Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Best way to remove broken lower strut bolt?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to remove broken lower strut bolt?!?!

In the process of trying to remove and replace struts on a 92 LX sedan and while trying to remove the bottom bolt (that goes through the bushing at the bottom of the strut) the head of the bolt broke off. Anyone have this happen to them and how did you go about removing the bolt?? This is really frustrating cause it has me stuck and it's mad sketchy driving around knowing that it could come out at anytime.

Are you replacing the struts? If so, cut the nut off the other end, buy a replacement bolt.
    Originally posted by Mishakol129
    Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

The bolt is stuck pretty bad I feel like even if I'm able to cut the nut off the bolt will still be stuck inside. It seems almost welded it was not going at all when I was trying to get it loose.

Comment

After cutting of the nut, soak it with PB Blaster overnight if needed. Use a punch or something that fits in the hole and sledge hammer/air hammer.

Last edited by Tishock; 06-26-2015, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I used a hacksaw on mine. Breaker bar did nothing, 2 nights of soaking it did nothing, heat did nothing, air hammer did nothing. I didn't have room for the whole hacksaw handle so I held the blade in my hand with a glove and sawed in the middle. It took me 3 hours and 40min............

Good luck....

Comment

Update

So I was able to cut off the nut the bolt was screwed into using an angle grinder (which I recommend for fastest removal, yet kinda sketch if you've never used power tools) but the bolt still won't budge. I tried hammer and punch for about an hour or two and also tried drilling in to try an easy-out or maybe even just drilling through the whole thing but I can't get further than a half-inch in no matter how long I have the drill on it. Only ideas I have left are using a torch on the bolt (I've heard many pros and cons to this) or maybe just cutting through the bushing which I really 100% do not want to end up doing. Any ideas from anybody would be greatly appreciated...!?!?!

btw: was able to change the front 2 struts perfectly fine nothing broken in less than 20 mins, so weird how the front can be in much better mechanical condition than the back where every bolt breaks with force.. Hondas man smh

Comment

The fronts are usually serviced more than the rears, so that's probably why the fronts didn't give you too much trouble. I'd say throw the torch on there and see if that'll break it loose. Can't be any worse than cutting through the bushing, right? &#175;\_(ツ)_/&#175;

Comment

i guarantee that you will need to replace the bushing. it is very common for the bolt to become 100&#37; seized in there. the bushing is called "rear lower strut mount" and here is a guide on how to replace it: http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8980
                Last edited by cp[mike]; 07-06-2015, 03:18 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                Current cars:
                - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Hacksaw, take water breaks ..... you will need it.

Last edited by Raf99; 07-06-2015, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                    i guarantee that you will need to replace the bushing. it is very common for the bolt to become 100&#37; seized in there. the bushing is called "rear lower strut mount" and here is a guide on how to replace it: http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8980
                    Thanks for the link. I finally went to install the rear struts in Ruby (still has the original rear struts at 330,000, no leaking, no bouncing); the bolt turned a little and I heard a tearing sound - the rubber in the bushing tearing - stopped right there so I could still drive it. Ordered OEM bushings and bolts. I'll probably wind up using my sawzall or cutoff wheel to cut through the metal part of the bushing and bolt, then the sawzall to cut the bushing sleeve to get it out of the knuckle. I've used a large bolt and washers/spacers to replace the sway bar bushings in my 99 Ford E350, so I may try that for installing the bushings instead of hammering. If it works out, I'll add that info to the thread as well.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

good news and bad news

Cut through bushing, bolt came out and replaced both. Quite easy compared to what this project has consisted of, wish I could of have this knowledge from the beginning.

Obviously now that something finally went right something always has to go wrong next right?

With the strut removed we need to take off the springs but when we compressed the springs and tried taking the bolt at the top off it will spin which didn't happen in the front so now I'm stumped. I'm guessing it should be an allen at the top but none of the ones we tried worked. It should be a 6mm but if it doesn't work what should we do ??? This project is slowly dragging itself on, something I thought was going to take a weekend is taking a lot longer..

Comment

Use a impact gun if you are not, this should do the trick. I thought the top allen key was a 8mm. Rag and vice grips on the strut shaft may do. But i have to stress that you are playing with fire here. When that top nut comes off the spring is going to want to explode off!

Comment

Just rattle gun it haha, fixes everything.
                          sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                            i guarantee that you will need to replace the bushing. it is very common for the bolt to become 100% seized in there. the bushing is called "rear lower strut mount" and here is a guide on how to replace it: http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8980
                            So we got the left strut and bushing/mount in no prob, the right side a bit more difficult tho, hammered it in but it half way in and don't seem to be going anywhere, know of any tricks to get it the rest the way in ???
                            We've tried grease, pb blaster heating the knuckle, bunch of stuff still not working

Comment

Originally posted by lameshitss View Post
                              So we got the left strut and bushing/mount in no prob, the right side a bit more difficult tho, hammered it in but it half way in and don't seem to be going anywhere, know of any tricks to get it the rest the way in ???
                              We've tried grease, pb blaster heating the knuckle, bunch of stuff still not working
                              Use another jack to push the bushing and shock up far enough to get the bolt through. Be creative.

Comment

Working...
                              X