Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Building an h22 with an f22 block?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miho1269, but I've answered this question literally dozens of times on this forum. PR CB7 and 98vtec are always there to argue me.
    You just admitted to reading those things already... which is good. But what makes you think the answer is going to be any different for you?
    There is even a "sticky" thread that goes into all the details of this exact question.
    The only knowledge we know you have is the knowledge you share with us. When all you say is "would it be possible to build an H22 with an F22 block", we can only assume that 1) you've done little research, and 2) you aren't terribly familiar with engine building.

You wanted answers, and you got them.

Originally posted by 98vtec View Post
    The way deev sees things, if you have to post about something, that makes you in capable and shouldnt attempt it.

Hell if i listened to him, i would have never had the first ever 11 sec all motor 5th gen prelude and i definitely would have never been the fastest documented all motor prelude. If these posts from these guys put doubt in your head, then you may not be ready to tackle this. If it motivates you even more, then get to work and be prepared for the worst.
    I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell people how I "see things"... especially when you have missed the point of what I said entirely.
    My point is that if you have to post a thread asking if it can be done, and asking how to do it from the very start of the project, the chances are very slim that you'll succeed.
    I don't discourage creativity. I don't discourage risks, under the right circumstances. Bur our hobbies also involve our primary sources of transportation (for some, anyway.) That means careless advice can result in someone blowing up their only way to work.
    Tell me if I'm correct in my assumptions here:
    You, like Oscar, have probably never made a "can you show me how to do it from step one?" thread such as this. You went into the project with knowledge. You prepared yourself with research. You asked questions mid-project, stating what you have already learned as it applies to the project. You asked questions about a specific portion of the project, not simply "can it be done", "how do I do it", or "can you tell me everything I need to do this?"

The part I highlighted is absolutely true. I intentionally present ONLY the bad sides of such a swap. if someone has the knowledge to explain how they plan to overcome the bad sides, and explain why it's a good idea to pursue the project, then they might have a shot at actually pulling it off.

I know I've gotten myself in over my head in the past, going solely on the success (sometimes the short lived success) of forum members, and their enthusiasm. They did it, so why can't I? Well, for one, they had plenty of experience. They also had the money, spare cars, spare parts, or no desperate need for their car (all things I did not have.) I was fortunate to never cripple my daily driver for this reason... but a botched headswap done by a guy who has no spare car and no spare motor can be a catastrophe.
    I've learned in my time on the forums that if 10 people politely present the negatives, and one enthusiastic member says it'll be fine... people listen to that one enthusiastic member, because that's what they want to hear.
    However, if you club them over the head with the negatives, it makes them think.

I've never had a person make a thread like this and have the knowledge ready to argue each and every point I've made to the point where they display at least some level of competence in such things. I have also never had a thread where I've clubbed someone over the head with the negative aspects of such a headswap PM me a few weeks later to say "you were right, I shouldn't have done that." Why? Because I'm pretty sure after reading my points, most people don't do it!

As I've said, if it's a project car... a toy... and you have the time and money to spare... go for it. Have a blast. But if you need the car to get to school, work, or grandma's house for milk and cookies... don't risk it. Buy a full H22A and swap it in. It's MUCH harder to mess that up, and the results will be better. The process is documented very clearly on this site, as well as a few others, and it's no more difficult than following the steps.
    Then, when the H22A is in, take a wrench to that F22A. Tear it apart. Learn how it works. Rebuild it, modify it, whatever... It's a spare. Something to play with. Something to learn on. If you complete it and want to try it out, you can swap out the H22A. If your efforts result in a F22A-shaped grenade under your hood, so what. Just put the H22A back in and do it again!

Comment

Originally posted by Loviotor View Post
      That is exactly what this forum is for... However, common sense does come into play and there is a lot of information regarding what you asked if you actually search and read the information included in the posts regarding swaps.

I read through every post in your thread, and don't understand why you would feel like a jackass for the answers that people gave you... They're trying to be helpful and answer your question as fully as possible.

Just doing a cursory search and looking through the threads it brought up, I came across these:
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194935
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194365

and this gem about Frankenstein builds:
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187140
      What am i supposed to do with the first two threads? the first one is about a header the 2nd one is about putting an f head on an h block which is opposite of what i want to do???

Comment

Those are the primary threads that showed up (aside from yours) when I entered your question in the search thread... The main one that I wanted to make sure was there is the frankenstein thread. It goes into a lot of detail.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Miho1269, but I've answered this question literally dozens of times on this forum. PR CB7 and 98vtec are always there to argue me.
          You just admitted to reading those things already... which is good. But what makes you think the answer is going to be any different for you?
          There is even a "sticky" thread that goes into all the details of this exact question.
          The only knowledge we know you have is the knowledge you share with us. When all you say is "would it be possible to build an H22 with an F22 block", we can only assume that 1) you've done little research, and 2) you aren't terribly familiar with engine building.

You wanted answers, and you got them.

As I've said, if it's a project car... a toy... and you have the time and money to spare... go for it. Have a blast. But if you need the car to get to school, work, or grandma's house for milk and cookies... don't risk it. Buy a full H22A and swap it in. It's MUCH harder to mess that up, and the results will be better. The process is documented very clearly on this site, as well as a few others, and it's no more difficult than following the steps.
          Then, when the H22A is in, take a wrench to that F22A. Tear it apart. Learn how it works. Rebuild it, modify it, whatever... It's a spare. Something to play with. Something to learn on. If you complete it and want to try it out, you can swap out the H22A. If your efforts result in a F22A-shaped grenade under your hood, so what. Just put the H22A back in and do it again!
          Thanks for your input. I'm saving for the h22 swap.

Comment

Those are the primary threads that showed up (aside from yours) when I entered your question in the search thread... The main one that I wanted to make sure was there is the frankenstein thread. It goes into a lot of detail.
            That frankenstein thread is the "sticky" I mentioned. It's stuck right at the top of the swaps section, for all to see.

The other two really don't apply to this at all.

Comment

Thanks for the link when i had first looked into it i had missed the link inside it that lead me to all the dimensions of the h/f motors and could have possibly stopped me from starting this thread but atleast its here now for anyone with the same question.

Comment

Originally posted by Miho1269 View Post
                Thanks for the link when i had first looked into it i had missed the link inside it that lead me to all the dimensions of the h/f motors and could have possibly stopped me from starting this thread but atleast its here now for anyone with the same question.
                It's no problem, I'd missed the link in deevergote's post, as well...

Comment

Working...
                X