Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

HELP!! my 90 accord only can shift into 4th gear,grinding noise from tranny and smoke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!! my 90 accord only can shift into 4th gear,grinding noise from tranny and smoke

I bought a 90 accord 2 days ago, it is 5spd, the seller said that he just had the clutch changed. i only drove the car for 20 miles then it started smoke from the tranny from the open hole where you can see the flywheel close to the engine code. while this happen, i lost 1st gear, i cant shift into the 1st even the car is off. i tried to take off with 2nd gear after i while it wouldn't go into any gear except 4th gear from the shifter still even when the car is off so i got the car towed home. and find out when the shifter is on neutral and feel like loose like neutral when i release the clutch the car seems on either 2nd or 3rd gear which will stall.

has anybody had this problem? is my tranny broken or the clutch installed wrong? the smoke smells like oil burn do you guys think the rear main seal is leaking bad?

Have you check the fluid level in the tranny ?

A man that keeps looking back can't see whats in front of him.

Comment

Originally posted by stretch JDM View Post
      Have you check the fluid level in the tranny ?
      Yep. Check your tranny fluid, both level and... "okay-ness." A burning smell... could be the clutch burning up? Could be oil leaking from the seal you mentioned and burning on the clutch? Could be the throw-out bearing toasting, which would explain the grinding, but not exactly the odd (and consistent, you made it sound) shifting issues.

A week after I bought my CB7, I drove it about 100 miles without knowing it had a transmission leak. I could tell something was wrong, shifting was becoming more and more difficult and I could tell the transmission just wasn't running as smoothly. I was literally attempting to change the fluid when my trans locked up. The fill plug was siezed on and I didn't have the proper tools to remove it, so I set out for my folks' garage to get the job done (10 miles tops). I made it two blocks, and the fifth gear needle bearing blew right as I shifted into first after a red->green light change. Symptoms were: I could shift into every gear but fifth, but when in any gear, the trans was locked. The engine would appear to stall regardless of ratio selection. (I say appear, because I didn't know the issue at the time. After changing the trans fluid right there on a side street and doing some research, I realized what had likely occurred and tried to make it back the two blocks home using only the clutch and 5th. Suffice it to say, that didn't go very well and I got it towed instead.)

Here are some pics of my teardown/repair. https://picasaweb.google.com/1045915...9/Transmission

Comment

you blew the tranny or bent the arms in the transmission
        i blew my tranny once racing a rsx i shifted into 3rd and boooooommm!!!!!!! grindddddddddddd and my wheels locked up so i pulled hard as hell and ripped it out of gear i only had 1st 2nd and 5th lol the 3rd and 4th where just like neutral

Comment

Originally posted by owner232 View Post
          you blew the tranny or bent the arms in the transmission
          i blew my tranny once racing a rsx i shifted into 3rd and boooooommm!!!!!!! grindddddddddddd and my wheels locked up so i pulled hard as hell and ripped it out of gear i only had 1st 2nd and 5th lol the 3rd and 4th where just like neutral
          Is it possible his shift or select cables are going / have gone, and the smoke from the bell housing is coincidental (or maybe even a symptom due to excessive wear or such)?

Comment

+1 blown trans same thing happened to my cd5 had to drive 15 miles in 2nd gear cuz it was all i had.

Comment

i did take off the fill bolt and there is oil leak out so assume the oil is fine.
              could it be a shift linkage problem? how do i check that? but since the tranny is making noise and smokes i think it is more than just the linkage right?

Comment

Sounds like a pressure plate and clutch related issue to me.

02 Crv
                02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

From the sound of it Id guess you have more than just one problem. Take it to a shop and have them diagnose it. Some shops do it for free and some charge very little.

The reason I say to do this is because all the problems your having right after someone replaced the transmission is a red flag that someone did the work that didnt know what they were doing or did a whizz bang job. A shop might be able to tell whats wrong just by looking under the car for a few seconds. I say this because the problems you have should be identified easily by someone who knows what they are doing.

Comment

i was looking at the 2 shift cables where goes to the tranny when i move the shifter it moves and try to push into gears but seems the tranny doesnt want let it go in to the gears after i played a while now it is stuck on 4th, i cant take it out on neutral or other gear either.
                    my question is if the clutch is bad, should it be able to put into gears when the car is off, i remember that i took a civic tranny off and i can use a screw driver shift to any gears. i think my tranny might be damaged as well.

Comment

Originally posted by waltershui View Post
                      i was looking at the 2 shift cables where goes to the tranny when i move the shifter it moves and try to push into gears but seems the tranny doesnt want let it go in to the gears after i played a while now it is stuck on 4th, i cant take it out on neutral or other gear either.
                      my question is if the clutch is bad, should it be able to put into gears when the car is off, i remember that i took a civic tranny off and i can use a screw driver shift to any gears. i think my tranny might be damaged as well.
                      it goes into gear with clutch out when cars off?
                      Originally posted by deevergote
                      This thread is over a year old, you fucking retard.
                      i dont know why this popped up but U MAD BRO? not my fault u is FAKE! CLOWN ASS

Comment

Working...
                      X