Retrofit review; How have they held up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrofit review; How have they held up?

Some Im considering a retro fit project on one of my cars, and was curious how they have held up over time?

I know there are a couple write ups, but not many reviews after time has passed.

So what I was hoping to get was;

What projector did you use?
    What adhesives you used?
    How long has it been?
    Any issues you ran into during the retrofit or afterwards?

If you have pics that'd be cool too

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Back in 08 my car got projectors out of an Audi A6, looked great and worked perfect for a while. I noticed about a year ago my projectors weren't sharp or as bright anymore so I took it apart to check it out. Everything inside the projector is chromed metal except for the main reflector. It's black plastic painted silver? WTF. So the plastic has melted and now the output is dull and week because its half black half silver and not smooth. My buddy has an 02 A4 and he has the same problem. So I would stay away from using Volkswagen projectors. Otherwise everything else has held up.
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

They last. Just keep moisture out and use quality compoents. Cant go wrong with TRS

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
        Back in 08 my car got projectors out of an Audi A6, looked great and worked perfect for a while. I noticed about a year ago my projectors weren't sharp or as bright anymore so I took it apart to check it out. Everything inside the projector is chromed metal except for the main reflector. It's black plastic painted silver? WTF. So the plastic has melted and now the output is dull and week because its half black half silver and not smooth. My buddy has an 02 A4 and he has the same problem. So I would stay away from using Volkswagen projectors. Otherwise everything else has held up.
        Did you run 35w/55w HID's?

Sucks that that happened. Thanks for the honest feedback
        im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Projectors: Morimoto Mini D2S v2.0
          Bulbs: D2S Philips 85122+ (4.3k) w/35 watt digital ballasts (AMP style w/AMP-D2S adapters)
          Shrouds: Mini Gatling-Gun w/CCFL halos (not wired)
          Adhesives: OEM butyl rubber glue to seal headlight assembly, none for internals.

I LOVE my retrofit. They've been installed since 3/24/12, so about 7 months now. NOTHING has gone wrong with them in that much time. Cutoff is still crisp, colorful and very wide. Intensity is badass with the Philips bulbs. Quality bulbs make all the difference. I have a couple other colors (3k, 6k) but the Philips are king. I highly recommend them.

click the sig for pics of the retrofit installed

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
            Did you run 35w/55w HID's?

Sucks that that happened. Thanks for the honest feedback
            35W, my roommates are stock and his are doing it.
            '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

I used morimoto h1 for a year now and they held up fine.

I used e39 projectors retrofitted into the cb7 for 3 years, no issues. Thinking of selling those soon.

I used OEM fx35 projectors in my van for 5 years, no issues

I used FXr projectors from the retrofitsource for a year in my friends car, no issues
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Right on guys this is great info!!

Thanks, this is the kind of stuff I was looking for

Comment

So what Im thinking here is buying a set of morimoto projectors with functioning splitter, and using the high beam location for drl's.

Thoughts/feedback?

Probably wire the DRL's to an ignition triggered switch, nothing too fancy.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                    So what Im thinking here is buying a set of morimoto projectors with functioning splitter, and using the high beam location for drl's.

Thoughts/feedback?

Probably wire the DRL's to an ignition triggered switch, nothing too fancy.
                    Functional splitters ?

Click it.... You know you wanna
                    Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi

Comment

Has anyone used ebay projectors? Ive always been curious as to how well those hold up over time

Comment

Originally posted by Kile Mcgile View Post
                        Has anyone used ebay projectors? Ive always been curious as to how well those hold up over time
                        There junk and a waste of money, my fog lights put out better light

Click it.... You know you wanna
                        Bought from:Joshy,H22WAGON93, nho93accord,90accordLXGUY,phantomCB7,Tommi

Comment

Originally posted by 91kid View Post
                          Functional splitters ?
                          Low/high beam shutters. Bixenon shit

toycar that sounds fine. Only thing I would say is figure out how to step down the voltage on the DRL bulbs so you don't have high beams on all the time.

Originally posted by lordoja
                          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Just a note for those with projector retrofits...

With a compact projector such as the morimoto mini, the bulb makes all the difference.

I just switched from the D2S Philips 85122+ to VisionPlus (better than no name stuff) 6k D2S bulbs and the difference is like night and day. Beam width has decreased as well as intensity. And since the quality isn't as high as the Philips, the base doesn't seat 100% causing the pattern to bow along the outer edges.

So to get the most out of your projector, get some quality bulbs.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

i got my passenger projector stuck and cracked my housing a tiny bit. be careful with those locking ring nuts

this is as good as my cut off will be for a while until i decide i want to mess with it again and cut open my housing re-do another one and replace the projector bowl and get a new locking ring
                              Last edited by Quashish; 10-19-2012, 07:01 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
                              It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Working...
                              X