No announcement yet.

Sonikaccord : 1985 Mazda RX-7 GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will you be getting a passenger fake passenger seat full of nitrous for that one car?
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Nitrous??? Pfft, that's old school.

All bout dat compressed air supercharging.
      http://casupercharging.com/

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
        Nitrous??? Pfft, that's old school.

All bout dat compressed air supercharging.
        http://casupercharging.com/
        What is the matter? Is it the way you drive? Do you have a heavy foot? Are you afraid you'll blow yourself to pieces?

Comment

Light work. Some disassembly, going to do some engine and engine bay cleaning and small gasket replacements, front mount oil cooler from an FC.

Maybe:
          Wire tuck
          Electric fan
          Electric water pump
          DLDFIS
          Last edited by sonikaccord; 07-31-2019, 08:33 PM.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

This looks like a serious investment of time, money, and everything else.
            The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Stripped the carb of most of the non-essentials. Stripping it more would require irreversible mods.

Before:

Collected all of the steering parts for a much needed full refresh. Pro-tip: Supply chain is awesome, 4 different distributors, but all parts are 555 components. Those Rockauto deals aren't always Chinese parts.

The car uses unpowered, recirculating ball steering, so it's not much to look at.

And here is where we left off. I'm debating on taking the front cover off and cleaning it up, replacing seals, etc. Reallllllly don't want to, but can't get lazy now.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
                This looks like a serious investment of time, money, and everything else.
                It is, but it's going to be worth it. I acquired this car not in the way I wanted to, inherited through a family member's passing. But it's kind of motivating! To know that this isn't just my build. Just wish I could've given him these roses beforehand.

Continuing. I need to write down my goals, since it is very easy to buy shiny stuff. Instead of "stages," I'm going to use "hours" just because stages is played out. So for example:

Zero Hour:
                Get the car back to original operating condition. This includes R&R of any worn components or components that may fail in the future due to age or mileage.

Perform reliability mods. Anything to aid the vehicle in performing at a high level for an extended period of time. Ex. electric fan, better oil cooler, fresh seals, etc.

Simplify. Anything not related to operation of vehicle can be removed or substituted for a more modern component. Ex. A/C, excess wires, emissions stuff, LEDs, etc.

Clearly I'm in Zero Hour.

Hour 1:
                Drive vehicle, discover deficiencies, and remove the deficiencies. May be car or driver related.

Wheel lug pattern swap to increase wheel and tire selection. Current pattern is 4x110. Goal pattern is 4x100.

LSD swap from a five letter (five letter is the GSL-SE trim which included the 13B engine)

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Bro if you lived close I would totally give you a hand, I like doing stuff specially if it involves spending other people's money; I am fairly cheap as energy drinks or protein shakes tend to be my accepted method of currency. FYI you should look into the DOT 5.1 brake fluid as it has a much higher boiling point than 3 and 4, I am upgrading my brake hoses to SS for maximum pressure to the Brembos. I have been thru a complete restoration before and all I can say is that it is a marathon not a Sprint so take your time and do things once, I joke around ALOT but I know how hard it is to earn money so spending wisely is a way of life. I still remember every cut and drop of blood I shed on my Z and no matter who is the legal owner now the car will always be mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                    Bro if you lived close I would totally give you a hand, I like doing stuff specially if it involves spending other people's money; I am fairly cheap as energy drinks or protein shakes tend to be my accepted method of currency. FYI you should look into the DOT 5.1 brake fluid as it has a much higher boiling point than 3 and 4, I am upgrading my brake hoses to SS for maximum pressure to the Brembos. I have been thru a complete restoration before and all I can say is that it is a marathon not a Sprint so take your time and do things once, I joke around ALOT but I know how hard it is to earn money so spending wisely is a way of life. I still remember every cut and drop of blood I shed on my Z and no matter who is the legal owner now the car will always be mine.
                    One of my favorite pastimes is spending other people's money. I want to drive this car a lot, hopefully, I'll end up in your neck of the woods one day.

Isn't DOT5.1...*Googles it*...nvm. I took my calipers off and my master cylinder is drained, seems like the perfect opportunity.

Most of this car will be labor. Anything I want that can be fabbed, I'll try to fab it. This car will be 100% me, even if I don't have it 30 years from now.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Started disassembly of the front suspension.

Brake pins and boots were well greased and look excellent. No need to replace.

Wheel bearings in excellent condition, no wear at all. I'll clean and reuse them. Plus they are pressed into the brake rotor (good job Mazda! ) Might replace the grease seal tho...

Brake hose shows evidence of cracking. Already have a replacement for that.

End links are trash.

The rotor has good wear and the pads look like they wore evenly. I'll keep them for the initial drive/testing period.

The strut insert had markings on the gland nut, maybe indicating that the insert had been previously replaced?

Control arm ball joint is trash. Going with 555 on that one too.

Springs are in good condition, but the rate is way soft. Have a source on some Racing Beat springs.

Surprisingly, the original tie rods have zero play...just a torn boot.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Got almost everything broken down except the pitman arm which is stuck. I need a heavy duty puller and four letter words to get it off.

I have also committed to an electric water pump conversion by purchasing a used BMW water pump. It's a Pierburg supplied part, CWA400. Got it for $35 after I applied my eBay Bucks certificate. It pumps over 200 L/min, which I'm sure is enough for this little rotary engine.

To keep it budget, I may get a little Arduino or similar to program an operating algorithm for it since I'm not running a thermostat. There is an off-the-shelf controller for these from a guy in Europe for about $200usd, but I think I can handle it . There are a few charts with the PWM algorithm that I'm going to copy, then I can tweak it as I drive the car.

Then I'll make an aluminum adapter plate for the front housing since I removed the stock water pump/thermostat housing. It is easier to explain with pictures if you aren't familiar with the engine. I'll upload those later. I can't weld aluminum, so I'll probably braze some AN fittings on it.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Still staying tuned. I love RX7's. Keep it going! Very fascinating.

I never got to dive into the suspension on my FC. Kinda neat to see the inner workings.

Comment

^^^ x2. One of my favorite cars. My dream project car is a KE Corolla with a rotary.

Comment

This is the iron water pump housing with built in thermostat and alternator bracket. For an EWP (electric water pump) conversion, this will be deleted and replaced...

With this aluminum adapter. This is the cheapest one at $40. Unfortunately, the hose barbs on this adapter are 1" and the water pump outlet size is 1.5" so that would cut down on my flow AND I'd have to run two different sized hoses or hose adapters. I may fab my own to have 1.5" piping all the way through.

This is the front of the water pump housing and the rear of the water pump. They bolt together just like this.

Closer look at the tstat housing. The EWP will take control of tstat duties.

Finally, here is the EWP. Sorry for the social media filter.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I will applaud you on keeping the rotary as the easiest and possibly even cheaper option in the long run would be to swap, around here a decade or so ago you could find RX7's with low compression for under $500 because NOBODY wanted them then swaps made them a hot item just like the 240s. There are a couple channels on Youtube like Totally Random Hands and Fix it that show restoration of parts, i watch it because its amazing how much time and effort they dedicate to restoring old parts instead of simply replacing; they also remind me of Type G on here with his extreme polishing . I am leaving my job next week because i can no longer put up with the abuse and nobody up the ladder including HR is willing to get involved so i am putting all spending to a hault and reflect on where i go from here, i have people making offers but i dont want to make a quick decision that might put me in a similar or worse situation. Anyways good luck with the build.

Comment

Working...
                                X