Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing Intake Manifold to Clean, any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Intake Manifold to Clean, any tips?

I am removing my intake manifold to thoroughly clean it. Am going to change out my rear engine mount also and clean injectors. Read more than a few diy's and have had plenum off before. Pretty sure i got all the gaskets and seals i need. 2 for plenum butterfly plate, im gasket itself, o-rings and seals for fuel injectors, rear engine mount without vacuum(westar brand, still made in china).
    Throttle body gasket in case i need it. I planned on reusing the egr gasket as it is only a year old and the last one i took off seemed fine itself. I plan on taking a few days to do all this. I have replaced the rear horseshoe coolant hose before but there are a few short ones back there i believe. Maybe i should do these also. Can these be gotten in stainless steel?Any tips greatly appreciated.

If you are going to all the effort of taking it off to clean it, I suggest removing the throttle body (need a new gastket) to make cleaning it easier. Get a new o-ring for the idle screw as well. I've had EGR gaskets stick and not come off in one piece, have one on hand just in case. I would also go ahead and replace all the small hoses. I am not aware that any of them are available in stainless steel. Get new seals for the FITV and IACV if you plan to remove them.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      If you are going to all the effort of taking it off to clean it, I suggest removing the throttle body (need a new gastket) to make cleaning it easier. Get a new o-ring for the idle screw as well. I've had EGR gaskets stick and not come off in one piece, have one on hand just in case. I would also go ahead and replace all the small hoses. I am not aware that any of them are available in stainless steel. Get new seals for the FITV and IACV if you plan to remove them.
      Took off the bolt to IM bracket today. Is there anything else while i am under car i should take off or loosen. I seen some spherical device beside the bracket. What is that? Am assuming it is ok to drive car while bracket is loosened.

Comment

The bolt you're talking about is the one toward the back of the manifold at the top of a long bracket from the block? Based on your profile, you have an EX, so I assume you still have the F22A6. The "spherical device"; you mean the black cylinder under the left side of the manifold? That is a vacuum reservoir and solenoid that operates butterflies under the plenum before the intake manifold runners.

You realize that the lower bolts for the manifold to the head aren't very accessible (if at all) from above; you'll have to work from underneath when you go to remove the manifold.
        Last edited by Fleetw00d; 10-02-2018, 11:07 PM.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          The bolt you're talking about is the one toward the back of the manifold at the top of a long bracket from the block? Based on your profile, you have an EX, so I assume you still have the F22A6. The "spherical device"; you mean the black cylinder under the left side of the manifold? That is a vacuum reservoir and solenoid that operates butterflies under the plenum before the intake manifold runners.

You realize that the lower bolts for the manifold to the head aren't very accessible (if at all) from above; you'll have to work from underneath when you go to remove the manifold.
          Sort of thought that about the lower bolts when taking bolt off from bracket. I think ill take those off last. That butterfly plate opens up at like 2500 rpms right? I didn't know it had it's own air reservoir, good to know. Thought it solely worked off engine vacuum. I am wondering also what is best way to get carbon gunk out of IM. I can't do the propane air method. I don't have garage for that. Maybe just oven cleaner or soak the thing overnight in some solvent?

Comment

I'm in the dark how it works as well. I thought it was an electric solenoid. Do you know Fleetwood? Sorry for the derail from your subject.
            My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
            Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
            Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Got some stuff apart and am now trying to find all my hoses to order. There is 7 other hoses down there. Am replacing them all. The water inlet and outlet heater hoses, everything. There is 1 hose where it sais it is discontinued. It is the fast idle control hose. I am ordering online at a honda store but that one is discontinued and no longer for sale. Anyone have any ideals.

Comment

Originally posted by wtfisafleek View Post
                I'm in the dark how it works as well. I thought it was an electric solenoid. Do you know Fleetwood? Sorry for the derail from your subject.
                Basically vacuum secondaries on carburetors but for fuel injected Hondas. Zedj, try Chem Dip and a toothbrush to get carbon off.
                Last edited by F22Chris; 10-04-2018, 08:53 PM.

Comment

If I remember correctly, it is the valve in the lower duct upstream of the filter box that opens at 3500 rpm, otherwise the lower duct is only connected to the resonator in the fender.

The butterfly valves between the plenum and runners opens at 4500 rpm to allow air to feed through the shorter runners (although the longer ones are still open). Their is an electrical solenoid for both; I think the reservoir just serves to smooth the operation. I have one that is in pretty bad shape, maybe I'll cut it open and see what it looks like inside.

As far as cleaning the intake manifold parts; I've used various combinations of brake cleaner, power washer, even wire brushes on both the inside and outside. When I did the H23 manifold for Ruby, I wire brushed the outside then sprayed with stain clear high temperature engine paint to help protect.
                  Last edited by Fleetw00d; 10-04-2018, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X