Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GhostAccord: 2012 Honda Ridgeline VP

My "new-to-me" 2012 Honda Ridgeline

Only had the Truck for 3 days and started ripping into her. No more waiting til the car is old and beat down to modify. Warranty is done so on go the go fast parts!

CAI = 6" x 9" x 5" K&N filter, 6" x 70mm Velocity stack, 70mm aluminum tubing and 70mm MAF housing with DIY adapter plate. Love the sound of an N/A Honda with a CAI! The VTEC V6 is so much better than an I4.

ZDX 70mm throttle body mod w/DIY adapter plate

Ported intake manifold

2.5" Bosal Exhaust

Waiting for my 2.5" Cat and equal length J-Pipe to arrive before I install the exhaust.
    Last edited by GhostAccord; 03-05-2017, 04:18 PM.
    MR Thread
    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Is this the daily driver or what? It looks like we're in the same boat of constantly delayed engine builds, and it doesn't help having a running car that can just as easily be modded. It starts with simple, cheap mods, but pretty soon you'll have TE37s with knobby tires and a Baja-style stance. These things sneak up on you, watch out!

I agree with your other post on yours versus the new model. I've read up on the new one a little bit, and it looks like it'll be much better at serving as a "real pickup truck," but it just doesn't have character like the old model. I don't know, maybe that's just me liking the Avalanche-style way the bed mates to the cab too much. Honda should have kept that. Not to mention, the old one looks so much tougher from every angle.

*ED. - oh, and get a sound clip up once you've got the exhaust on, please. I do love the sound of a 6-cylinder.
    Last edited by CyborgGT; 09-09-2016, 08:30 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

rv6 makes some pretty nice exhaust pieces for the V6 Hondas. I recently read on facebook that Honda of Alabamas race team is shoe horning a 9th gen V6 into a 7th gen body for racing purposes..even going as far as using the 3.7 intake manifold on that V6.
      Henry R
      Koni/Neuspeed
      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
        Is this the daily driver or what? It looks like we're in the same boat of constantly delayed engine builds, and it doesn't help having a running car that can just as easily be modded. It starts with simple, cheap mods, but pretty soon you'll have TE37s with knobby tires and a Baja-style stance. These things sneak up on you, watch out!

I agree with your other post on yours versus the new model. I've read up on the new one a little bit, and it looks like it'll be much better at serving as a "real pickup truck," but it just doesn't have character like the old model. I don't know, maybe that's just me liking the Avalanche-style way the bed mates to the cab too much. Honda should have kept that. Not to mention, the old one looks so much tougher from every angle.

*ED. - oh, and get a sound clip up once you've got the exhaust on, please. I do love the sound of a 6-cylinder.
        Yes this is my new winter beater...lol And out of the box this thing was just screaming for the usual 3 bolt on mods, I H E..... should all be installed next weekend. High flow pre-cats and equal length J-Pipe from RV6-P have been purchased and on the way.

I love that this thing has 19" of clearance with just a set of 18" rims and stock 70 series all season tires. I had it off road today and it was really comfortable and more than capable. I was going to go slammed but off road suits this thing!

I will get a clip up as soon as I get everything installed. Thing sounds narly with just the CAI, 70mm throttle body and ported intake. Can't wait for the full exhaust.

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
        rv6 makes some pretty nice exhaust pieces for the V6 Hondas. I recently read on facebook that Honda of Alabamas race team is shoe horning a 9th gen V6 into a 7th gen body for racing purposes..even going as far as using the 3.7 intake manifold on that V6.
        RV6-P parts are ordered

I love that my 2012 3.5L came with the magnesium intake. It is so much lighter and the volume is actually the same as the aluminum 3.7L intake manifolds. I only had to take 2mm off the throttle body opening and 1mm off the lower spacer and runner openings for it to be the exact same as a 3.7. Cost = $0

Only cost was for a 6" x 6" piece of 5/8" aluminum plate to make my throttle body to manifold adapter plate. $10

As soon as I knew I was buying this truck I spent a solid 24hrs researching the engine and possible mods.
        Last edited by GhostAccord; 09-10-2016, 12:02 AM.
        MR Thread
        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

has anyone done a manual swap on these yet?

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
          01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
          93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
          93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

I have not come across one as of yet.

Be pretty sweet to see if the TL-SH AWD 3.7L & 6spd could be shoehorned in there.
            Last edited by GhostAccord; 09-13-2016, 05:47 PM.
            MR Thread
            GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Very cool! I always loved the Ridgeline. Such an oddball pickup, in a good way.

How much power are you expecting to get out of it?

Comment

Thanks. They are definitely an oddball that's for sure. El Hondo!

To be honest, I'm looking more for throttle response and a better sound up front and out the back. Stock it sounds way too much like an I4. I want to hear the 270 AWD/4x4 hp that it has. If there are any gains to the performance after I finish my mods. They might put it up in the 300-310hp mark?????

Unfortunately we don't have any AWD dyno's around here and I don't think I'll be able to get a time slip this year. Maybe I'll take this and the Accord up to the drag strip next summer and get some slips for them both.
                Last edited by GhostAccord; 09-14-2016, 08:43 PM.
                MR Thread
                GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Doesn't the AWD system cut out around 20mph anyway (or 32kph, I suppose is more appropriate...)? My friend was explaining how the AWD system in his Pilot worked. If I recall, he basically said the rear wheels only get power once the fronts start to slip, and only at low speeds. Most of the time, it just functions like a FWD vehicle. I assume the Ridgeline is running basically the same mechanical bits as the Pilot, right?

Comment

Not 100%, just read that in order to tune these bad boys it is best to put them up on an AWD dyno. I haven't dug into the ins and outs of the AWD / VTM-4 system just yet. I'm not sure if KTuned might have an option to disable the electronic AWD function or not.

20mph sounds a bit low.... I'll have to look into it!

In saying that, I would love to see what this thing could handle AWD/4x4. Maybe give an STi a go!...lol
                    MR Thread
                    GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

VTM-4 Engagement Modes

There are three distinct modes of VTM-4 engagement:

(1) The first mode, called Acceleration Torque Control (ATC), works whenever the vehicle's throttle is depressed, even on dry pavement - a feature unique to the VTM-4 system. Sensors in the engine and transmission monitor vehicle speed and acceleration. The amount of torque applied, as directed by the system's ECU, is determined according to vehicle speed, the amount of acceleration and transmission status (gear setting). This benefits not only the Pilot's ability to gain traction from a standing start, before wheel slip occurs, but also its overall dynamic stability on both dry and slippery roads. Reducing the propulsive force carried by the front tires under acceleration reduced torque steer and cornering adhesion. Rear wheel torque rises smoothly from zero to a preset maximum in proportion to vehicle acceleration (both forward and reverse). During constant-speed driving, all power is driven to the front wheels for improved fuel efficiency.

(2) The second engagement mode occurs when wheel slip is detected. Differences in rotational speed between front and rear wheels are measured by sensors in the ABS system and monitored by the ECU. In response, the ECU commands an increase in torque delivery to the rear wheels. Torque application is adjusted according to the amount and the rate of change in wheel slip. As slip increase, more power is delivered to the rear wheels for improved traction.

(3) The third mode of engagement is VTM-4 Lock. Lock mode occurs when the driver shifts into first, second or reverse gears and depresses the VTM-Lock button on the instrument panel. When lock mode is selected at vehicle speeds below 18-mph, the system ECU commands a preset maximum amount of rear-drive torque to be delivered to the rear wheels for improved traction in very low-speed, low-traction, conditions. As control is regained and vehicle speed increases, the system gradually reduces rear axle torque until it is completely disengaged.

There are times on highway driving in the winter I can tell you that the rear wheels in our Pilot are doing work. It's just when under constant speed with no load changes that it goes into FWD mode.
                      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I assumed it was AWD at launch and under load. I wasn't sure if there was a speed limit or not. But even in that. The only way I have found to put these on a single axle dyno is to pull the VTM-4 fuse. Kind of defeating the purpose of owning an AWD if you don't tune it while running in AWD mode.
                        MR Thread
                        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Nice truck! I always loved the Ridgeline and it is still in the running for a possible future vehicle. I kind of want to have a truck for winter driving and for the ease of use that it affords all year round. Besides, trucks rock.

I do like the way the new one looks but this one obv looks better.

As far as AWD, our 2009 CRV worked that way. Drove like a FWD vehicle all the time until I took it out in snowy weather. If I purposely hit a turn hard and the ass started to drift the wheels would kick in and straighten her out. Was pretty neat and very reassuring. Like before I would ever have been able to react in time, the CRV was on it.

Comment

Ghost I really want to know the result of your exhaust setup. I'm really wanting to do something similar on our Pilot. The warranty is almost gone so I figure it's time to do a little upgrading on it. Been playing the maintenance game on it since we got it. I think I've finally gotten everything back into shape. I still need to order 4 new shocks but thats all that is left. I've really been looking at the RV6 HFPC's and the equal length J pipe and the other offerings they have. While I can't find a cat back for the Pilot I'm sure I could have something custom made up.

I'd like to know if you feel like you gained a bit more power and also if the throttle response is improved at all. Also how does she sound with the I/H/E? So far our Pilot is totally stock but soon that will be changing.
                            MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                              Nice truck! I always loved the Ridgeline and it is still in the running for a possible future vehicle. I kind of want to have a truck for winter driving and for the ease of use that it affords all year round. Besides, trucks rock.

I do like the way the new one looks but this one obv looks better.

As far as AWD, our 2009 CRV worked that way. Drove like a FWD vehicle all the time until I took it out in snowy weather. If I purposely hit a turn hard and the ass started to drift the wheels would kick in and straighten her out. Was pretty neat and very reassuring. Like before I would ever have been able to react in time, the CRV was on it.
                              Thanks!

Winter driving was the reason for this purchase. I looked at Subaru's and a couple Fords but in the end I opted to get back into a Honda and I love it! After only owning it for a short time. I already know there will be no disappointment this winter. Bring on the snow, this thing is ready to eat it up.

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                              Ghost I really want to know the result of your exhaust setup. I'm really wanting to do something similar on our Pilot. The warranty is almost gone so I figure it's time to do a little upgrading on it. Been playing the maintenance game on it since we got it. I think I've finally gotten everything back into shape. I still need to order 4 new shocks but thats all that is left. I've really been looking at the RV6 HFPC's and the equal length J pipe and the other offerings they have. While I can't find a cat back for the Pilot I'm sure I could have something custom made up.

I'd like to know if you feel like you gained a bit more power and also if the throttle response is improved at all. Also how does she sound with the I/H/E? So far our Pilot is totally stock but soon that will be changing.
                              Well my exhaust install is on hold at the moment. I am having a part order/shipping dispute with a 3rd party vendor that doesn't want to accept my reason for an exchange.

I ordered a Magnaflow 2.5" in and out HF cat from CARiD.com, , part number 23943.

Well Magnaflow shipped out the right box

Unfortunately someone on their end put a 49184 cat in the box and shipped it out. This has a 2.25 in and 2.5 out.

Well that won't work with my 2.5" RV-6 Performance J-Pipe and 2.5" Bosal cat back exhaust.

Just have to drop this picture here...... Just arrived this afternoon!

it is a thing of beauty. Can't wait to order the HFPC's later this fall. RV-6 Perfomance is top notch.

I also ordered some 3.5" Aluminum tubing for an upgraded intake system that I am building. The 3" that I have now is a bit small for the ZDX throttle body. Crazy to say that 3" intake tubing is too small. Stock Ridgeline intake at the air box is even 3.25" ID.

I am so pissed that Magnaflow shipped me the wrong part. I would have had this entire exhaust installed tomorrow if it weren't for them. And they are like...meh We'll get back to you in 24-48 hrs...now it's the weekend. I won't hear anything from them until Monday. Then I still have to ship this POS part back and wait for the new part to come after that....... F#@King PISSED!
                              Last edited by GhostAccord; 09-16-2016, 11:53 PM.
                              MR Thread
                              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X