Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Foam and condensation on my oil cap and inside my valve cover.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White Foam and condensation on my oil cap and inside my valve cover.

Like the title says, I have water in my valve cover and on my oil cap. Not really any in my oil. Some days it's really bad but lately since I changed my pcv it's been better but still present.

Also my coolant is disappearing and the car will overheat if water is not added every couple of days.

The engine has been rebuilt, and it has just as much power as it always had. It is very clean on the inside but the head gasket could be blown from it getting to hot a couple of times. Do head gaskets blow in-between the coolant and oil passages but not the cylinders? I have no smoke at all.

So is there anything else that could cause this besides a blown head gasket or a warped/cracked head?

Also, I've noticed steam coming out of my reservoir cap, I changed it and it still does it.
    Last edited by Cblove; 10-22-2012, 02:51 PM.

blown head gasket. all those things you describe point to a warped/cracked head or a blown head gasket
    visit vgruk

Comment

what he said^^^^

Comment

depends how much of it is there. Can you post a pic?

Sometimes if you live in extreme climate zones you'll get a little build up in there from condensation too. Especially on an older car.

My CB had some when I bought it, but still had compression in the 170's across all cylinders. No fluids leaked, nothing to that effect at all. No other signs of bad gasket. And I boosted that motor and drove it until the ringlands let go at about 22psi on a MHI-16g turbo.

When I pulled it apart the gasket really didn't show any irregular signs of wear, and appeared to be in generally good condition. I got the impression it was newer. After asking around, a few of my friends had heard of it. In NE it swings from -20 actual temps -30+ with wind chills(occasionally this cold), to 110 in the summer(occasionally this hot).

However, theres been about a dozen times in my life that shit under the oil cap has also been a sure shot give away that the gasket shit the bed.

Hows the car running? Can you do a compression test? Is it burning fluids? Fluids mixing at all?

If the gasket is bad there are other signs that will come with the white shit under the oil cap.
        Originally posted by wed3k
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

my head was warped when we changed my timing belt had no problems before and we just torqued it down even more in the middle had no problems after that either.
          MRTvvv
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193522

Comment

Originally posted by 92a6 View Post
            my head was warped when we changed my timing belt had no problems before and we just torqued it down even more in the middle had no problems after that either.
            If your cylinder head is known to be warped, and you put it back on anyways its probably your head gasket.

Sorry to hear it man.
            Originally posted by wed3k
            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Yes the car runs fine, it doesn't smoke. Water disappears though, but could be from a hose. This is the kicker there is no water in the oil. Only on the cap and in the valve cover. I mean a lot of foam. I cleaned it all up, and it replaced the PCV and now there really isn't much there anymore, so I can't post a pic showing the severity it used to be. But generally there’s a bit of foam. I clean it off everyday.

I will pull the valve cover off anyway to see if there is any worth showing. But it did seam to start happening when the fall like weather moved in and it got more humid. I’m in Oklahoma, very extreme temperature fluctuations here. It will be 85 Thursday, then 55 Friday.

But I tell you there was an ungodly amount of foam. It's still driven daily. I don't have a compression tester. Do they rent them at auto parts stores?

I just got a 93 ex, so this one is close to being put to rest until I can really assess the situation.

But damn all CB's need fucking work!

Also I’m about to hit 240000! But the engine is not original, it’s got about 75000. AS you can tell I'm clinging to whatever hope I can get.... At least until feb.

Comment

yes auto part stores rent them.

and yes it most likely is your headgasket. If you think its a hose it would leak it on the floor. from what you explained, it doesnt sound like its leaking.

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
                Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
                Originally posted by bmxicansd
                so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

Comment

My engine has condensation on the oil cap, it's normal especially if said car sit's for awhile without being drove or in colder humid climate's as toy said. I would recommend a leak down since you say the coolant is disappearing.

02 Crv
                  02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                  92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                  Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

When was the last time the oil was changed?

Comment

Working...
                    X