This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
    i wouldnt do the group at all. i was pretty sure it was closed because i saw traffic pick back up here. why have a group when theres millions of threads and replies here that are all full of info?
    Couldn't agree more, but I'm an old man and the young kids need to fit in these days

Comment

i wouldnt do the group at all. i was pretty sure it was closed because i saw traffic pick back up here. why have a group when theres millions of threads and replies here that are all full of info?
      I couldn't agree more either. Honestly I don't even know why people use Facebook at all. Just another way to give all of your personal info and data away. That and all the useful information is already located here. Yes it may be a bit harder to use than Facebook, but usually good things come when you put forth the effort.
      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Add me as a mod in the group. Trust me. I'll keep it cleaned up from idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
          I couldn't agree more either. Honestly I don't even know why people use Facebook at all. Just another way to give all of your personal info and data away. That and all the useful information is already located here. Yes it may be a bit harder to use than Facebook, but usually good things come when you put forth the effort.
          Facebook/social media is an awesome tool when used correctly. Most people just waste their life on it trying to get random people to like their stuff or following things that don't benefit them like other people's lives.

It's only appropriate that the old group got shut down because of that same mentality.

What would be the benefit of starting an official CB7Tuner FB Group?
          Speed, closer personal relationship with forum members...
          That's about all I can think of.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Well to be honest, Facebook provides a way to share information/media/idea in a way that this forum could not unless updated. That would more than likely kill the charm of this place and be expensive and also risk losing valuable data if something goes wrong(and a backup doesn't work)

People like to hate on Facebook for a lot of reasons, but there is something pleasurable about it's ease of use and reach and it's customization. I own a business, and without a doubt, Facebook has garnered me almost all the business I have done. I have a website but it's hard to justify monthly server/domain payments when Facebook provides everything I could need for free. That is not to say that Facebook is perfect. The end of the cb7 facebook shows its limitations and ugly side but I do think in 2016, that we need an official Cb7 facebook. Almost everyone on here has one(even if they won't admit it) and I know I might not be considered an OG but I have been here since 2006 and I still post on here regularly, even though I was on the cb7 facebook. Even if we had the best facebook group on facebook, id still post more here because most of the OG people post on here(as opposed to the facebook) and I guess this is just home. I just think that people who are looking for an old car to restore, who might not want to invest in the forum, might just want a facebook group to kick it in and learn somethings. That is ok, nothing wrong with that. YES, all the information is here, but there are people who don't need most of the info on here that are not into turning their car into a death trap. Probably only have questions regarding maintenance or things like that. The young guys, the ones causing all the problems, will move on eventually. They will not do any better on here than they did on facebook.

Comment

I was not on the facebook group long enough before it closed (3 weeks?). And I am obviously not an active user, but I read ALOT. I notice the beginners section is more active than the tech section as of now. I did notice the disorder on the facebook group, but not the barbaric imbalance that others pointed out. Overall, I like the details of this website, but the speed of communication on facebook is way faster. Probably because we log on a few times a day on facebook? But the tech information on this website is better and more to the topic rather than facebook when people comment just to say things like,"hah! thats fuckin stuped u fktard!" Just giving my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                A small forum donation could allow immediate access into the forums/group. That's how one of the forums that I'm a member of works. If you want to bypass the restriction, you have to pay. I can pretty much guarantee that 98% of people aren't going to do this, but the more serious tuners might especially if the information is there and word gets around.
                I like the idea, but I don't want to give the impression that people can buy their way in, bypassing the rules. I've known forums like that, and I generally don't like them.

If this site wasn't slowing significantly, I'd agree. I've resisted embracing other forms of social media for a very long time... and the unauthorized creation of that CB7tuner group was the result of it. There's probably a Twitter or Instagram account bearing the CB7tuner name, too... :-/
                It's going to happen, and it's what the kiddies are doing these days... so if it's going to happen, it should be done right. This forum was "the thing" back in the heyday of forums, and I think that the way CB7tuner was run was unique. The fact that we have so many dedicated regulars that haven't had CB7s for a LONG time is a testament to how good this place is. Having a proper related Facebook group will only help that.

On facebook, you still can't have detailed technical conversations, and a conversation such as this one is pretty impractical as well. Facebook has some benefits, though. A quick exchange of ideas, pictures, and questions. Greater opportunities for personal connections. And easier access for people using mobile devices (I know this site is cumbersome... usable, but cumbersome.)

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
                Add me as a mod in the group. Trust me. I'll keep it cleaned up from idiots.
                I'll keep you in mind. We're going to need help. I'm even considering a rotating admin roster, so no one person is in the admin position for a long enough time to get burnt out. Might have a few groups of people that take turns being admins.

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                Facebook/social media is an awesome tool when used correctly. Most people just waste their life on it trying to get random people to like their stuff or following things that don't benefit them like other people's lives.

It's only appropriate that the old group got shut down because of that same mentality.

What would be the benefit of starting an official CB7Tuner FB Group?
                Speed, closer personal relationship with forum members...
                That's about all I can think of.
                Closer relationships is a big part of it. Drawing people to the forum is another. I've come to accept that it will happen anyway. Something will fill the void, so we might as well fill it ourselves, and do it the right way. I think if we restrict it to forum members, and set and enforce the ground rules from day one, we'll be successful.

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                Well to be honest, Facebook provides a way to share information/media/idea in a way that this forum could not unless updated. That would more than likely kill the charm of this place and be expensive and also risk losing valuable data if something goes wrong(and a backup doesn't work)

People like to hate on Facebook for a lot of reasons, but there is something pleasurable about it's ease of use and reach and it's customization. I own a business, and without a doubt, Facebook has garnered me almost all the business I have done. I have a website but it's hard to justify monthly server/domain payments when Facebook provides everything I could need for free. That is not to say that Facebook is perfect. The end of the cb7 facebook shows its limitations and ugly side but I do think in 2016, that we need an official Cb7 facebook. Almost everyone on here has one(even if they won't admit it) and I know I might not be considered an OG but I have been here since 2006 and I still post on here regularly, even though I was on the cb7 facebook. Even if we had the best facebook group on facebook, id still post more here because most of the OG people post on here(as opposed to the facebook) and I guess this is just home. I just think that people who are looking for an old car to restore, who might not want to invest in the forum, might just want a facebook group to kick it in and learn somethings. That is ok, nothing wrong with that. YES, all the information is here, but there are people who don't need most of the info on here that are not into turning their car into a death trap. Probably only have questions regarding maintenance or things like that. The young guys, the ones causing all the problems, will move on eventually. They will not do any better on here than they did on facebook.
                I HOPE the plan I have will filter out most of the trouble, leaving us with a much better crowd for the new Facebook group.
                Think of it as a fancy new wing on our old clubhouse. You don't have to spend time in the new wing. Some people might prefer to exclusively spend time in the new wing. However, it won't be a replacement... it'll just be an addition, and treated as such.
                This forum is still plenty useful. I often utilize the computer/game subforum here, even though I'm Facebook friends with most of the people that I hope will reply (and usually, they're the ones that do.) Some things are just better suited to this format.

Comment

Originally posted by jxiong12 View Post
                  I was not on the facebook group long enough before it closed (3 weeks?). And I am obviously not an active user, but I read ALOT. I notice the beginners section is more active than the tech section as of now. I did notice the disorder on the facebook group, but not the barbaric imbalance that others pointed out. Overall, I like the details of this website, but the speed of communication on facebook is way faster. Probably because we log on a few times a day on facebook? But the tech information on this website is better and more to the topic rather than facebook when people comment just to say things like,"hah! thats fuckin stuped u fktard!" Just giving my experience.
                  That sums it up quite accurately.

Most of the people that complain about abuse are the ones that don't think the rules apply to them, the people that give bad information (and consider anyone that corrects them to be a "hater"), and people that act arrogantly to the staff. Some of the staff members, myself included, got overwhelmed and exhausted trying to keep up with things. I actually left the group twice because it was just too much for me! Some people that didn't like the abusive nature of the group were bystanders that witnessed certain people being talked down to by an admin or two... which, while I understand why it happened, was still not the way things should be.

Ultimately, the causes for unpleasantness on the Facebook group will be addressed from the beginning in the new group. While we may not be able to avoid it 100%, we should be able to keep it to a manageable level. The speed and ease of Facebook is largely what makes it so difficult to control... but there are ways to maintain order without resorting to Nazi-esque tactics.

Comment

Just a heads up:

There are two instagram accounts referencing cb7tuner that I could find.

"cb7tuner" - this is actually someone's personal page. Hasn't been updated since October 2014.

"cb7_tuner" - claims to be "The Offical CB7Tuner IG". It even links to www.cb7tuner.com The profile asks to dm/kik pic to them. I am doubting that this account is even related. Probably just an overachiever from the forum. Last updated August 2014.

I'd love to help start an official IG page. I could browse through active members of the forums and use their images. I've run multiple IG's before; my current IG for a car meet has 2k+ followers. All images on that page are my own. I don't steal images or claim them to be mine if they aren't. If an official IG page is created, it should only focus on cb7tuner members. Link to their Member Page (or at least display the username). Obviously, I would never make one without permission and would only want it to be official

Comment

I may have given someone permission to officially represent the forum on there... I don't recall now. Instagram isn't as big a deal, as long as it's not doing anything harmful to the site's reputation. I'll have to see if I can remember or track down the owner of that one.

I wonder if there's a way to get the "cb7tuner" one removed so we can take the name. It's pretty shitty that someone would steal a name like that (someone did it on MySpace years ago, too...)

Comment

You should be able to, if you can prove ownership to Instagram.

Not sure how you would go about contacting them to get it changed though.

Maybe try through here?

https://www.facebook.com/help/instag...11608122342794

Also, didn't I have that admin roster idea? :P
                        sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

I used FB as a piece for advertising for my car sales. So I'm up there regularly. I don't tolerate flammers or trash talkers. Questions asked multiple times within a hour will get gone. Trust me. I'll be sure to keep it cleaned up.

Comment

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
                            You should be able to, if you can prove ownership to Instagram.

Not sure how you would go about contacting them to get it changed though.

Maybe try through here?

https://www.facebook.com/help/instag...11608122342794

Also, didn't I have that admin roster idea? :P
                            I sent a trademark dispute to Instagram. Hopefully the inactive account and the proof that I own CB7tuner will be enough. It was the same form I filed for Facebook regarding the various CB7tuner imposter groups, and I got no response whatsoever from them... so I'm not holding my breath!

And yes, you did mention the roster (in fact, it was from you that I got that particular phrase!) We've kinda been doing that unofficially in the group already, though. Burnt out admins stepped back... other than Jayson, who was a glutton for punishment (and the effects became very evident as time went on... it was unfair of me to leave him mired in that shitstorm for so long.)

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
                            I used FB as a piece for advertising for my car sales. So I'm up there regularly. I don't tolerate flammers or trash talkers. Questions asked multiple times within a hour will get gone. Trust me. I'll be sure to keep it cleaned up.
                            The problem isn't usually with the timely removal of comments... it's the backlash that comes from removing them. "Y U remove my thread u nazi mutherfuker? Dis plase suck!"
                            Or worse, the correction or removal of posts that give incorrect, harmful, or dangerous information ("jus cut ur springs bro!") Much of the drama on the previous group stemmed from people getting butthurt when corrected. Cut springs, lowering on stock shocks, HIDs in stock housings, turbo on stock 25 year old internals... somehow anyone arguing those things, even 100% respectfully, often gets attacked. If it's a staff member, suddenly it becomes an "us against them" situation. It's something I haven't yet figured out how to properly overcome, as the methods used here on the forum aren't effective.

Comment

Yeah alot of people attack Jayson, without any thought to the overall situation.

Alot of that backlash problem will be resolved with a new group that you're planning.

I know there are plenty of members that are very active on both Facebook and here that will be more than willing to help.

I'm sure you could work up a big roster no worries.
                              sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

i volunteer as tribute to help out with the group and forum.

question, My wife is thinking of owning a CB7 aswell, would she need to adhere to the new policy aswell..

then again, now I think of it, she will probably just stick to reading since she rarely post in the internet in general.

Comment

Working...
                                X