Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

First Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Car

Hello All,
    I got a 1990 Accord; it's my first car. It's in pretty good shape, no rust, 130k miles. It is, however, an automatic

I really don't want to go overboard on mods as I use it simply for city driving and occasional interstate driving. One thing I do want to improve is handling. What is the cheapest, simplest method of getting this done?

Thanks,
    Chris

Suspension, strut bars and such. Basicalyl anything that reinforces the chassis. Some good tires will benefit this too.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

How much money is involved in "cheap?" If you do it yourself, provided you have access all the tools necessary, a new set of shocks (non-adjustable) can be had for as little as US$160 (KYB GR-2); for around US$300, you can have a reasonably good set of adjustables. Add another US$300, and you can lower the car (springs and front camber kit).

Of course, the first step is to insure that everything is in good running condition. Pull off those wheels, and check the brakes. Inspect the ball joints for cracks, and feel for slop. If you need to replace the upper balls, think ahead, and get yourself an adjustable from Moog or Ingalls. Finally, don't forget about those alignments.
      Michael

Comment

I've checked the ball joints and they're basically brand new. I've also redone the brakes all the way around.

Cheap conists of <$350 total.

I am going to get new tires as soon as I get new rims (not included in above budget). I'm looking at 93 Accord EX rims.

Thanks for your help,
        Chris

Comment

Well then just strut bars would be your best bet...That would be cheap and lightenin up the car cheap and easy mods to help your car handle better. Other than that cant think of anything cheaper.

The New-ish Ride
          My old Ride
          Hear my Vtak!!!
          MK3 Member #3
          I piss off people for fun.
          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

A sway bar is your best bet. It is cheap and easy to install. Also some simple suspension and brake work would improve handling. Make sure you check ball joinds and tie rods etc..

Comment

130k thats fine...my cb is my first car also and it had 400K+ on it but hey nothing an engine rebuild wont fix

A & A Auto Service
              Pro-Spec
              TorontoJDM
              "Driven daily, or not at all"

Comment

That shit's mint!

Comment

its clean yo....where u hail from yo??

get some strut bars, springs....and you all goodz in the hoodz....

Comment

If you want something with all-around driveability, then consider a set of Neuspeed Sport Springs (1.75"/1.5") with KYB GR2s; that's roughly $350. When you have some more cash for the car, put a camber kit on the front and get that car aligned. Finally, buy yourself a good set of shocks, and resell those GR2s.

Judging by the picture, I would guess that the car isn't likely to see much snow. As long as the Winter-driving is kept to a minimum, the sport-drop should be a fair compromise. So, there's a three-step plan for lowering your car.
                    Michael

Comment

I am sure you will be very pleased to have this as your first cars. Mine is still my first and is going on 5 years! It still purs just needs a little of cleaning and mine is complete stock!
                      "You are part of a great thing. Live for it, Talk for it and dream for it."
                      "A friend is someone who will be there when the rest of the world walks out on you!"

"People who toy with others hearts...are only unhappy in their own lives."

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                        Suspension, strut bars and such. Basicalyl anything that reinforces the chassis. Some good tires will benefit this too.
                        Are all strut bars created equal? Or does brand name count?

Thanks,
                        Chris

Comment

well most strut bars are the same of cousre the less flexable the better

non adjustable strurt bars would be better.... but I dont know of any one who makes them

dcs has some nice ones you might want to check out

Comment

Originally posted by head4life
                            well most strut bars are the same of cousre the less flexable the better

non adjustable strurt bars would be better.... but I dont know of any one who makes them

dcs has some nice ones you might want to check out
                            Actually, I don't believe DC makes the front bar for the CB anymore...but those bars were known to flex. Word I heard is that the Megan bar is of identical design...whether it's stronger is up in the air.

Personally, I would buy the Neuspeed bar. I have it in my car. It's the non-adjustable 4 point brace people talk about. I absolutely love it in my car and highly recommend it. I know this might not be believeable, but I tested it more than once. When I was on stock suspension with two dead struts up front, I was roughly 12-15 mph faster in a corner than before.

I didn't see that type of gain even after I installed my springs+struts.

The one thing I can't stress enough is to invest money in your suspension and use quality parts.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
                              Actually, I don't believe DC makes the front bar for the CB anymore...but those bars were known to flex. Word I heard is that the Megan bar is of identical design...whether it's stronger is up in the air.

Personally, I would buy the Neuspeed bar. I have it in my car. It's the non-adjustable 4 point brace people talk about. I absolutely love it in my car and highly recommend it. I know this might not be believeable, but I tested it more than once. When I was on stock suspension with two dead struts up front, I was roughly 12-15 mph faster in a corner than before.

I didn't see that type of gain even after I installed my springs+struts.

The one thing I can't stress enough is to invest money in your suspension and use quality parts.
                              hmm I didnt know dcs quit making those for the front.... speaking of strut bars im missing a peice to a ebay adjustable one incase some one has the part it the part that screws in the strut bar a the bracket bolts on it..... i guess I will have to buy anothere one

Comment

Working...
                              X