Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Idk Whats Going On With My Car Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idk Whats Going On With My Car Help

Ok.... so i have issues a bit back

and i needed to replace the alt..

so i did... i jumped it and it ran like a beast

no problems went about 4 miles total, and had a total sputter. floored it makes popping sounds like its under a huge load, but it goes no where

WTF is going on with it....

i changed the spark plug wires they are fine
    My ground is also fine

i have no dash activity
    gauges dont work

please help

thanks,
    Ty

any oil in the spark plugs? when you remove the spark plug wires? That could be leaking tube seals underneath the rocker arms. I would check that first.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
      any oil in the spark plugs? when you remove the spark plug wires? That could be leaking tube seals underneath the rocker arms. I would check that first.
      im gunna run out and check that too.... anyother ideaS?>

Comment

did you get the right alt. and did you replace the bat at the same time.
        Accord SE

93se
        Members Ride
        Bought from: H22wagon93, Theos92VR4, Hondafan81, Father Time, DarkHusk, Gunrunner, FamousFreak
        Sold to: sulimed, BurtonRiderT6, tishock

Comment

Originally posted by esskater892 View Post
          did you get the right alt. and did you replace the bat at the same time.
          Ok....

no oil in plug cavity or on plug itself

battery is braaaannd new...
          and the alt is from kragen (vehicle specific)
          did the alt check and everything

Comment

Originally posted by 2.2lv8eater View Post
            Ok....

no oil in plug cavity or on plug itself

battery is braaaannd new...
            and the alt is from kragen (vehicle specific)
            did the alt check and everything
            ok... so, i had my buddy jump my car...

it ran great... pulled the jumper cables off still ran ok... for all of 2-5 seconds...
            any ideas?

Comment

either you got a bad alternator, or you forgot to plug something in.

I forgot to plug in my alt one time after working on my car. drove on the battery for about 15 minutes before the gauges started going all wacky. then the car died and I immediately realized what I had done. (At this point I was stuck on the side of the freeway. had to hike to work and grab a jumper pack. lol)
              Last edited by madwagon; 04-23-2009, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Did you put the belt on correctly? With the correct tension?

1990 CB7 - Almost Done - Delta 272, SRI, 2.25 catback, Bisi intake manifold gasket, A6 intake double stacked, H22 plenum, AEM cam gear, F23a block, F22a head, Wiseco K20 pistons, DSM 450cc injectors

2004 Z33 - Brembo BBK, Nismo spoiler, Nismo lip, Nismo shift knob, AEM CAI

Comment

is there a possibility for something simple on your problem like a plugged ass fuel filter? idk how it'd go on a honda but i had a caddy i did a $350 tune up to, then the prick chugged, backfired, idled good, then died... it was the only thing i didnt change... the fuel filter... i'd say check your fuel if you have good spark... sometimes simple things you overlook can be the biggest pain in the ass
                  THOU SHALT NOT SHIT IN DEEVE'S WHEATIES

Comment

or it's a bad alternator. I had to change it on my mx-3 4 times. Installed the first one, acted just like yours. Took it in for test, 1/2 volt output lol. Did that two more times then got smart and had the 4th one tested before I left the store. With that one installed everything worked perfect again. And that's the only trouble I've had with O'Reilly's. Good luck man, I hope it's nothing major.
                    Officially "hilarious mad sarcastic"! Thanks CB74christ for the recognition of my work.

Comment

Get a multimeter out and check the voltage over the battery poles with the engine off and then on and see what you get... you should probably have near 14v with the engine running, anything under 13 and I'd say you got a bad alternator.

Comment

here is how to check if your alternator is working properly:

1. Start your car

2. Unplug the battery

3. The alternator should be able to handle the power loads of the entire car. The battery of any car is mainly to start it; after wards the alternator takes over.

Make sure the current output of the alternator is properly spec'd; if anything, make sure the current output is higher than needed; that way you can run a nice amplifier to your speakers.

good luck
                        DEVOTE

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha View Post

1. Start your car

2. Unplug the battery

3. The alternator should be able to handle the power loads of the entire car. The battery of any car is mainly to start it; after wards the alternator takes over.

Make sure the current output of the alternator is properly spec'd; if anything, make sure the current output is higher than needed; that way you can run a nice amplifier to your speakers.

good luck
                          Watch out plugging the battery back in dont do it while the car is running could send a voltage spike to the computer and fry it.
                          -Will

Comment

Originally posted by lokuputha View Post

1. Start your car

2. Unplug the battery

good luck
                            THat is also a potentially great way to cook your new alternator and possibly your wiring harness too.
                            The alternator NEEDS the battery as a voltage reference as to how much charge it is required to deliver.

Comment

make sure the plug on the alt. is secured on the alt. when I removed my Alt during my headgasket rebuild, the little plastic connector thing broke so I had to zip tie it to make it stay on the alt. Otherwise it would wiggle itself loose.

member's ride thread
                              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                              91 Accord SE 176k
                              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                              X