Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shocks storage.

Hello,
    This would be a strange question, but I bought some Bilstein brand used shocks, they have about 2000 miles on them. But I don't have the money for the shop to put them on my 1990 Accord right now, if I store them in a dry warm but not very hot shed in the back, would this effect performance when I put them on later?
    Thanks.

If they were on the car they would be in dry/wet/cold/warm/hot environment. Not sure if leaving them extended affects the gas charge or not (they are shipped compressed - mostly I think to reduce package size). If you're concerned, you could probably get on Biltein's site and ask the question.

I bought of set of OEM shocks a while ago; they seem to have sat so long that they lost their charge. I did wind up using the fronts on a car and they still seem to operate just fine.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I have several sets of new and used stored right now.
      fleetw00d is correct, they are shipped compressed to reduce packaging, but also to protect the shaft from damage and corrosion.

Best storage suggestion, clean them, pump them several times, compress them, and keep them stored compressed (either with zip-ties, wire, string, whatever). Horizontal or vertical, doesn't matter. I store mine vertical like how they would be installed on the car.
      Temp is not an issue. Moisture is. Keep them as dry as possible. If you really want to go crazy, wrap them in VCI film or paper to prevent any corrosion.

And maybe every few months, check on them and make sure they aren't leaking all over the place.
      Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Working...
      X