Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Battery Dying, autozone says its good??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JBradley500 View Post
    Don't disconnect the battery when the engine is running.
    would you care to elaborate why not...................

my new turbo build

Comment

ill just post a link

http://www.troubleshooters.com/dont_...ct_battery.htm
      '94 CD5 EX F22B1 Automatic

Comment

you should fix the broken ground wire and have a auto parts store check your charging system like vatozone or o'reilly but my guess is alternator

Comment

Originally posted by zodiak View Post
          you should fix the broken ground wire and have a auto parts store check your charging system like vatozone or o'reilly but my guess is alternator
          that could also be the problem, from my experience, someone please correct me if im wrong, ground wires should be relatively short. if you got a ground running from your battery to the firewall, trhat seems a bit too long to me. i know my cb7 came with an additional ground to the one installed by manufacturer, and the additional one is grounded right below where the hood would sit, just before you get access to the fender. if your going to make a new ground, make sure you sand the area well, no paint or residue, just bare metal and then tap into it

and just as a safety precaution, i would not leave loose wires laying around the engine bay or anywhere for that matter, especially if they are connected to a main power source like your battery
          Everyday is one day closer to completing my cb7 <3

Comment

Thanks for all the input, battery is completely dead, on Monday I'll fix the ground and check the cables, it's wierd because the car wasn't moved, no alarm system and it still died. I'll take it back to autozone to recharge then I'll get back to you guys...thanks though I'll try most of what u guys said

view my ride: My Ride

Comment

Originally posted by crazymikey View Post
              Does your battery light on the dash come on while the car is running?

Sounds like your alt is not charging and the car is just running off the battery and the constant starting/stopping and running with any accessories on is killing the battery.
              No sir no battery light comes on, I don't think it's the alt, because I've jump started the car and ran it a few miles and the car never died, it ran fine but the battery wouldn't hold charge....

Comment

by any chance do you have the sagging glove box door problem like most of the people here? If i remember correctly theres a light in there that stays on because of the sagging door. That could possible be draining your battery if it's constantly lit and left unchecked.
                Last edited by Leung; 01-29-2012, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                  by any chance do you have the sagging glove box door problem like most of the people here? If i remember correctly theres a light in there that stays on because of the sagging door. That could possible be draining your battery if it's constantly lit and left unchecked.

that's only on when your headlights are on. i believe.

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
                    start car.while running unhook battery.if car stays running than the battery is bad.if car dies then alt is bad.
                    so no matter what you lose?

Comment

The battery going dead from sitting would be caused by something staying on that shouldn't, or a short circuit. To find a short you will need either a multi meter with a dc amp setting, or a short circuit tester. Either way will involve chasing wires in the harness and can be very time consuming, especially if you aren't familar with automotive wiring circuits and how they function. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Leung View Post
                        That light is only on when your lights are turn on. In the morning, when all lights are turned off, that light never goes on. I wouldn't think that is the cause.

Comment

I see suggestions but I think if you have gotten it fixed by now, I would charm a few suggestions in:
                          There would only be 3 big reasons why your battery is dead overnight given that all lights and accessories are off. First thing I would do is buy a cheap voltmeter. It does wonder when you are suspecting the alternator.
                          Here we go:
                          Reason 1: Bad battery.
                          Just b/c the battery gives you 12 volt does not mean it's good enough to start your car. However, it would help to make sure that it has 12V to start with. Autozone does have the charger and the load tester. They need to first charge the battery, then do a load test to see if the battery can hold up load when cranking. Very important.

Reason 2: Bad Alternator.
                          Here comes the volt meter again. When the car is running, put the voltmeter on the battery and it should read any where from 13.6V-14.6V. If it reads less than 13V or way above like 16V, then the alternator has a bad regulator. Now a faulty regulator can gives you a good alternator when taken to autozone but your car internal battery light will go on. Autozone can test the well being of your alternator by looking at the diodes function. This is what happened to my alternator. The dash battery light goes on but Autozone says the diodes are working good and shows no signs of a bad alternator. My voltmeter tells me it's reading 14.4V so it's doing good. So I bought a used Denso and take the regulator out and replace on my current one without removing it from the car. At the same time I replace the brush kit as well. It's been running fine for over a year now. Now the 2nd time I test my battery at Autozone and it says my battery was bad. Given the battery was old, I bought a new one from Costco for $70. Now to think of it the battery was not bad at all b/c it started my car fine and my stereo ran good too.

Reason 3: There's a short in your car.
                          Here's comes the voltmeter again. But this time you want to use it as an amp meter. With the car off, put the amp meter on each of the compartment on your fuse box to ground and see which part of the fuse is drawing more than 1A. It should be almost no current draw. The car computer and accessories off should draw way less than an amp. Here, look at this link, it shows you how to test for shorts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjXt7_gusgM

Autozone does not always give you good advice. If you keep bringing back the battery, at the 2nd time, I would check the load test on the battery and alternator test. I can't believe then sent you home saying the battery is good. Costco battery is very good quality and only for $70, unlike equivalent Autozone costing over $200.

Good luck.
                          Last edited by Bad_dude; 02-03-2012, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys for everything, so it was that little ground, for some reason its very important. Car runs good now.

Comment

Working...
                            X