Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

1991 EX Coupe Stock engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 EX Coupe Stock engine?

I've been wondering on how my car is so damn old, with 250k+ miles. on what i thought to be the original engine was still running.. Since i bought her i knew she was a 1991 EX which stock, come with the A4 model engine. Out of curiosity I check the stamp on the engine where it meets the tranny and I see that F22A1 stamped on there. Now I know that the 1991 EX models come with the A4 but I am confused as to how to verify that it is a swap.. i can't find any VINs on the engine (if there is any). My Accord is the "Pre-Facelift" Version according to Wikipedia. Even though it is a small downgrade from the stock engine i would be very delighted to have the engine swap verified so that i know i still have a few thousand miles left till she starts dying on me. The previous owner (Not First) said that the engine was stock on it so i doubt he knows anything about that.. anyways. my 8th VIN number (Engine code so i've read) is 6. Someone please shed some light on this mystery of mines and get me motivated to dump some cash on my Beaut. Thanks Sorry for any noob questions :P

P.S. I've googled a bunch of times regarding VIN Engine code and such but with no luck.

The fact that it says F22A1 means it is a swap, unless you have a Canadian model (the Canadian EX was the equivalent to the US LX) If it's a Canadian car, it may be the stock engine.
    Of course, the only difference between the F22A1 and F22A4 is the exhaust manifold... so if your manifold looks like 4 tubes, instead of a cast iron blob, then you have the A4 manifold... and the A4's 130hp (well, before losses due to wear and tear...)

If the engine was properly maintained, it could still have PLENTY of life left in it even with 250k miles. Hell, I drive a 2009 Fit every day with 270k on the odometer (and counting... quickly!) As long as Honda engines are maintained at least at the bare minimum level, they can last a VERY long time.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostlow View Post
      I've been wondering on how my car is so damn old, with 250k+ miles. on what i thought to be the original engine was still running.. Since i bought her i knew she was a 1991 EX which stock, come with the A4 model engine. Out of curiosity I check the stamp on the engine where it meets the tranny and I see that F22A1 stamped on there. Now I know that the 1991 EX models come with the A4 but I am confused as to how to verify that it is a swap.. i can't find any VINs on the engine (if there is any). My Accord is the "Pre-Facelift" Version according to Wikipedia. Even though it is a small downgrade from the stock engine i would be very delighted to have the engine swap verified so that i know i still have a few thousand miles left till she starts dying on me. The previous owner (Not First) said that the engine was stock on it so i doubt he knows anything about that.. anyways. my 8th VIN number (Engine code so i've read) is 6. Someone please shed some light on this mystery of mines and get me motivated to dump some cash on my Beaut. Thanks Sorry for any noob questions :P

P.S. I've googled a bunch of times regarding VIN Engine code and such but with no luck.
      You are correct, it is a swap if I'm not mistaken, only the DX & LX came with the A1. Not to be the person with bad news but technically if the engine is swapped doesn't really guarantee less mileage as the engine could had very well came from a '90 accord with an A1. As for the Vin my 8th number is a 7, not sure what it means lol but thought I'd share and I have a 92 EX coupe with an A6

Plus what Deev said lol Honda engines last forever with good maintance
      Last edited by ErMMaC; 08-14-2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback... almost 100% sure my car isn't canadian. and well yea it's 4 independent tubes. I agree with the higher mileage thing but lets just hope it was a rebuild! ill just keep truckin' then till i see blue smoke in my rear view. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
        X