Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Will a Pacesetter header fit a OEM EX downpipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will a Pacesetter header fit a OEM EX downpipe?

My friends and I got lucky and found a Pacesetter header on a CB7 at Pick'n'Pull earlier today, but we left the matching down pipe, due to a lack of funds. MY questions is, will the PS header and the OEM down pipe mate up correctly? I know the Pacesetter uses a one piece flat gasket, the OEM header and down pipe use two 'O' gaskets. If not, then I need to find a new down pipe. :rolls eyes:

VTEC by birth, not be choice.

Andy's Auto Sport: Comptech Battery Tie Down, "It will look so trick that your car will think it has more horsepower!"

DumbleDore!'s CG
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199312

Which pick n pull? Whats the flange to the downpipe look like?
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=197065

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

i am not sure if its gonna fit, but even if it does its gonna leak horrendously.
      i would recommend save up and get the matching DP.
      but that also will probably leak lol.

Comment

It will likely leak. The Pacesetter header isn't known for being top quality anyway, and the gains from a full brand new one would be minimal. The upper half alone, mated to the A6 lower half (or is it an A4? I love when people don't say what engine they have...) would likely do nothing at all. Aside from leak.

Comment

I’ve owned two Pacesetter headers and they are worth about what you pay for them, about $250 IIRC. They are not as cheap as eBay headers as they do have a lot better welds but they do have a similar design. Honestly someone just wanting a header, it would be better to go Pacesetter than EBay from a quality stand point. But then for $100 more you can have a DC.

But all in all none of them are that great. IMO the performance is all about the same. The only thing that changes is quality of craftsmanship and quality of materials.

Comment

^ Your Pace Setter you have in your shop off the green and purple CB looks alot like an ebay header but its alot heavier and the flanges are huge. The tubes and everything is the same size or almost as an ebay though.

Comment

Pretty much any header you can get for the CB, aside from Bisimoto, will have the same general design. The higher the price, the better the materials and craftsmanship, and some will be CARB exempt (which only matters in California... it causes the prices to skyrocket for parts comparable to non-CARB exempt parts in every other way.)

If you want to see the minimal gains you could get from that Pacesetter header, I'd go back for the lower half.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                Pretty much any header you can get for the CB, aside from Bisimoto, will have the same general design. The higher the price, the better the materials and craftsmanship, and some will be CARB exempt (which only matters in California... it causes the prices to skyrocket for parts comparable to non-CARB exempt parts in every other way.)

If you want to see the minimal gains you could get from that Pacesetter header, I'd go back for the lower half.
                Like the CARB legal Flowtech Holley made (or used to at least) that had the optional purple coating. Ive only seen it on AAS here recently. It was or is around the $400 range IIRC.

EDIT: I hate AAS but here it is. Not a purple one in the pic anymore. http://www.andysautosport.com/honda/...ders/flowtech/

Comment

I've never seen the purple before! I believe HotShot used to be blue (maybe still are...)

But yeah, there's really nothing different between that and a cheaper header, aside from the CARB exemption... which is expensive, and necessary if you want to legally modify your car in California.

Comment

Nevermind, your right they are blue. You have a good memory. This is the Flowtech.

I must have been thinking of these which are also Flowtech that Im looking at for my S10.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 01-25-2013, 06:20 PM.

Comment

We were at the Pick'n'Pull in Antelope, CA. The motor is an F22A6. The header is 70-1251. I know that the header isn't gonna make too much of a difference, but it has better flow and it's much lighter. The car is an EX, so it has a 4-2-1 setup. I believe the flanges will match, i'm just wondering about the gaskets. I'm sure if the "O"s leak, I can just use the one piece. We should be putting it in tomorrow, as long as my buddy finishes polishing it tonight. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. Along with detailed pics. That's my biggest peeve on here, people who don't follow up or include pictures. We paid $40 for the header, so if it doesn't fit, I'll resell it. Not much of a loss. Also, don't decent+ headers add a deeper exhaust tone? Or am I mistaken? Either way, I'll keep you all posted. Thanks for the replies.

Andy's Auto Sport: Comptech Battery Tie Down, "It will look so trick that your car will think it has more horsepower!"

DumbleDore!'s CG

Comment

Also, does anyone happen to have a picture of the down pipe flange on the header? That would most likely solve all of my questions.

DumbleDore!'s CG

Comment

The Pacesetter header comes with a copper gasket where the header meets the down pipe. Like this except copper.

Here is a pic from my oil pan gasket replacement DIY on my F22A4. In order to remove the oil pan you have to unbolt the header and cross member. The F22A4 uses a completely different style of gasket even though the flange design is close to an eBay or Pacesetter header. It’s like a crush ring.

I don’t know if your idea will work, it might if the holes line up but if it does how long is the question. It will most likely leak.

Also the F22A4 comes factory with a tubular "manifold". I put that in quotations because it’s practically a header. IMO as long as you don’t have a lot of mods, there isn’t a point in adding an aftermarket header to an F22A4. Some people with the A1 and A6 get the F22A4 manifold as an upgrade.

Like Deev said your best bet is to get the PS downpipe from the JY. Either way enjoy it, it should be fun. Let us know what you do and how it turns out.

Comment

The Pacesetter header comes with a copper gasket where the header meets the down pipe. Like this except copper.

Here is an F22A6 exhaust manifold and downpipe I have had for a while.

Here is a pic from my oil pan gasket replacement DIY on my F22A4. In order to remove the oil pan you have to unbolt the header and cross member. The F22A4/A6 uses a completely different style of gasket even though the flange design is close to an eBay or Pacesetter header. It’s like crush rings.

I don’t know if your idea will work, it might if the holes line up but if it does how long is the question. It will most likely leak.

Also the F22A4 comes factory with a tubular "manifold". I put that in quotations because it’s practically a header. IMO as long as you don’t have a lot of mods, there isn’t a point in adding an aftermarket header to an F22A4. Some people with the A1 and A6 get the F22A4 manifold as an upgrade.

Comment

I do have the one piece gasket that came with the Pacesetter, will that work in place of the o rings?

DumbleDore!'s CG

Comment

Working...
                              X