JDM headlight restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JDM headlight restoration

Bought a set of headlights from Jarrett a few days ago and started restoring them. The person who retrofitted them went crazy with adhesive but here is the progress so far.

Finished one lens today. Will go over it again with goo gone to get the small amount of remaining adhesive.

Any tips to remove the yellow paint? I want to do a black chrome housing and blue high beam reflector or have it done in black chrome also.

I think blue would look good.

Try removing the yellow with mineral oil first, then move up to something more potent if that doesn't work. I wouldn't use paint thinner, you might scratch the heck out of the reflector and dull it.
    As for the adhesive, when you remove it all, go to an RV store and buy some Butyl tape. Walmart may have it too. It's like a sticky clay and will seal more like factory than an adhesive will and probably seal better. I'm just assuming the previous owner used an "adhesive" as you mentioned. RTV silicone will/can leak. Butyl tape is pliable like clay/putty. We use it on RV windows to make a seal to keep moisture out where silicone is absolutely useless.
    CC2 Vigor.

Comment

Also, use a UV sealer on those headlight lenses after sanding and buffing. When you sand the OEM sealer off like that, you diminish the life expectancy of your headlight plastics. They will yellow in no time without UV sealing them. I will post a link to the stuff I use... works great.
      CC2 Vigor.

Comment

Originally posted by Vermonter View Post
        Try removing the yellow with mineral oil first, then move up to something more potent if that doesn't work. I wouldn't use paint thinner, you might scratch the heck out of the reflector and dull it.
        As for the adhesive, when you remove it all, go to an RV store and buy some Butyl tape. Walmart may have it too. It's like a sticky clay and will seal more like factory than an adhesive will and probably seal better. I'm just assuming the previous owner used an "adhesive" as you mentioned. RTV silicone will/can leak. Butyl tape is pliable like clay/putty. We use it on RV windows to make a seal to keep moisture out where silicone is absolutely useless.
        Thanks! Yes, I planned on buying some oci butyl tape that comes in a big roll from the retrofit source.

Comment

You're welcome.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...s-uv-coat.html

This stuff is amazing. Crystal clear when applied, and it has lasted through a very salty winter here, no issues. My JDM headlights look brandy new.
          CC2 Vigor.

Comment

update

Got one high beam reflector stripped and painted...

I'm going to do another round of headlight restoration before sealing them up. Would it be safe to restore the inside of them?

Comment

Honestly, in my experience it seems the inside is easily marked. I would leave the inside of the plastic lens alone. I used a no-lint cloth and some no-streak Stoner brand glass cleaner to clean the insides and that was it. What did you end up using to remove the yellow?
              CC2 Vigor.

Comment

I tried to find mineral oil but only saw mineral spirits. That didn't work so I used non acetone nail polish remover and it got 98% of it off. Some chrome was coming off so I may have them re chromed depending on how much it will cost.

Finally got around to black chroming theheadlights. I used duplicolor shadow and it came out great.

***BEFORE***

***AFTER***

Pictures don't do them justice
                Last edited by kseriescivic; 03-03-2017, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X