Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can IM be checked for leaks by blowing air in there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can IM be checked for leaks by blowing air in there?

Can i check for Intake Manifold leaks the same way i check for exhaust leaks. By taking my shop vac and putting it on blow mode then connect it to the intake right before the Air Filter box. Then i squirt soapy water around and see if i see bubbles. Will this work safely? I don't see why it wouldn't.

It should. Try not to spray on lot on electrical connectors. If you took things like the FITV, IAC, and start valve off the manifold, did you use new seals when you installed them? I've checked whether the FITV or start valve are the issue by putting a piece of electrical tape between them and the plenum to completely block them - if your problem goes away, that part is the culprit.

I had a leak through past my idle screw that I could actually hear! If you've messed a lot with the idle screw, I recommend replacing the o-ring on it.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

it should work, but i dont know if a vac would provide enough pressure to push air past surfaces to show the leaks. does the car run? if it can at least sit and idle youd be better off taking an unlit propane torch and probing around, once the idle changes youve found the leak.

Comment

pressure testing intake systems for boosted cars is a common procedure, where they check using both pressure and vacuum. not sure exactly how they would perform it on an N/A setup but any turbo-aware shop around denver should be able to give you direction.
        Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-06-2018, 11:36 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          It should. Try not to spray on lot on electrical connectors. If you took things like the FITV, IAC, and start valve off the manifold, did you use new seals when you installed them?
          FITV and IACV seals were replaced about a year ago. What is the start valve? Do u mean air boost valve?

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
          it should work, but i dont know if a vac would provide enough pressure to push air past surfaces to show the leaks. does the car run? if it can at least sit and idle youd be better off taking an unlit propane torch and probing around, once the idle changes youve found the leak.
          Car runs fine, idle is a little high. There is still a little leak somewhere that i am determined to find. I guess it scares me a little to use propane or carb cleaner to spray. I have never changed the oring on idle screw though. Maybe i should do that First.

Comment

Ya, I wouldn't use soap and water but don't people use some form of smoke machines? But then you would have to pressurize the system enough to make the seal fail. Agree with the other suggestions though.

Comment

Am going to use propane. It is actually the safest and best method i think after thinking about it. I have to wait till it is not so cold to do it.

Comment

Shops use a smoke machine to blow smoke into the system and look for smoke leaking out of anywhere other than the point of entry, since most a folk dont have access to said machine the shade tree way involves a cigar/cigarrette smoke being blown into a main vacuum hose with you the operator being the one blowing it on there. This method is safer due to not spraying flamable agents into an operating engine bay.
                [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Working...
                X