VSS gear question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VSS gear question

So I read the DIY about how to swap the gears from the CB VSS to the U2Q7 trans. But, I also read on a few other threads on "VSS" about how people have just swapped the whole assembly over to the H22s without changing the gears & have had success.

When I pulled the VSS off my T2W4 the gear was a lot longer than the CB's gear. So I did not want to take the chance of shredding up the gear if it did not match up. I also pulled a VSS off of a A/T CB & the shaft that holds the gear has a different ending tip, that narrows towards the end.

Do I have to switch the gears on the VSS or can I reuse the whole CB assembly?

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=148437
    Keep Pushing..

I'm not sure on whether or not you need to swap the gears or not but comparing it with an auto VSS is not good. The auto and manual VSS's are entirely different units. You would be better off comparing it to a manual VSS and see how it compares. Go ahead and look up the part numbers for the manual vs auto VSS, if you don't want to take my word for it.
    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I'm not even sure which transmission I have (it was sold as an Accord trans, but the gear ratios say Prelude); I used the same PS VSS as I took out of my original LX manual transmission and have not had a problem (120,000 miles).
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
        I'm not sure on whether or not you need to swap the gears or not but comparing it with an auto VSS is not good. The auto and manual VSS's are entirely different units. You would be better off comparing it to a manual VSS and see how it compares. Go ahead and look up the part numbers for the manual vs auto VSS, if you don't want to take my word for it.
        Yeah I found that out yesterday. But it is wild, every time I look through Majestic Honda I do not see that whole assembly as a listed part for the F22. I only ever see the electronic connector part listed.

I actually had a mishap because I had both VVS apart.. I was swapping over the gear from the T2W4 onto the F22s VSS & I pulled a rookie move & broke off the top portion of the "shaft" that connects inside the portion of the top electrical portion. Where it looks like a "V" shape I broke one side off. I am kind of mad lol.
        Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          I'm not even sure which transmission I have (it was sold as an Accord trans, but the gear ratios say Prelude); I used the same PS VSS as I took out of my original LX manual transmission and have not had a problem (120,000 miles).
          & you never swapped the gears? I was counting the gears last night & I think the T2W4 had 19 teeth & the F22 had 18 I think? not 100% on the count right now b/c I am not home. But the gear from the T2W4 is a lot longer than the F22's gear.

Oh yeah fleetw00d, did you check to see if you have another full VSS assembly?
          Keep Pushing..

Comment

So we are actually talking about the Power Steering Speed Pump or the PSSP for short. The VSS bolts on top of the PSSP. If you look under power steering on the Majestic site you will find the PSSP's.

Accord Auto Power Steering Speed Pump

You can now find the manual to compare the part numbers to.

Comment

Oh wow I was looking under the incorrect area on the website. Thank you. But yes I am talking about part #: 56500-PT3-902 the part that bolts onto the top of the transmission.

Picture from DIY thread to clarify:
              Keep Pushing..

Comment

I guess my first question is this.

Why can't you use the Euro-R PSSP? It was the one designed for the transmission. Does our USDM VSS not work on it correctly? Or does the VSS that came with it not hook up to our harness correctly?

Are you worried about the power steering lines not hooking up to it? You could use it and just loop your power steering lines on top of the subframe.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                  I guess my first question is this.

Why can't you use the Euro-R PSSP? It was the one designed for the transmission. Does our USDM VSS not work on it correctly? Or does the VSS that came with it not hook up to our harness correctly?

Are you worried about the power steering lines not hooking up to it? You could use it and just loop your power steering lines on top of the subframe.
                  I could use it but I would not have power steering which is my goal to have. I have felt no power steering in my father's car & I do not like the feeling. Yes the Euro's is different because it is just a plastic assembly without the power steering line connections. I am pretty sure the connection for the actual CBs harness will work for the one that came on the Euro but I have to double check. I am not sure if our entire USDM VSS assembly works because I have the Euro out of the car & I am just prepping it for the installation. The Euro has yet to be installed in my car. That's why I was curious.

Yes I am worried about the power steering lines not hooking up. I would like to have power steering.
                  Keep Pushing..

Comment

Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
                      & you never swapped the gears? I was counting the gears last night & I think the T2W4 had 19 teeth & the F22 had 18 I think? not 100% on the count right now b/c I am not home. But the gear from the T2W4 is a lot longer than the F22's gear.
                      I didn't swap gears because 1) I didn't know I needed to 2) the transmission I bought was sold to me as an Accord transmission
                      an didn't have the speed sensor assembly in it.

My speedometer is almost perfect at 70 mph, so whatever I've got seems to work.

Even though the gears are different widths, is the pitch of the teeth the same?
                      Last edited by Fleetw00d; 09-16-2017, 07:32 PM.
                      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Mike will hopefully chime in on this. I know 100% that the euro r vss plugs into the cb harness, as I just installed all of that into my cb a couple weeks ago. I haven't driven it yet to see if the speedo is off. This is where Mike would have knowledge as he also has a T2W4 tranny
                        ~Nick~
                        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                          Mike will hopefully chime in on this. I know 100% that the euro r vss plugs into the cb harness, as I just installed all of that into my cb a couple weeks ago. I haven't driven it yet to see if the speedo is off. This is where Mike would have knowledge as he also has a T2W4 tranny
                          The T2W4 VSS unit does plug into the CB harness without modification. My speedo is accurate to the vehicle speed as far as I and the speed calculating road signs can tell.

For the PS speed sensor you could install the Euro-R VSS and connect the 2 hard lines with hose. You would lose the variable speed effect of the CB VSS, but that may not be the worst thing. I have never driven with the lines connected, I just know that it can operate that way.
                          http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                            I didn't swap gears because 1) I didn't know I needed to 2) the transmission I bought was sold to me as an Accord transmission
                            an didn't have the speed sensor assembly in it.

My speedometer is almost perfect at 70 mph, so whatever I've got seems to work.

Even though the gears are different widths, is the pitch of the teeth the same?
                            Yeah everything looks to be the same. I actually miscounted, there are both 19 teeth present on each gear. Looks like a match.

My whole mission is to just swap the gears so I can have the power steering assisted sensor going.
                            Keep Pushing..

Comment

I got the gear from the T2W4 swapped over to the F22s Powersteering Sensor's shaft. What a pain in the ass that was trying to get the gear onto the shaft. After heating it up multiple times & tapping it onto the shaft it finally went on. It was more so difficult because when putting the shaft in a vice, there is no easy way to put on the gear without the shaft sliding down the vice. Going to install it today to the transmission to make sure all is well.
                              Keep Pushing..

Comment

Working...
                              X