them through Windows Media Center.

Based on my experiences your current hardware should be more than enough to play back movie files. I currently use Windows 7 as a HTPC and have no issues with maintenance been running for about 4 1/2 years solid.
        So then maybe my problem is the fucking container. I could care less what container it's in, I just happen to collect mostly mkv(if you haven't figured it out yet, these are illegally acquired)

This the thing....my pc will play the files fine....sometimes though it's a little off....probably if the processor is maxed idk...

Streaming never worked no matter what I did.

I'm thinking connecting via hdmi is better then streaming wirelessly anyway because it's the source straight through but maybe it doesn't matter. Also a direct connection is easier to troubleshoot then including the wireless network.

I wish I knew someone with a Mac Mini that I could borrow to test out before buying lol.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        I'm currently using my primary PC as a video server. I have a 25 foot HDMI cable running through the duct located behind my desk, across my basement ceiling, and back up through the duct in the living room next to my 42" AOC TV. I'm running dual monitors normally, so the TV serves as a 3rd monitor whenever it's on and switched to that input.

Occasionally the computer won't recognize the TV unless I restart. Videos will be choppy if I'm running too much (like my current Chrome session with about 20 open tabs...) But usually, it runs flawlessly. I can control the screen via a wireless touchpad keyboard if I choose to (though I usually just hop up and hit the space bar at my desk when I want to pause the video... my house is tiny, if you recall! )

My PC is a mid-level Lenovo that I bought from Best Buy years ago (remember when you were going to give me your video card? then.) Running an Intel Core i3 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 8gb of RAM, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit.

I'd say if my system can handle my daily abuse AND video streaming, any system you build with even a modest budget today should be up to the task without any issues.
        Yea I'm just trying to figure out most cost economical and strongest system on a budget. I just really want to avoid picking something up and then having issues down the road.

I would build one but it wasn't as cheap as I thought.

Comment

What's your budget? And what sort of wiring are you able to run? If you can hard-wire everything, and not have to send anything over a wireless network, your quality will be much better (I tried the whole wireless thing with my xbox360 and ps4... and I'm over it.)

Your best bet would probably be to pick up a cheap used or off-lease refurbished computer, and modify it as necessary. You should be able to pick up something at least as good as what I'm running for a good price. I paid $600 new for my system from overpriced Best Buy! Its equivalent today would likely go for $200 or less.

Another thing that I'm very interested in is the Raspberry Pi. I'm getting one for Christmas, so I'll have some firsthand experience with it soon. They're not terribly powerful little machines, but they're cheap, and they're efficient. People do use them for video streaming. I plan to use mine for emulation. I'll mess with it as a video streaming device and I'll let you know how it works.

Comment

I use a raspberry pi Model b as my main HTPC, now that i have optimised it it is flawless. get a pi2 and connect it to your nas or whatver storage you use. $50 ish total for a completed htpc
            sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

There ya go!

Good, now I know who I can call on when I try to set up my own!

Comment

Oh lord, my inbox is going to be full in no time!! Haha.

4 pieces of advice, I've done this for about two years.
                1. Use openelec RPI build.
                2. Over clock everything by about 300, use a heatsink!
                3. Make sure power supply is at leat 1ah/ 1000mah
                4. Move the image file storage (DVD cover art etc) from original location (SD card) to a USB connected external hard drive. Increases browsing speed dramatically.

Its not hard to do. Highly reccomend doing it. Mines been going for ages, needs to be restarted every now and again due to age ( I damaged it slightly by over clocking too far, whoops )

Read here: not a walkthrough but an explanation. I forgot the raspberry pi deletes SD card stuff when it crashes, because I did this ages ago. http://openelec.tv/forum/124-raspber...c-on-usb-stick
                Last edited by lbus9168; 12-22-2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Well my question with the pi is-

is it just a way to serve media?

I don't want to transcode but having the ability to do it is nice.

Basically what can the pi do?

With a mac mini or mini pc, it does everything a desktop can do because its a pc....

From my knowledge the raspberry pi can do as much or as little as you're willing to set it up to do, I just don't know if it will do everything I need it to do.

Comment

Why do you need a PC interface for a htpc? By transcoding, do you mean on-the-fky converting if media to play it?

It looks justblike an expanded Version of xbmc/Kodi. Excellent for media usage, but if you want a complete computer look elsewhere

Yes, it can do anything, but it doesn't do it well.

If you want a computer as well I'd say separate The two, rather than trying to get an all in one.

The pi as a htpc is also the most user friendly setup to navigate. This is how my setup looks (different media though, this is just a google image)

Comment

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4581#ov

Done.

Comment

Look into Intel NUC's as well. Similar to what Raf posted just a little less modular. We are using them now at work. Although we get the business model with the TPM chip to encrypt the storage. The users love them and the foot print is minimal.
                        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

The Intel and Gigabyte mini-PCs look like great options for a small Windows-based machine. A bit pricey compared to the Pi, though! $150-$300+ for the box alone.

I'm a fan of the Pi (at least until I actually get my hands on one to have a concrete firsthand opinion). I like the fact that a full home entertainment system can be built on one for $100 or so. It'll play videos in decent quality, and it's capable of running video game emulators through the PS1.

Comment

Has anyone tried one of these yet?

http://www.amazon.com/CX-919-RK3188-.../dp/B00CRTCTVA

Comment

Ya I don't think the PI is for me, I might also want to browse the net etc and what I am also looking at doing is being able to download right to the HTPC so I do not have to transfer media to it or stream from another source...

And I was looking at the Gigabit and NUC systems, and they are exactly what I need but after you factor in RAM and an SSD, I might as well get a gently used MAC Mini.

Comment

Working...
                              X