No announcement yet.

owequitit : 2009 Honda Civic Si

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought all cars are tested before they make it to the lot, meaning that the motor should already be broken in?
    Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
    Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
    Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
    Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
    Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
      I thought all cars are tested before they make it to the lot, meaning that the motor should already be broken in?
      They do the very initial break in, but the engine is still wearing in for the first couple thousand miles. It ultimately wears in forever, eventually needing replaced or rebuilt, but the intial start, and the intial few hundred miles are really critical.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
        They do the very initial break in, but the engine is still wearing in for the first couple thousand miles. It ultimately wears in forever, eventually needing replaced or rebuilt, but the intial start, and the intial few hundred miles are really critical.
        I've heard TONS of conflicting information about this.

Mostly regarding evo's sti's.

Here's what I've heard, I'm curious to see what you think. As you do your homework.

The motor does better if driven hard initially. This helps to set the piston rings and other things. The clutch, brakes, trans don't like being driven hard initially.So over all drive varied.

Baby the car under 3k or 4k for 3000 miles.

Rip on the car and it's fine.

When my mom bought her rav4 I asked the salesmen and he said just to vary speed and you'd be fine.

Car and driver explicitly said with their evo to baby it initially and you wont' get the oil burn every one else gets, this worked on their test car.

And lastly my friend's a4 he just was kind and didn't rev over 4k for 4000 miles.

So basically I have no idea.
        Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemycb7 View Post
          I've heard TONS of conflicting information about this.

Mostly regarding evo's sti's.

Here's what I've heard, I'm curious to see what you think. As you do your homework.

The motor does better if driven hard initially. This helps to set the piston rings and other things. The clutch, brakes, trans don't like being driven hard initially.So over all drive varied.

Baby the car under 3k or 4k for 3000 miles.

Rip on the car and it's fine.

When my mom bought her rav4 I asked the salesmen and he said just to vary speed and you'd be fine.

Car and driver explicitly said with their evo to baby it initially and you wont' get the oil burn every one else gets, this worked on their test car.

And lastly my friend's a4 he just was kind and didn't rev over 4k for 4000 miles.

So basically I have no idea.
          There is a lot of conflicting info.

The most scientific thing I could find was VERY structured, but didn't "rape" the engine, nor did it baby it.

He basically said to start low, and get the revs up to say 30% of redline, Then coast the car as the vacuum in the cylinder helps seat the rings. You repeat this several times. Then you GRADUALLY increase the % of redline, and let the engine coast under vacuum. You don't race the piss out of it to get it to redline, you simply get it there and then coast. After doing this a few times, you don't worry about it, as everything should be seated properly.

I have a feeling that Honda seats them when they drive it on the test track, and then you basically just take it easy for 600 miles to allow everything to finish wearing it in. I basically followed their instructions, since they seem to know what they are doing. They recommend to avoid running the engine hard or exceeding about 60% of redline for the first 600 miles. I was able to do that in mixed driving, except for 1 circumstance, where I had to redline 1st gear to get around someone, but other than that, I heeded the instructions, and that was more necessary that intentional.

Oddly, it was amazing how much it loosened up in the first 200 miles or so. Now it revs freely, pulls cleanly and strongly all the way through, and shouldn't be burning any oil, although I won't know for sure until I drive it awhile.

I will see if I can find the link I am referring to.

Comment

thats what i did on my motor

drove to 3K and deceled to a stop

then did the same for 4K, 5K, and 6K

Formerly 91AccordExR33
            11.68 @ 127mph
            417whp/375wtq
            Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Originally posted by Boost_Lee View Post
              thats what i did on my motor

drove to 3K and deceled to a stop

then did the same for 4K, 5K, and 6K
              Interesting. This makes a lot of sense, it's pretty simple, and it's not really hard to do.

Same to what scott said. Glad you're enjoying the car, my friend drove me in his rsx-s and it felt like a really nice ride and had enough power. I'm sure it's comparable. Both k20z1s I believe. yours may be newer now.
              Last edited by ilovemycb7; 03-25-2009, 02:47 AM.
              Click for my ride thread.

Comment

Nice car! Si sedans are my fave!

Comment

i think a MOD should delete this thread. A MR thread with no piktars=Fail

Comment

Originally posted by ilovemycb7 View Post
                    Interesting. This makes a lot of sense, it's pretty simple, and it's not really hard to do.

Same to what scott said. Glad you're enjoying the car, my friend drove me in his rsx-s and it felt like a really nice ride and had enough power. I'm sure it's comparable. Both k20z1s I believe. yours may be newer now.
                    Yeah, I really don't get all the complaining. This car has absolutely no problem getting around town. It is smooth as silk, sounds awesome, and has a great NA power curve. It WOULD benefit from having VTEC lowered, which the Hondata reflash does, but really, it is still great. The tranny so far has been a joy.

Also, the K20Z3 is the version in the SI. The K20Z1 was not DBW to the best of my knowledge, and it didn't have balance shafts, which the K20Z3 does. Also, I think the K20Z3 is probably slightly underrated (many people firmly believe it is closer to 205-210HP, while the K20Z1 had a lot of ITR parts in it. I think one of the cams was even identical. I drove one of those, and it felt about the same, maybe a little stronger. Of course the RSX-S was lighter too.

Comment

Originally posted by Prez808 View Post
                      Nice car! Si sedans are my fave!
                      It definitely impressed me more than I thought it would.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
                        i think a MOD should delete this thread. A MR thread with no piktars=Fail
                        I took some, but haven't put them up yet. Besides, it looks EXACTLY like the 4 doors in the 8thcivic thread I posted.

Comment

i'm still jealous you got one of these. i LOVE these cars. coupes more so then four doors but i'm still young and not needing a 4 door yet.

Comment

Originally posted by N9netwoAccord View Post
                            i'm still jealous you got one of these. i LOVE these cars. coupes more so then four doors but i'm still young and not needing a 4 door yet.
                            LOL! They are good cars, and actually pretty affordable.

As for the 4 door, I TECHNICALLY didn't NEED it, but I just liked it better overall.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
                              LOL! They are good cars, and actually pretty affordable.

As for the 4 door, I TECHNICALLY didn't NEED it, but I just liked it better overall.
                              I thought you had a couple kids or something

Comment

Originally posted by JaK FRoSTWhiTE View Post
                                I thought you had a couple kids or something
                                No kids. No wife. I just like the utility better.

Also, I just wanted you to know that I got to get on it in the upper revs finally, and there is no rev hang issue. It stays just for a fraction of a second, much as a slightly heavier flywheel might do. A slight timing change on the pedals, and no problem.

On all the older ones I drove it was REALLY bad. I also haven't noticed any throttle delays in terms of reacting to my inputs. Did you get to drive one yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X