Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB7Tuner.com Custom Shift Knobs - POLL

Front Page Edit:
    So you don't have to read the entire thread, here are some cliff notes.
    1. I am currently getting a few prototype or sample knobs made from different people/companies.
    2. Shape will most likely be either a round or teardrop shape. MAYBE even both (depending on cost) to fit everyone's preferences.
    3. Material will either be stainless steel and/or polymer. Titanium is just too expensive and aluminum just doesn't have enough weight (even with a weighted insert).

Input/feedback is welcomed, in fact encouraged, so that we can get the best of everything with these.

--------------------

Ok guys & gals. If you haven't heard, I am currently having CB7Tuner.com keychains produced.
    It was just coincidental that I reached out to Mike about getting a licensing agreement for producing/selling products around the same time the CB7Tuner.com branded products thread was started. Great timing or fate, who knows...

Anyways, during this process I ran across several leads for custom shift knobs.

I know what sort of shape, material, and designs I like, but that doesn't always translate well into a product that everyone else will enjoy..
    After passing this by Mike, I want to see if any sort of consensus can be reach for a custom CB7Tuner.com shift knob.

So right now I'm seeing if a style/shape can be agreed upon (at least a majority) before anything else.
    Below are four fairly popular aftermarket styles for knobs.

I am only putting this thread up to discuss the shape/style of shift knob, nothing else!
    Not the material, not the weight, not the color, just the shape.
    Material, colors, weight, etc. can be discussed later when/IF things progress.

Again, this is all speculative. Getting a jump on these sort of details really helps speed the processes up if things get going. So let me hear you opinions!

EDIT:
    I said I wasn't going to ask this right now, but the more I thought about it, the more I think it's also relevant.

What material/feel would you prefer?

1. Aluminum - Lightweight
    2. Stainless steel - Heavier weight
    3. Titanium - Heavier weight
    4. High density polymer - Light to medium weight
    5. Other - Specify
    Round
    28.57%
    Teardrop
    37.14%
    Mugen Slim (or similar design)
    11.43%
    "Type-R"
    20.00%
    Other (specify in thread)
    2.86%
    Last edited by Jon; 07-20-2017, 09:29 PM.
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Spherical for me. It's got an old-school but also timeless race vibe to it. Teardrop would be my second pick.

*ED. - didn't see the poll
    Last edited by CyborgGT; 06-26-2017, 09:57 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Round or Type R would work for me.
      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I'd like Teardrop or Type-R.
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I have a round textured shift knob in my Saab and I love it. Just the right size to be able to fit my whole hand over it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
            I'd like Teardrop or Type-R.
            Same Here!

If you guys could make a sweet CB7Tuner steering wheel, I would definitely purchase that, along side this knob.
            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

I'm the one Mugen style guy, haha. I would like one with the length of the Mugen, but the ergonomics of the teardrop. Idk it's too much!

Comment

Ok, might as well bring this issue up as well.

What material/feel would you prefer?

1. Aluminum - Lightweight
                2. Stainless steel - Heavier weight
                3. Titanium - Heavier weight
                4. High density polymer - Light to medium weight
                5. Other - Specify
                Last edited by Jon; 06-27-2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Maybe a Duracon material so people don't cook their hands in the summertime.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                    That would be the high density polymer material. Doesn't really get hot or cold.

I could of course include a slip cover for the metal ones... put it on when you park, take it off when you drive.

Just seeing what/if I can get the field of possibilities narrowed down to some degree.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                      Dude, that is what those cool racing gloves are for . If you do move to Houston you will definitely need some gloves of any kind or a sock like my wife does. . I was actually looking at a steel round knob for the past 3 weeks but I could not decide on one, even looked at the custom billiards since I had one on my old camaro. I guess I will wait and see.
                      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Well if you're possibly supplying a boot, brushed stainless always looks awesome. Maybe a classy stained & sealed wood?

Comment

I'd say Aluminum or Brushed Stainless Steel, both of those look nice, but yea a little boot or cover would be needed for sure.
                          MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Brushed stainless with a cover, for sure, as far as looks.

I couldn't suggest weight, as the car this would be going into will be the first manual I've owned. My experience with knobs has been very limited and all factory.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Heavier tends to offer a better feel than the lighter weight versions. Aluminum can sometimes feel 'hollow' and that is really dependent of the aluminum alloy used though.

My Mom's '87 626 stock knob has a little bit of weight to it and it feels completely different from a stock CB's.

I know it's impossible to please everyone, but I sure as hell can die trying!

Comment

Working...
                              X