No announcement yet.

FoamyPirate: 2002 Chevrolet Corvette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=foamypirate;3265807]Learned the hard way about the melting/cracking problem these cars have with the turn signal/DRL housings. Went through a car wash (touchless!), and when I left, I had hyper blinkers...
    GM put too hot of a bulb in the housings, and over time, they melt and crack. Apparently it happens to all of them. When the cold, high pressure water hits, it gets into the housing, hits the bulb, and the bulb explodes. Hooray!
    I opted to solve the problem permanently, and bought new housings, and LED turn signal bulbs w/ a hyperflash harness (stops the LEDs from causing hyperflash) from RadioFlyer Innovations.
    $150 for turn signals, hah. [quote]

I've been eyeing those turn signals for awhile myself. I'm torn between blackhoused with amber reflector or black housed with the clear reflector. I've got the RadioFlyer ACA head lamps which I like a lot. They're not without their flaws, but I do like them. The flaws are a function of the C5, not the parts themselves.

Originally posted by foamypirate
    I also got the dreaded Service Traction/ABS/Active Handling message on the DIC. Didn't end up being too bad to fix. First thing I checked was the common grounds in the engine bay. Cleaned them up and filled them with dielectric grease. No dice on that being the fix, so I pulled the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) off the the BPMV (Brake Pressure Modulator Valve), tapped the hole used to flood the unit with silicone, and used a screw threaded into said hole to push the cover off (thank you CorvetteForum for awesome instructions). The solder joints on the board were horrid. I touched up and re-flowed the solder joints, put everything back together, and it's good as new.
    Consider yourself lucky you've got a post-2000 car when it comes to that issue. I've got the earlier version which has no known repair for that issue, a new unit is needed. Apparently the units run in the $900-1,000 range too. Since I'd don't have active handling, I think I'd live without the ABS. Supposedly my EBCM was replaced by the prior owner, so we will see.

Comment

Finally decided to tackle a few problems I've had with the car since I bought it:

1) Low to no power steering assist, only when steering to the left. Steering to the right had full assist, as normally expected.
      2) Driver's door control doesn't control anything on passenger side.

To remedy number 1, I sent my steering rack off to Turn One. They build steering pumps and boxes for NASCAR, and have a very good reputation in the Corvette community for their rebuilds, versus the parts store junk A1 CarDone. They both required shipping my rack in, so why not go for the quality rebuild? They just shipped it today, so I should get it next week.

To remedy number 2, I finally tore into the passenger door panel to check out the RDCM (Right Door Control Module). What do you know, someone had installed a DRIVER side door control module. That makes sense with the symptoms I'm having. Easy fix. I have a "new" used module on the way.

Since the rack has been removed and off for the rebuild for about 3 weeks now, I tackled a bunch of other small misc. things while I was at it. Installed a new harmonic balancer to replace my wobbling OEM balancer, installed new plugs and wires, and cleaned and conditioned my leather seats. Glad they shipped my rack today, I was running out of things to work on!
      Originally posted by sweet91accord
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
        Finally decided to tackle a few problems I've had with the car since I bought it:

1) Low to no power steering assist, only when steering to the left. Steering to the right had full assist, as normally expected.
        2) Driver's door control doesn't control anything on passenger side.

To remedy number 1, I sent my steering rack off to Turn One. They build steering pumps and boxes for NASCAR, and have a very good reputation in the Corvette community for their rebuilds, versus the parts store junk A1 CarDone. They both required shipping my rack in, so why not go for the quality rebuild? They just shipped it today, so I should get it next week.

To remedy number 2, I finally tore into the passenger door panel to check out the RDCM (Right Door Control Module). What do you know, someone had installed a DRIVER side door control module. That makes sense with the symptoms I'm having. Easy fix. I have a "new" used module on the way.

Since the rack has been removed and off for the rebuild for about 3 weeks now, I tackled a bunch of other small misc. things while I was at it. Installed a new harmonic balancer to replace my wobbling OEM balancer, installed new plugs and wires, and cleaned and conditioned my leather seats. Glad they shipped my rack today, I was running out of things to work on!
        That's fantastic. I ran into issues with my PS when the dealer did the harmonic balancer the second time. I completely lost power assist. They bled it a bunch of times and eventually got it back, but it's still not 100%.

Seeing as the piece of junk GM balancer is wobbling again and chirping I'm going aftermarket next year when I pull the car out again.

Comment

Working...
        X