Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

What to look for when buying a used CB7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to look for when buying a used CB7

I am just throwing it out there.
    I just picked up my used 91 Coupe, I know I have seen threads like this for other vehicles. It would of been good to know that I should of checked the spark plug tube for oil. I bet there are many little things other members on this forum could suggest.

Did you look through this forum before you bought the car?

^^Photos taken by me ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Stormtrooper View Post
      Did you look through this forum before you bought the car?
      Yes just for a short while. And also another site. I had very little time to make the choice on the Accord. It looked pretty clean and the price seemed fair. Just if I had known a little bit more about the car I may of been able to talk her down a few more dollars. Just I have seen stickies with such information for another cars and it seems like a good idea.

Comment

if its auto, make sure to service the trans often with honda atf only. other than that, its just like any other car.
        COUPE K24

Comment

Well reviewing a car is pretty much standard practice no matter what the car, but there are certain things to look for in a FWD.

There are a million things I could suggest, but as far as the CB7 in particular, I can't really think of anything other than the oil leak in the plug wells, although I've only owned mine for like 5 months so I'm definitely not a CB7 expert!

^^Photos taken by me ^^

Comment

I would like to add checking the front rotors on fourth and fifth generations. I do not know about the later generations. Because they are captive rotors and the work involved in removing them, it is worth taking the tire off for a quick look.

Comment

Check for:
              Leaks:
              spark plug tubes
              Valve cover gasket
              head gasket
              distributor gasket
              oil pan
              camshaft seal
              crankshaft seal

Check suspension components:
              Tie rod ends
              Swaybar end links
              Swaybar bushings
              Upper and lower ball joints

Check engine mounts.
              92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
              2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
              2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

Originally posted by dysfunk View Post
                Check for:
                Leaks:
                spark plug tubes
                Valve cover gasket
                head gasket
                distributor gasket
                oil pan
                camshaft seal
                crankshaft seal

Check suspension components:
                Tie rod ends
                Swaybar end links
                Swaybar bushings
                Upper and lower ball joints

Check engine mounts.
                Beside all of that. Check out the RUST issues on the quarter panels and the trunk area. Best of luck man!

Comment

Originally posted by dhill_cb7 View Post
                  Beside all of that. Check out the RUST issues on the quarter panels and the trunk area. Best of luck man!
                  Yeep. And to add what others have said while anything is fixable you want to check for the big $$$ items:

- Rust (may cost $500-$2000 to fix the known rust areas of the car)
                  - Oil leaks (implies seals are gone, expensive to fix)
                  - Transmission leaks (implies leaks) as mentioned above make sure it shifts nice
                  - Bad/leaking shocks (if broken, you will most likely have to replace all 4)
                  - Muffler system (a whole new system can be expensive)
                  - Brakes (worn down rotors and pads)

Take the car for a drive, check for drive-ability. Is there play in the steering wheel, brakes, or other components. Does it shift hard or not properly? Try all the gears at a slow speed, make sure they engage. Make sure the windows go up properly too.

Best of luck.

Comment

Wouldn't be a bad idea to check the trunk and tail lights for leaks as well.

Comment

Starter/alternator

I had to replace both my starter and alternator around the same time. Not super expensive fixes but are a pain in the butt sometimes.

Comment

So, you recommend starting the car before buying it?

^^Photos taken by me ^^

Comment

you should always start a car before buying! listen for engine noises, and always try and take the car for a drive! try all windows, lights, wipers, horn, stereo, ac/heat, power locks/mirrors/windows, everything! it gives you more leverage to talk the price down, plus it should give you an idea of what kind of money you will have to dump into fixing problems. try driving at all speeds, over bumps, listen for any abnormal vibrations/sounds coming from suspension or other areas....if you do not know enough, you can always pay money to take it to a mechanic to get checked out. this can save you thousands of dollars in buying a used lemon that needs tons of work!

Comment

Not really cb specific but one thing i always do is check the vin with the vin on the title before i even think about lookin the car over. with a 20 year old car you never know what kind of crap some people try to pull.

Comment

Working...
                            X